EXPIRED

are these pc parts worth £60 and would they run top end games if i got decent graphic card ?

For sale set of PC components in mint condition:

CPU- 1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ SLACR edition

Memory - 4 x 1 GB GEIL Black Dragon DDR2 6400 800MHz CAS4

Motherboards - Gigabyte P35-DS3R :

Supports ® Core™ 2 multi-core and Intel 45nm processors
Supports DDR2 1200(OC)* memory for outstanding system performance.
Revolution energy saving design with GIGABYTE Dynamic Energy Saver(DES) technology.
Ultra Durable 2 motherboard features High Quality CPU Power design with Ferrite core chokes, Low RDS (on) MOSFET and Solid Capacitors.
Ultimate graphics performance with PCI-E x16 interface
Integrated SATA 3Gb/s with RAID function
Features high speed Gigabit Ethernet
Audio controller from ALC 889A codec, featuring 106 dB Signal to Noise ratio and supporting for Blu-ray.

Heatsink - Thermalright Ultima 90I

PSU - Cooler Master eXtremet Power Duo 650W

13 Comments

No, very old parts.

Original Poster

Ok Thanks

I think you can. I have a q6600.and just got a gtx 970. It ran the alien isolation and advanced warfare fine. I think it just take longer to load a level buy game play is fine. I ran alien at max setting running on 30inch monitor.

Yeah, I just wouldn't recommend buying a 7 year old CPU to game with.

rev6

Yeah, I just wouldn't recommend buying a 7 year old CPU to game with.

But to answer the question. Yes I would say those parts are worth £60 and will be poweful enough to play the latest games but not upto the standard of a more modern Intel quad core processor.

Good lord, those components wouldn't run any recent game on a resolution of any use to the person playing it. FOUR sticks of 1GB DDR2 RAM? Bottleneck, much?

Supreme Commander, Batman, CoD, Battlefield, Watch_Dogs, Borderlands 2, they'd all nuke a PC of that spec in seconds.

Let's also consider the fact these are PC components and not an entire rig. What exactly does the OP use right now? Are they intending to upgrade their current rig - and will their current PSU support it? If this is an upgrade, what on earth is the OP using right now and is this upgrade even worth it?

OP in answer to your question, I would save the £60 and continue to save until you can afford a bundle from the likes of Novatech, Micro Direct or Scan Computers. You are literally wasting money here. Think of it like buying an iPhone 3 today.

dkl_uk

Good lord, those components wouldn't run any recent game on a resolution … Good lord, those components wouldn't run any recent game on a resolution of any use to the person playing it. FOUR sticks of 1GB DDR2 RAM? Bottleneck, much?Supreme Commander, Batman, CoD, Battlefield, Watch_Dogs, Borderlands 2, they'd all nuke a PC of that spec in seconds.

Clearly you've never tried.

As someone who's actually running a Q6600, 4GB DDR2 and a similar vintage graphics card (a Radeon 4850) I can say that it runs Supreme Commander 1 & 2 and Arkham Asylum and Arkham city just fine (haven't tried #3). Battlefield 3 was borderline (and could have been the card) but certainly other games of a similar age like Guild Wars 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution ran just fine at 1920x1200.

The quad core cpu will be on a par with a 1st gen i3, but run hotter.
I guess it depends on budget - not everyone has hundreds to throw at a kit.
Put a decent gpu on there and it's a stopgap until you can upgrade, though this is a deadend for anything other than a new gpu.

Probably not worth upgrading if you already run a Core2Duo.

Around £150 and you could be looking at a 2nd gen i3 full system with genuine Win7 license.
Then throw a gpu into that.
That's what i did when I had the choice.

Show me where, exactly, you are getting the GPU information from in this post? You keep mentioning GPU's but there hasn't been a single entry regarding one from the OP.

I found the original posting from Gumtree. No GPU.
gumtree.com/p/m…171

Original Poster

I want to build something good but not too pricey thats capable of streaming and gaming at same time an can run games like bf4 and aw in graphics as good as ps4 if not better.

I will be buying parts weekly.

Edited by: "andybriggs03" 9th Dec 2014

there are a couple of games imminent that have released interesting system requirements
one of them had minimum sys reqs of a decent quad i7 @ 3ghz and 8GB RAM, just before you get to the vid card...
that was min as well oO I forget exactly what 'recommended' specs were, but def 16GB of RAM, and I think it was a high end 6 core i7

I'm not saying you won't be able to game with much, much less than all ^ that, you will (God knows I do), just saying that some upcoming games have basic system requirements that are making even enthusiasts who have fallen just slightly behind the curve baulk slightly

niceguyrichy

there are a couple of games imminent that have released interesting … there are a couple of games imminent that have released interesting system requirements one of them had minimum sys reqs of a decent quad i7 @ 3ghz and 8GB RAM, just before you get to the vid card...that was min as well oO I forget exactly what 'recommended' specs were, but def 16GB of RAM, and I think it was a high end 6 core i7 I'm not saying you won't be able to game with much, much less than all ^ that, you will (God knows I do), just saying that some upcoming games have basic system requirements that are making even enthusiasts who have fallen just slightly behind the curve baulk slightly

New games are rarely CPU bound anymore because of how they utilize threads. I see no game that would actually need a 6 core Intel CPU to function at ultra, that is over doing it a bit. I think that one is Star Citizen.

To add, the CPU in the OP will most likely bottleneck the 970, so not great advise.

keluar

I think you can. I have a q6600.and just got a gtx 970. It ran the alien … I think you can. I have a q6600.and just got a gtx 970. It ran the alien isolation and advanced warfare fine. I think it just take longer to load a level buy game play is fine. I ran alien at max setting running on 30inch monitor.

Your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU. You're basically wasting game performance by having such an old CPU.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3933
    2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313

See more discussions