Are these ibm laptops any good?

6 replies
Found 18th Dec 2010
An X60 for £155

bigpockets.co.uk/pro…end

A Thinkpad T42 for £140.

bigpockets.co.uk/pro…HOT

I understand that they wont be able to play crysis but for a 14 year old who is mainly going to be doing work, youtube, facebook, downloading and maybe a few online pc games (stickcricket?) will any of these laptops be good? Will they be slow or fast?

His current desktop has a Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz with 1gb ram and thats fine for him at the mo.

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
6 Comments

we have had a thinkpad from bigpockets, it was quite good

I am a big fan of the X-Series, have owned a X41, X60 and currently have an X61s (main computer) and X31 (backup).

They are awesome little machines, very well constructed and with the exception of the X41 very upgradeable (X41 takes an 1.8" hard drive, which are expensive and slow).

Only downside are the lack of in-built optical drive, lack of wide screen resolution display and for "normal" people the Trackpoint will take alot of getting used to (personally I would not buy a laptop without it, but that is just me).

Don't waste your money on that T42, it's Pentium M processor is very very very... slow and the lack of ram doesn't help either.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 18th Dec 2010

Original Poster

Summoner,
So the x60 that I posted would be fine? Would that be upgradeable (ram)?

acer098

Summoner,So the x60 that I posted would be fine? Would that be … Summoner,So the x60 that I posted would be fine? Would that be upgradeable (ram)?

The laptop has 2 memory slots. Stick a 2GB module into the empty slot and Windows will be very happy.

As I said the screen and the mouse are the main drawback for the X-Series.

What is your actual budget?
What screen size would you ideally like to have?
Do you already own an external USB DVD Drive?

Original Poster

SUMMONER

The laptop has 2 memory slots. Stick a 2GB module into the empty slot and … The laptop has 2 memory slots. Stick a 2GB module into the empty slot and Windows will be very happy.As I said the screen and the mouse are the main drawback for the X-Series.What is your actual budget?What screen size would you ideally like to have?Do you already own an external USB DVD Drive?

Budget: £250
Screen Size: Er, normal laptop size? Obviously not the size of a netbook, but an average size screen.
Yes I do have an external usb DVD drive, though I didn't know that the Thinkpad excludes it (not that its a problem).
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769187
    2. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault11
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427214624
    4. Marmite1924

See more discussions