Groups

Are these laptops roughly equivalent? Please advise

Hi,

This probably seems like a very daft and to some people (obvious) sort of question

My daughter spilt coffee on my laptop recently and it was covered with Argos product care so I arranged a repair. They are underwritten by Domestic and General. As my laptop was beyond economical repair, they have offered a product specific voucher for this laptop argos.co.uk/pro…199

I originally had a HP Pavillion with these specs

HP spec:
    Operating system
    Windows 8 64
    Software - Productivity & finance
    Processor family
    Intel® Core™ i5 processor
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5-3230M with Intel HD Graphics 4000 (2.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
    Chipset
    Intel® HM76 Express
    Memory
    Memory
    4 GB DDR3L
    Memory slots
    2 DIMM

and as a replacement they have offered me

HP 15.6 Inch AMD A9 8GB 1TB Laptop - Silver

AMD 7th Gen A9-9410 APU dual core processor.
    2.9GHz processor speed.
    8GB RAM.
    1TB SATA hard drive.
    Microsoft Windows 10.
    15.6 inch screen.
    High definition display.
    Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
    AMDRadeon R5 graphics card.
    Shared graphics card.

Apologies if this is a tad convoluted. From a very naive/laymans sort of view, I paid £399 for my original laptop and the replacement offered is £339. I get that products depreciate over time, but I did think the purpose of accidental cover was to preserve the value if an accident occurred. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Accept the replacement or request a different one?

Thanks

22 Comments

I'd say it is a fair swap

Seems fair to me. I think I would marginally prefer the new one, as it has Windows 10, and more RAM.
    Edited by: "boyband" 3rd Feb

Original Poster

kvn618

boyband

Seems fair to me. I think I would marginally prefer the new one, as it … Seems fair to me. I think I would marginally prefer the new one, as it has Windows 10, and more RAM.

Thanks for the replies.
    Is it unreasonable for me to expect a voucher for £400, where I could then use against this laptop or a slightly better one? The product care certainly wasn't cheap and I think Currys product care issue a voucher of the product value when it was purchased, which seems fairer to me. Is it wrong to think warranties in effect safe guard a little bit against depreciation?

Banned

kvn618

boyband

Seems fair to me. I think I would marginally prefer the new one, as it … Seems fair to me. I think I would marginally prefer the new one, as it has Windows 10, and more RAM.

Be careful, Curry's have now changed their t&c's about their care plan products, no longer based on value, spec for spec.

The processor in the new one is much weaker but then you have double the ram. If the hdd was less than 1tb in the old one then it seems an ok swap to me. I would try complaining and see if they offer you something else as for that money you should be able to get something better, or ask if you can use the voucher plus pay the extra on another laptop if they wont offer you another model.

Original Poster

poison3k

The processor in the new one is much weaker but then you have double the … The processor in the new one is much weaker but then you have double the ram. If the hdd was less than 1tb in the old one then it seems an ok swap to me. I would try complaining and see if they offer you something else as for that money you should be able to get something better, or ask if you can use the voucher plus pay the extra on another laptop if they wont offer you another model.

Thanks for the reply.

I did consider complaining, but I didn't really know if I had a definitive case. Its useful to know that the processor in the new one is weaker, without considering the RAM. Before its demise, my original one really seemed to struggle with some webpages (i.e email). I dont mind paying extra for more streamlined use and the £400 would be useful towards that.

Personally, I think they should replace a Intel i5 based laptop with the same processor.
    You are within your rights to at least question their decision. Even if they refuse to pay out more maybe you can put a little extra towards it?
    This would be a decent upgrade around that price: argos.co.uk/pro…616

edit: Even if D&G refuse to offer any difference, you could buy the replacement with the voucher and immediately exchange in Argos
    Edited by: "japes" 3rd Feb

Original Poster

Boomtastic123

Be careful, Curry's have now changed their t&c's about their care plan … Be careful, Curry's have now changed their t&c's about their care plan products, no longer based on value, spec for spec.

I didn't know that, I assume anything already covered still remains under the old T&Cs though, thats definitely something I'll be aware of in future now, thank you

Original Poster

japes

Personally, I think they should replace a Intel i5 based laptop with the … Personally, I think they should replace a Intel i5 based laptop with the same processor.You are within your rights to at least question their decision. Even if they refuse to pay out more maybe you can put a little extra towards it?This would be a decent upgrade around that price: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6515616

Funnily enough, when I purchased the original one, I was advised to go for the i5 against some prettier ;p similar priced i3 ones, and I did so without really knowing much about why. I did a quick google initially, and although I couldn't really find much a webpage concluded that the A9 and the I5 were roughly equal in terms of quality/speed?
    I'm not the least bit technically minded, as I'm sure you've gathered

kvn618

boyband

Replacements
    1. If a repair is approved, we may (at our option), decide to replace your product with a new product of the same or similar
    make and technical specification.
    2. If we decide that your product needs to be replaced, but we cannot reasonably arrange a replacement, we may decide
    to give you Argos vouchers instead. The vouchers will be for the Argos’s current retail price of a replacement product of
    the same or similar make and technical specification. Alternatively, the voucher may be product specific. If you receive a
    product specific voucher, this means you will only be able to purchase the product detailed on the voucher.

