Are there grocery stores gift cards which limit purchases to food only?

Posted 18th Nov
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Wouldn't have thought so. Are you wanting to buy someone a supermarket gift card but wanting them to spend it on food only rather than alcohol?
Haircut_10018/11/2019 18:56

Wouldn't have thought so. Are you wanting to buy someone a supermarket …Wouldn't have thought so. Are you wanting to buy someone a supermarket gift card but wanting them to spend it on food only rather than alcohol?

Yes. This person in question has alcohol and money problems.
not a bad idea for a gift card. someone should start one.
Why don’t you order them an online food shop? I know people who do this as Christmas presents.
I bring them food whenever I see them but they keep asking small amounts of money like £5, which would go straight to alcohol. I rather give a £5 gift card they can use later to buy some food.
Greggs? Not the best option for food, but would mean alcohol isn't in-store as a temptation.
360finder18/11/2019 20:39

Greggs? Not the best option for food, but would mean alcohol isn't …Greggs? Not the best option for food, but would mean alcohol isn't in-store as a temptation.

Thanks! There is Greggs near them.
Downtownmonkey18/11/2019 20:47

Thanks! There is Greggs near them.

Glad I could help.

I often hand out a fiver card to the homeless (when I can afford to) for the exact reason your looking for.
360finder18/11/2019 20:39

Greggs? Not the best option for food, but would mean alcohol isn't …Greggs? Not the best option for food, but would mean alcohol isn't in-store as a temptation.

I'm assuming that the OP would like to help the person get in a range of food in to help see them through the week. Greggs is ok for a snack of a cheap pasty or cake but it's probably not really going to help as much as allowing someone to buy some bread, vegetables, cereal, meat, etc to make sure that they are eating properly every day.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 18th Nov
Haircut_10018/11/2019 21:52

I'm assuming that the OP would like to help the person get in a range of …I'm assuming that the OP would like to help the person get in a range of food in to help see them through the week. Greggs is ok for a snack of a cheap pasty or cake but it's probably not really going to help as much as allowing someone to buy some bread, vegetables, cereal, meat, etc to make sure that they are eating properlyevery day.

No. Agree. That's why I said not the best choice for food.

It does however tick the boxes of food with no alcohol. Which is why I suggested it.

I don't know of any store that has a voucher for only fresh/staple ingredients. But not alochol etc. Sadly, else I would also have suggested that.

I assumed that the op would be pretty confident the individual would spend any amount given on things other than food, and whilst not ideal, something from Greggs is better than nothing at all.
Downtownmonkey18/11/2019 18:57

Yes. This person in question has alcohol and money problems.

I know that pro been self medicating for years, but always earns enough to pay for it...
Although they could presumably sell a £5 gift card to somebody for, say, £4 and spend the money on alcohol
Frog10019/11/2019 12:13

Although they could presumably sell a £5 gift card to somebody for, say, …Although they could presumably sell a £5 gift card to somebody for, say, £4 and spend the money on alcohol

I can believe them doing so unfortunately. I brought them food
I must say, what an admirable sentiment. Well done you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions