Groups

Are there different types of sky+ hd boxes?

We are hopefully having this installed soon.
    Are there different types of sky+ hd box as there are with sky+boxes (e.g. different makes - some with inherent and well known issues and some with and without anytime etc).
    Please can someone let me know. Don't want to end up with refurbed and lesser model.
    Thanks

14 Comments

If your having it installed by sky they dont give you a choice anyway!!
    You get what they give you!! :-(

Original Poster

no you don't - I have always requested a specific type of box from engineer and they have given it to me - they have always been v nice actually.

Does anyone know the technical answer to this question? Thanks

There are, some argue that the Samsung is better but others the Amstrad.

Some are easier to upgrade the hard drive, others not.

I have an Amstrad and it get's favourable reviews. But also gets criticised for contrast issues that some claim are being fixed by the new EPG.

Original Poster

right - so there are 2 types then - both with anytime tv?

What is the EPG ? (very non technical person here)

Thanks

I have the Thomson which seems OK on new EPG, Parents have the Samsung which does seem nippy but is on the old epg

EPG = Electronic Programme Guide

The Graphical Interface you use with your remote.

The old Dark Blue one is quite ancient, new one is grey and blue text, not hard to get used to and more importantly has backround tv picture.

The new EPG is being rolled out slowly as they are having problems with it. However Amstrad units are only now getting it (I think it started around April) and there's a hope that because of the delay the Amstrad units will be more stable.

Anytime TV is a feature available on all HD units no matter the brand.

Original Poster

Sorry - forgive denseness still don't undersatnd what the EPG is? IS it the timetable of programmes to record /watch and does this look different depending on what kind of sky hd+ box you have?

Original Poster

so if I have a choice should it go

Amstrad, Thomson and then Samsung as it is on old EPG? Thanks

fairy;6245610

so if I have a choice should it goAmstrad, Thomson and then Samsung as it … so if I have a choice should it goAmstrad, Thomson and then Samsung as it is on old EPG? Thanks

Google sky hd and there's an av forum that will come up and all your answers will be there.

There are 4 boxes

Amstrad
    Samsung
    Thomson
    Pace

Thomson & Pace have the new EPG others dont at the moment

New EPG:

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/sky_hd_new_epg.png
    http://cms.whathifi.com/Images/110690a9fbli.jpg
    http://cms.whathifi.com/Images/11076022dbli.jpg

I have Thomson, and it's soooooo slooooooooooow.

The Pace is slow too as soon as you go into the planner , the new EPG is pants IMO

Original Poster

now really confused about what to get

fairy;6246648

now really confused about what to get

If from Sky, you don't have much choice down to Sky Installer and what he has in stock?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846238
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?32183
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2437
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1732

See more discussions