This is their policy. It isn't protection against depreciation. The laptop is marginally better than your old one and will likely have a longer battery because of the more efficient CPU. You can of course ask for a current Dual Core Intel (And I'd be pushing for that if I was you) but they can reasonably refuse.

lolrita

...From a very naive/laymans sort of view, I paid £399 for my original … ...From a very naive/laymans sort of view, I paid £399 for my original laptop and the replacement offered is £339. I get that products depreciate over time, but I did think the purpose of accidental cover was to preserve the value if an accident occurred.

That's a fair concept, but the concept may not be reflected in the insurance policy you purchased. The critical question is what does your policy state? If the policy stated replacement at the amount of price paid for the insured item, then that should apply. Does the vendor retain a right to offer replacement goods to the same value or same / equivalent spec, where the vendor can decide the definition of "same value" and / or "same / equivalent spec"?
    Possibly worth expanding that IT products typically reduce in sale price over their lifetime, so the item that had a selling price say £399 six months ago may now have a selling price of £349, but if that product has reached end of life / end of production run, the selling price may drop considerably to say less than £300. Point being that if the laptop that you purchased was now being sold (or was last available) at a significantly lower selling price, it may be reasonable for you to accept a like-for-like replacement at that lower pricepoint.
    Regardless, the alternative being offered is a reasonable replacement. Check the t&c that were applicable at the time you purchased the policy to see if the cover is price-paid based, in which case you should be able to enforce a better resolution option.

lolrita

I didn't know that, I assume anything already covered still remains under … I didn't know that, I assume anything already covered still remains under the old T&Cs though, thats definitely something I'll be aware of in future now, thank you

Correct. The t&c that will apply are the t&c provided to you at the point of policy purchase. The current t&c are irrelevant, unless the t&c at the point of purchase stated that they could be amended in the future, which is highly unlikely.

cpubenchmark.net/com…849

That's the CPU comparison. Apart from the weaker CPU, it is a better laptop, so overall it is a roughly equivalent exchange. Though as people mentioned above, try and push for an Intel i5 processor.

I would say it is not fair, the processors are not even in the same league, I would at ;least push for another intel i5, The CPU is easily the most important component
    Edited by: "DweebDude" 3rd Feb

Totally agree with DweebDude, Your're swapping an i5 for an inferior CPU. You need to ask for something similar like this. Just say you only want Intel and not AMD be firm about this, if they ask you why? Just say you've owned an AMD machine before and they were really noisy and loud so never again!! (even tho you haven't). What they offered you was equivalent to an 4th Gen i3.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 3rd Feb

id push for another i5, i wouldnt say an extra 4gb ram is worth the processor drop since you cant replace the processor, if you need the ram then its a fairly cheap upgrade. plus from what i can see on their site the i5 in that range also has 8gb ram and 1tb drive

The problem with processors is it's not just about the first part i5 v A9, the trailing numbers all mean something too but usually only in smallish amounts. In some cases though it can be quite a big difference as is the case with the two laptops being compared here.

I dont know if you have a case and I dont know much about the terms of repair/replacement but it wouldn't hurt to contact and ask the question or put a case forward that you are not happy with the offer.

I did that when my car got written off, I refused the first offer as it was some way short. The second offer came in much higher, it was more than I paid for the car in first place, so i got a nicer one

Dont ask you don't get.

Original Poster

Just a little update, for the limited few who were interested

Was a palaver getting all this sorted (mainly due to the fact no one seemed to be entirely sure which department to pass me through to, think I was transferred to around 3 and a completely separate company at one point), but I made use of the advice I was given and it was incredibly helpful. I stated the points made regarding the processers and I was offered a voucher equivalent to what I initially paid for the laptop, which I'll probably use towards a higher spec (such as those suggested) or the Lenovo.

Thanks again to all that helped

lolrita

Just a little update, for the limited few who were interested :)Was a … Just a little update, for the limited few who were interested :)Was a palaver getting all this sorted (mainly due to the fact no one seemed to be entirely sure which department to pass me through to, think I was transferred to around 3 and a completely separate company at one point), but I made use of the advice I was given and it was incredibly helpful. I stated the points made regarding the processers and I was offered a voucher equivalent to what I initially paid for the laptop, which I'll probably use towards a higher spec (such as those suggested) or the Lenovo. Thanks again to all that helped

Congratulations on getting a better result for yourself!

lolrita

Just a little update, for the limited few who were interested :)Was a … Just a little update, for the limited few who were interested :)Was a palaver getting all this sorted (mainly due to the fact no one seemed to be entirely sure which department to pass me through to, think I was transferred to around 3 and a completely separate company at one point), but I made use of the advice I was given and it was incredibly helpful. I stated the points made regarding the processers and I was offered a voucher equivalent to what I initially paid for the laptop, which I'll probably use towards a higher spec (such as those suggested) or the Lenovo. Thanks again to all that helped

Result ! Just out of interest: does the original insurance policy cease when you receive the voucher for the full original purchase price?

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Result ! Just out of interest: does the original insurance policy cease … Result ! Just out of interest: does the original insurance policy cease when you receive the voucher for the full original purchase price?

The policy did cease, yes. But in my case there was only a few months remaining. Its not something I would take out again to be honest, not really value for money. It was originally for my very accident prone daughter to use FT, but she preferred a tablet. For myself I wouldn't get a care plan.

No way would I accept an AMD processor over an i5 processor.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423814466
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4671404
      3. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2729
      4. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2111019

See more discussions