Groups

Are these good subjects to take at A-Level

I have picked Economics, Biology, Law and Psychology to take at my first year of college.

Also with the option of dropping one of these subjects at my next year.

Are these good subjects to take I just need to know?

Because I am unsure.

Thanks in advance

Mighty Mugger.

46 Comments

spose it depennds on your career choice?

What are you good at, and what do you want to do later on?

Original Poster

Well I want to go into Business. But I also want to keep my options open aswell at the same time.

Subject choice doesn't matter, its the grade !!!!

Do something you enjoy IMO

[COLOR="Red"]Depends what you want to do at Uni.

A lot of the subjects you have chosen are generally quite hard though.

Business is often a lot easier than economics and psychology is quite hard. IMO you should pick up a doss subject as you will get a better grade and it will look better on your UCAS. [/COLOR]

choc1969;6233134

Subject choice doesn't matter, its the grade !!!!Do something you enjoy … Subject choice doesn't matter, its the grade !!!!Do something you enjoy IMO

Nah they do.... To do anything engineering or sciency you need maths. I'd suggest maths as its good for any course.

i heard economics is hard man, psychology is class. . am doin histoy, politics nd I.T, just do 3 its way easier

The JFK;6233152

[COLOR="Red"]Depends what you want to do at Uni.A lot of the subjects you … [COLOR="Red"]Depends what you want to do at Uni.A lot of the subjects you have chosen are generally quite hard though.Business is often a lot easier than economics and psychology is quite hard. IMO you should pick up a doss subject as you will get a better grade and it will look better on your UCAS. [/COLOR]

great advice

Tbh if you want to do business course, which i dont see much point IMO, just open your own business, no degree needed there. Unless your going to a top 5 uni it doesn't really matter what you pick for A level. However A level business would help

krazie2004;6233163

Nah they do.... To do anything engineering or sciency you need maths. I'd … Nah they do.... To do anything engineering or sciency you need maths. I'd suggest maths as its good for any course.

[COLOR="Red"]For some of the courses you need A-Level maths at a C grade or GCSE maths at an A grade.[/COLOR]

tony_dudz;6233174

i heard economics is hard man, psychology is class. . am doin histoy, … i heard economics is hard man, psychology is class. . am doin histoy, politics nd I.T, just do 3 its way easier

Economics is a piece of cake, I did it at A Levels and in my accountancy exams...:)

Banned

choc1969;6233134

Subject choice doesn't matter, its the grade !!!!Do something you enjoy … Subject choice doesn't matter, its the grade !!!!Do something you enjoy IMO

Um.. yes it does... He needs to do subjects that will let him do his chosen course at uni. for example if someone wanted to be a doctor and got three A's in Film Studies, Art and Photography I don't think they will be able to get onto the course. Jus saying

checkmate321;6233190

Um.. yes it does... He needs to do subjects that will let him do his … Um.. yes it does... He needs to do subjects that will let him do his chosen course at uni. for example if someone wanted to be a doctor and got three A's in Film Studies, Art and Photography I don't think they will be able to get onto the course. Jus saying

with the state of uni entrances at present i reckon it's all random :roll:

just saying :w00t:

The JFK;6233152

[COLOR="Red"]Depends what you want to do at Uni.A lot of the subjects you … [COLOR="Red"]Depends what you want to do at Uni.A lot of the subjects you have chosen are generally quite hard though.Business is often a lot easier than economics and psychology is quite hard. IMO you should pick up a doss subject as you will get a better grade and it will look better on your UCAS. [/COLOR]

business at uni though is a load of crap, sorry to anyone studying it but a general business uni degree imo ids useless much better off specializing in economics or accoutancy etc, id stick with the economics m8

Original Poster

choc1969;6233134

Yh as in I am into Business so yh I done that at GCSE level and got a A. But then instead of picking that again I decided to do Economics instead after talking to a few people.

Also took Biology which I personally enjoy got a A at GCSE level. Law I have never done.

