Are these two things distinctly different to you?

Found 21st Aug 2017
Having a raging debate with a group of Christians and want to ask you all to answer this question based on your own interpretation or knowledge of Christianity/The Bible.

Are God and Jesus separate beings or is Jesus also God to you?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
31740025-PldeP.jpg

I thought my ears were burning.
Chasloyal2 h, 27 m ago

I get what you're saying but it seems to me many of the people who dig out …I get what you're saying but it seems to me many of the people who dig out Christianity are definitely not practising Christians so surely that counts as 'religious hate/intolerance' yet invariably they are most of the time the very people that screech you're anti-Semitic if you criticise Judaism or Islamophobic if you say anything against Islam. You know the very types who will talk about Islam being the 'religion of peace' in the present and will even expand that by saying how Christianity is far more violent, bringing up the Crusades from 900 odd poxy years ago I'm sorry but if you don't practice or even believe in any religion yet are selective in what ones you criticise and which ones you don't because of politically and racially motivated reasons you are a hypocrite of the highest order. I'd actually go as far as saying you are very much the bigot you accuse others of being for feeling the same about the religions that you won't dig out.What like the 'Muslim Patrols you get taking place in your Poplars and Leabridge Roads nowadays you mean?

Good points. I'd disagree that they only dig Christianity. I think the vast majority of atheist people have issues with organised religion as a whole. Perhaps Christianity seems to garner more flack because of it's more supernatural stant than say Buddism, Judaism or even Islam, which (I think) show their philosophical roots a bit more honestly.

I'm atheist, but I don't want to yuck somebodies yum. If you've found a philosophy or a way of life that helps you make sense of things, or you feel improves your life, then crack on. I don't appreciate sandwich-boarded happy clappers telling me and my son that we're going to burn in hell if we don't repent or whatever. Jewish people, Muslim people don't really do that. I don't get a knock on the door from a leaflet brandishing Rabbi at 3pm on a Saturday, or indeed from the local Imam. (is that the right word?) Chrisitnity is easily the most brash religion in this regard, even if only by virtue of it being the most practised. Stands to reason that it'll, therefore, be the one that sees open attack... Though I don't suppose Muslim people have it particularly easy given the current political climate.
200 Comments
Google the holy trinity. God is the father,son and holy spirit. Jesus is God the son. Joys of a Catholic upbringing
Seem to be lots of people who feel it's socially acceptable to go toe to toe with Christians digging them out about their beliefs yet don't seem so motivated when it comes to going for Jews about Abraham or going at Muslims about Muhammad, why is that
All religions are them same story with different views on it aliens created us 👽
Both, Jesus is a prophet and also God incarnate upon Earth.
Like Quantum physics when you're observing Jesus he's a man, when you're not he's God
It's like water, they are all the same but liquid, ice and vapor.
Thou shalt not rage
Its all just rubbish, like all religion just a way for primitive people to try and understand and explain the world around them, of course we now know so much better and hopefully in another 500 years we won't have this rubbish anymore.
emporer1 h, 18 m ago

Its all just rubbish, like all religion just a way for primitive people to …Its all just rubbish, like all religion just a way for primitive people to try and understand and explain the world around them, of course we now know so much better and hopefully in another 500 years we won't have this rubbish anymore.

So what do you know?
Edited by: "OllieSt" 21st Aug 2017
31740025-PldeP.jpg

I thought my ears were burning.
Chasloyal7 h, 20 m ago

Seem to be lots of people who feel it's socially acceptable to go toe to …Seem to be lots of people who feel it's socially acceptable to go toe to toe with Christians digging them out about their beliefs yet don't seem so motivated when it comes to going for Jews about Abraham or going at Muslims about Muhammad, why is that

I think because it's the one that most people had shoved down their throats at school. We had to recite the lord's prayer every assembly right through to highschool. That kind of stuff breeds contempt.
Chasloyal7 h, 37 m ago

Seem to be lots of people who feel it's socially acceptable to go toe to …Seem to be lots of people who feel it's socially acceptable to go toe to toe with Christians digging them out about their beliefs yet don't seem so motivated when it comes to going for Jews about Abraham or going at Muslims about Muhammad, why is that

Probably because this is a 'Christian county'. Up until very recently, it was the most common religion to have forced down your throat against your will.

I can still recall a time when I was a young child Christian preachers would have no problems accosting me in the street and aggressively questioning me and making insinuations.
Interchangeable, god, jesus and the holy spirit are the same thing, jesus was created by god from god to spread his message to man who had forgotten their ways so jesus is an aspect of god
Chasloyal7 h, 47 m ago

This is all made up, i'll happily disagree with all religions equally, as will anyone I know who is willing to bother with any of it.
MSK.11 m ago

Probably because this is a 'Christian county'. Up until very recently, it …Probably because this is a 'Christian county'. Up until very recently, it was the most common religion to have forced down your throat against your will.I can still recall a time when I was a young child Christian preachers would have no problems accosting me in the street and aggressively questioning me and making insinuations.

Feel lucky that is all they did to you when you were a young child.
jax6198 h, 20 m ago

Neither exist and never have so both are nothing.

Jesus did exist.
Apparently jesus was supposed to write some of the bible, but god got him a playstation 13 and he wouldn't leave his room for ages.

