Groups

Are there two different types of PCI socket

Banned
    Just got a new pc and my soundblaster audigy doesnt fit.

15 Comments

Yes, see picture.

Your card should work fine in the slots.

The extra notch at the front, on newer slots, is to prevent you from inserting an older card that can't cope with the different voltage.

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2004/03/01/sneak_preview/pcis.gif

Original Poster Banned

SUMMONER;6639574

Yes. See picture.

so loads of people must buy the wrong cards all the time as they are both called PCI

is the shorter one the newer one?

Any idea what I should describe my card as when I sell it now as no good for my PC. Simply putting PCI down may get the wrong buyers attention.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Damn PC only had 1 sata power connector too, the others being molex so now I cant even put my spare HDD in!

csiman;6639592

so loads of people must by the wrong cards all the time as they are both … so loads of people must by the wrong cards all the time as they are both called PCIis the shorter one the newer one? Any idea what I should describe my card as when I sell it now as no good for my PC. Simply putting PCI down may get the wrong buyers attention.Cheers :thumbsup:

Shorter is actually older. However the long slots can only really be found on server motherboards, that use 64bit hard drive controller cards (ie: SCSI Raid controllers).

Original Poster Banned

SUMMONER;6639605

Shorter is actually older. The long slots can only really be found on … Shorter is actually older. The long slots can only really be found on server motherboards, that use 64bit hard drive controller cards (ie: SCSI Raid controller).

but my old PC (DELL E520 Dimension Core2Duo) could handle the soundblaster audigy card. Wouldnt have thought many servers would want an audigy soundcard either :thinking:

csiman;6639627

but my old PC (DELL E520 Dimension Core2Duo) could handle the … but my old PC (DELL E520 Dimension Core2Duo) could handle the soundblaster audigy card. Wouldnt have thought many servers would want an audigy soundcard either :thinking:

The card you have there (with it's 2 notches) should work on pretty much any board.

Try it again ,It should fit,

Original Poster Banned

SUMMONER;6639638

The card you have there (with it's 2 notches) should work on pretty much … The card you have there (with it's 2 notches) should work on pretty much any board.

The card I have has 3 notches, my new pc only has 2 .

but you are correct as I just fitted the 3 notch card and missed off the end from the slot and it still works :-D

Thanks & repped

now I just need a molex - sata power adaptor lol

Original Poster Banned

tonyg1962;6639684

Try it again ,It should fit,

Thanks & repped

csiman;6639685

The card I have has 3 notches, my new pc only has 2 .but you are correct … The card I have has 3 notches, my new pc only has 2 .but you are correct as I just fitted the 3 notch card and missed off the end from the slot and it still works :-DThanks & reppednow I just need a molex - sata power adaptor lol

If it has 3 notches then it is a 64bit capable card.

Since your slot is only a 32bit one, it has switched down to 32bit mode (many of the Adaptec/Intel SCSI controllers I work with work in the same manner, they can function in both 32bit and 64bit modes).

Original Poster Banned

SUMMONER;6639717

If it has 3 notches then it is a 64bit capable card.Since your slot is … If it has 3 notches then it is a 64bit capable card.Since your slot is only a 32bit one, it has switched down to 32bit mode (many of the Adaptec/Intel SCSI controllers I work with work in the same manner, they can function in both a 32bit and 64bit modes).

thx for the info as did wonder if it would make a difference. 32bit is fine by me as rarely listen to music on pc :thumbsup:

Do you know if I can get a molex to sata power adaptor anywhere?

last question - honest! :-D

Loads on ebay but if you need one fast maplin do them,

Original Poster Banned

SUMMONER;6639754

]Connect a SATA drive to a old style molex power connector.]Connect a … ]Connect a SATA drive to a old style molex power connector.]Connect a drive with molex power socket to a SATA only power supply.

excellent - you're a star :friends:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      4. Sad news about Barcelona26113

See more discussions