As whereas Psychology is something new to me, done Sociology at GCSE level got a A and the teacher who taught me that actaully recommended that subject to me as he thought I would be good at it, so I am gonna give it a try.

Original Poster

micoo;6233208

business at uni though is a load of crap, sorry to anyone studying it but … business at uni though is a load of crap, sorry to anyone studying it but a general business uni degree imo ids useless much better off specializing in economics or accoutancy etc, id stick with the economics m8

Haha thats the same thing my uncle said.

checkmate321;6233190

Um.. yes it does... He needs to do subjects that will let him do his … Um.. yes it does... He needs to do subjects that will let him do his chosen course at uni. for example if someone wanted to be a doctor and got three A's in Film Studies, Art and Photography I don't think they will be able to get onto the course. Jus saying

[COLOR="Red"]For most courses it doesn't matter what A-Levels you have unless you want to become a Doctor, Nurse, Engineer, Vet etc.[/COLOR]

Firstly - you must enjoy your subjects or you will not be motivated to do the work!
    Secondly, you must also be fairly good at them.

Your subjects are fine. Economics is brilliant, and is not really hard. Biology is by far the hardest. Psychology and Law are your 'doss' ones. You may however be spreading yourself too thin.

Really, to do economics at uni you would need maths. To do biology or anyother science related you may need maths, but if you dont enjoy or if its not a strong point dont feel compelled to do it.

stay away from Business - soft subject that some dont unis dont accept.

for more advice check out studentroom.co.uk

mighty mugger;6233220

Haha thats the same thing my uncle said.

i am your uncle

(jks :lol:)

mighty mugger;6233213

Yh as in I am into Business so yh I done that at GCSE level and got a A. … Yh as in I am into Business so yh I done that at GCSE level and got a A. But then instead of picking that again I decided to do Economics instead after talking to a few people. Also took Biology which I personally enjoy got a A at GCSE level. Law I have never done. As whereas Psychology is something new to me, done Sociology at GCSE level got a A and the teacher who taught me that actaully recommended that subject to me as he thought I would be good at it, so I am gonna give it a try.

I really enjoyed economics and law, did both at A levels along with a business diploma before doing my accountancy exams. Plus drama for fun which I believe got me most of my jobs :w00t:

emhaslam;6233232

Firstly - you must enjoy your subjects or you will not be motivated to do … Firstly - you must enjoy your subjects or you will not be motivated to do the work!Secondly, you must also be fairly good at them.Your subjects are fine. Economics is brilliant, and is not really hard. Biology is by far the hardest. Psychology and Law are your 'doss' ones. You may however be spreading yourself too thin.Really, do do economics at uni you would need maths. To do biology or anyother science related you may need maths, but if you dont enjoy or if its not a strong point dont feel compelled to do it.

not true, im doing Accounting and Finance at Uni, my maths is crap lol i got a C at highers (2nd time round) and im top of my class for economics :thumbsup:, statistics is what u need to know but u will learn tht in time :thumbsup:

choc1969;6233189

Economics is a piece of cake, I did it at A Levels and in my accountancy … Economics is a piece of cake, I did it at A Levels and in my accountancy exams...:)

easy for you probably, but i just heard it lik

tony_dudz;6233276

easy for you probably, but i just heard it lik

wut???:?

The JFK;6233186

[COLOR="Red"]For some of the courses you need A-Level maths at a C grade … [COLOR="Red"]For some of the courses you need A-Level maths at a C grade or GCSE maths at an A grade.[/COLOR]

Try getting an engineering position with a C in A level maths.

micoo;6233208

business at uni though is a load of crap, sorry to anyone studying it but … business at uni though is a load of crap, sorry to anyone studying it but a general business uni degree imo ids useless much better off specializing in economics or accoutancy etc, id stick with the economics m8

[COLOR="Red"]Yeah I wouldn't do a straight business course at Uni. As you said it's better to do something else like Business Management or accountancy (although being an accountant must be boring as hell).

