Are these 'forward to ten people' emails malicious?

Banned
Seem to get at least one a day promising a nice surprise if I forward to 8-10 people. Are they data gathering emails (in the background) or anything else malicious?

Cheers

17 Comments

Quite possibly.
Best to just delete them straight away. Even if they're not malicious, they are certainly bloody annoying to receive.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DarkRonin03/Boardz/thumb/lollerskates.gif_thumb.jpg

Banned

They aren't malicious unless they have some suspicious attachment telling you that you MUST open it.

Also, you do realise that nothing happens when you forward it don't you? It's just worthless spam that you should delete as soon as you get it.

I hate getting these things at work because some daft 50 year old woman thinks she'll get 19 years good luck or a "sepcial gift from Microsoft" if she forwards a stupid poem to all 8,612 people on her mailing list.

I live off the bad luck that i recieve from not forwarding these

Don't delete them.

Didn't you know that you will get hit by a bus if you don't forward them to 64 people within 6 minutes.

:lol:

modoc;4047935

Don't delete them. Didn't you know that you will get hit by a bus if you … Don't delete them. Didn't you know that you will get hit by a bus if you don't forward them to 64 people within 6 minutes.:lol:

you only dont get hit by the bus because your in the house forwarding stupid emails!!

I don't like them coz they say you will only get a good life/happiness if you forward them......happiness is free and not linked to chain letters/emails, who are they to promise something that is not theirs to give?? it's yours for free don't listen to the **** in these messages.!

Reminds me of a trip to New Quay recently, some Gypsy in the High Street plunged a twig wrapped in a bit of tin foil in my hand. Now wasn't really sure what was going on for a second but then the old hag started bleating on about lucky heather and wanting money for the twig which looked like last decades button hole. Anywho I handed the said twig back and was met with the retort in a hissy raspy voice "I curse you for life", I had to laugh and replied "from the looks of your face its backfired, you need to keep hold of your lucky twigs"

curses from Gypsy's and emails honestly.....

they are just **** - I get enough spam from randoms without getting it from people I know!

delete them.

They aren't malicious in terms of passing information or damaging your computer (unless there is a dodgy attachment) but they are malicious in terms of using up internet bandwidth and wasting time.

Even if only 2 out of the 10 people passes the message on to 10 more people then pretty soon 10 messages becomes 20, which then becomes 40, 80, 160 and so on. It doesn't take long before each message is being sent millions of times. And there are thousands of these dumb messages out there! To make matters worse, when the originators finally get copies of them back they are just encouraged to start more of them off, so the cycle never ends.

If you have somebody sending you that type of **** mail please reply to all and ask people not to pass the message on. In the end it benefits us all not to have this sort of **** floating around the net.

Spod;4048476

If you have somebody sending you that type of **** mail please reply to … If you have somebody sending you that type of **** mail please reply to all and ask people not to pass the message on. In the end it benefits us all not to have this sort of **** floating around the net.

Do not reply all, as that's just as bad as forwarding them on!
The delete button is your friend.

Friends don't send friends spammy e-mails.

Babbabooey;4048648

Do not reply all, as that's just as bad as forwarding them on! The delete … Do not reply all, as that's just as bad as forwarding them on! The delete button is your friend.

I totally disagree. Reply to all makes sure that other people on the list know it is **** and it also serves to embarrass the originator so they hopefully don't do it again. A friend of mine used to send these quite frequently until I did a reply to all pointing out that there was no possible way that Bill Gates could send him money for passing on emails! He is still a good friend but at least he has the sense now not to include me if he still passes on this sort of rubbish!

Spod;4048803

I totally disagree. Reply to all makes sure that other people on the … I totally disagree. Reply to all makes sure that other people on the list know it is **** and it also serves to embarrass the originator so they hopefully don't do it again. A friend of mine used to send these quite frequently until I did a reply to all pointing out that there was no possible way that Bill Gates could send him money for passing on emails! He is still a good friend but at least he has the sense now not to include me if he still passes on this sort of rubbish!

agreed. especially with virus warning type spam. i always reply all with a pre-written response telling them to check snopes, AV sites and google before forwarding them on in future. nand if they are still in doubt, contact me directly to check it before forwarding to their entire addressbook.

works a treat. hardly ever get spamcrap anymore (they were mostly from my mum and other relatives. i think them and their friends are actually starting to learn about t'internet

no but they are annoying

Original Poster Banned

so, do the originators end up with a massive mailing list for which you become a big spam victim?

Banned

csiman;4063822

so, do the originators end up with a massive mailing list for which you … so, do the originators end up with a massive mailing list for which you become a big spam victim?

No. Because they only send it to, say 10, people.

For example, if I sent an email to you and 10 of my friends, I'd only have used 11 email addresses in total. If you then sent it on to 100 people, I wouldn't know that, unless you included me in that list, but you wouldn't because you would have pressed "Forward" and not "Reply"
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Better watch out for these...912
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763956
    3. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1930
    4. GOT Leaks again514

See more discussions