I'm doing a joint Business&Economics A-Level. It's good as it covers aspects from both courses and how they relate. If they offer it at your school I would recommend it. I also find it quite easy, I got 94% in the business exam and 92% in the economics exam with hardly any revision. [/COLOR]

pghstochaj;6233309

Try getting an engineering position with a C in A level maths.

[COLOR="Red"]No thanks, I have better things to do.[/COLOR]

micoo;6233259

not true, im doing Accounting and Finance at Uni, my maths is crap lol i … not true, im doing Accounting and Finance at Uni, my maths is crap lol i got a C at highers (2nd time round) and im top of my class for economics :thumbsup:, statistics is what u need to know but u will learn tht in time :thumbsup:

accounting and finance is not economics though?!? i meant straight economics

Do what makes you happy and what you think you're good at.
    If you like a subject you're far more likely to do well in it.

I would certainly suggest mathematics for business - it might not help you in your degree (it also might) - but it is likely to help in your future career.

micoo;6233303

wut???:?

wat u on about sa?

I'd drop the psychology and business studies. I'd stick to the sciences and maths if you can, they open more doors than a lot of the soft subjects. It will help you stand out from the media studies, art & drama crowd.

But like somebody said stuff you enjoy and can maintain enthusiasm in.

bellabonkers;6233333

Do what makes you happy and what you think you're good at.If you like a … Do what makes you happy and what you think you're good at.If you like a subject you're far more likely to do well.

this^^^^^

i made a mistake taking chemistry. can drop it this year for A2 though can now concentrate on History more to get myself up to 3A's

The JFK;6233319

[COLOR="Red"]No thanks, I have better things to do.[/COLOR]

Sure you do Like providing bad advice regarding a C being OK in A level maths for engineering.

emhaslam;6233323

accounting and finance is not economics though?!? i meant straight … accounting and finance is not economics though?!? i meant straight economics

ye but the economics i ahve done in first year, was the straight economics degree, its part of A&F but maths wasnt hugely important especially the crap they taught me in skl :thumbsup:

The JFK;6233310

[COLOR="Red"]Yeah I wouldn't do a straight business course at Uni. As you … [COLOR="Red"]Yeah I wouldn't do a straight business course at Uni. As you said it's better to do something else like Business Management or accountancy (although being an accountant must be boring as hell).I'm doing a joint Business&Economics A-Level. It's good as it covers aspects from both courses and how they relate. If they offer it at your school I would recommend it. I also find it quite easy, I got 94% in the business exam and 92% in the economics exam with hardly any revision. [/COLOR]

if your talking to me there, im not at skl im at uni :thumbsup: but ye i agree with tht

micoo;6233382

if your talking to me there, im not at skl im at uni :thumbsup: but ye i … if your talking to me there, im not at skl im at uni :thumbsup: but ye i agree with tht

[COLOR="Red"]
    It was in reply to you but aimed at the OP.

I know you're at Uni. You do mention it quite a bit. :thumbsup:[/COLOR]

The JFK;6233419

[COLOR="Red"]It was in reply to you but aimed at the OP. I know you're at … [COLOR="Red"]It was in reply to you but aimed at the OP. I know you're at Uni. You do mention it quite a bit. :thumbsup:[/COLOR]

:lol: ye kl i ws just chekin :lol:

Banned

if you wanted to make alot of money when you are older i'd suggest Maths, Physics, Economics and Law

Drop Law after the first year if you want. DONT to business at uni.

what are your GCSE grades and are you really smart?

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice and help guys so far. Looks like I will be sticking to my current choice. Maths is a good suggestion - but I can't do it for another two years lol.

Banned

BTW whatever you choose...

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]YOU NEED MATHS[/COLOR][/SIZE]

mighty mugger;6233547

Thanks for all the advice and help guys so far. Looks like I will be … Thanks for all the advice and help guys so far. Looks like I will be sticking to my current choice. Maths is a good suggestion - but I can't do it for another two years lol.

Why not for another two years?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1220
      2. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay49
      3. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​11
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764323

See more discussions