That's in Luke chapter 19 verse 7.
Krooner35 m ago

I think because it's the one that most people had shoved down their …I think because it's the one that most people had shoved down their throats at school. We had to recite the lord's prayer every assembly right through to highschool. That kind of stuff breeds contempt.

I get what you're saying but it seems to me many of the people who dig out Christianity are definitely not practising Christians so surely that counts as 'religious hate/intolerance' yet invariably they are most of the time the very people that screech you're anti-Semitic if you criticise Judaism or Islamophobic if you say anything against Islam.

You know the very types who will talk about Islam being the 'religion of peace' in the present and will even expand that by saying how Christianity is far more violent, bringing up the Crusades from 900 odd poxy years ago

I'm sorry but if you don't practice or even believe in any religion yet are selective in what ones you criticise and which ones you don't because of politically and racially motivated reasons you are a hypocrite of the highest order. I'd actually go as far as saying you are very much the bigot you accuse others of being for feeling the same about the religions that you won't dig out.

MSK.18 m ago

Probably because this is a 'Christian county'. Up until very recently, it …Probably because this is a 'Christian county'. Up until very recently, it was the most common religion to have forced down your throat against your will.I can still recall a time when I was a young child Christian preachers would have no problems accosting me in the street and aggressively questioning me and making insinuations.

What like the 'Muslim Patrols you get taking place in your Poplars and Leabridge Roads nowadays you mean?
Edited by: "Chasloyal" 21st Aug 2017
Chasloyal4 m ago

I get what you're saying but it seems to me many of the people who dig out …I get what you're saying but it seems to me many of the people who dig out Christianity are definitely not practising Christians so surely that counts as 'religious hate/intolerance' yet invariably they are most of the time the very people that screech you're anti-Semitic if you criticise Judaism or Islamophobic if you say anything against Islam. You know the very types who will talk about Islam being the 'religion of peace' in the present and will even expand that by saying how Christianity is far more violent, bringing up the Crusades from 900 odd poxy years ago I'm sorry but if you don't practice or even believe in any religion yet are selective in what ones you criticise and which ones you don't because of politically and racially motivated reasons you are a hypocrite of the highest order. I'd actually go as far as saying you are very much the bigot you accuse others of being for feeling the same about the religions that you won't dig out.What like the 'Muslim Patrols you get taking place in your Poplars and Leabridge Roads nowadays you mean?

Quite the victim complex you have there.
Chasloyal10 m ago

The "Muslim Patrols" that aren't a thing?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…ols
CoeK12 m ago

Allegedly.

Its recorded by the Romans, they also did the first image of him too, a young clean shaven street preacher with a mop of curly hair. Regardless of you believe he was the son of God or just a street preacher he was good and left a good message.

Would you scoff at Confucius or the Dalai Lama
Error4402 m ago

Its recorded by the Romans, they also did the first image of him too, a …Its recorded by the Romans, they also did the first image of him too, a young clean shaven street preacher with a mop of curly hair. Regardless of you believe he was the son of God or just a street preacher he was good and left a good message.Would you scoff at Confucius or the Dalai Lama

Oh was he, in which book was he recorded by the Romans?
CoeK19 m ago

This is all made up, i'll happily disagree with all religions equally, as …This is all made up, i'll happily disagree with all religions equally, as will anyone I know who is willing to bother with any of it.

Everything is made up until their is evidence, do you believe in ghosts, aliens, the big bang all of them have no proof just theories.
CoeK14 m ago

Quite the victim complex you have there.

Not at all, merely pointing out hypocrisy.

And as I look out of my kitchen window typing this all I can see is our double garage, driveway wall and fields as far as the eye can see, we moved 130 miles north up to the Lincolnshire countryside to avoid all that trash, so hardly a victim
Edited by: "Chasloyal" 21st Aug 2017
Error4403 m ago

Everything is made up until their is evidence, do you believe in ghosts, …Everything is made up until their is evidence, do you believe in ghosts, aliens, the big bang all of them have no proof just theories.

I was specifically talking about the paragraphs I quoted.

I don't believe in anything without evidence. Ghosts I think are unlikely, aliens more likely than ghosts but could be convinced either way, however I don't believe they have visited if they exist. The big bang has evidence.
Chasloyal3 m ago

Not at all, merely pointing out hypocrisy.And as I look out of my kitchen …Not at all, merely pointing out hypocrisy.And as I look out of my kitchen window typing this all I can see is our double garage, driveway wall and fields as far as the eye can see, we moved 130 miles north up to the Lincolnshire countryside to avoid all that trash, so hardly a victim

You have pointed out hypocrisy that doesn't exist in this thread and expected us to believe that it exists anywhere except in your perceptions.
CoeK2 m ago

You have pointed out hypocrisy that doesn't exist in this thread and …You have pointed out hypocrisy that doesn't exist in this thread and expected us to believe that it exists anywhere except in your perceptions.

In this thread I'm seeing the New Testament getting bashed but not the Old Testament or the Koran, that's not a perception it's there in front of me
Chasloyal7 m ago

In this thread I'm seeing the New Testament getting bashed but not the Old …In this thread I'm seeing the New Testament getting bashed but not the Old Testament or the Koran, that's not a perception it's there in front of me

The OP asked about the bible. The old testament is probably even dumber than the new one if that makes you feel any better. The Koran is also full of unsubstantiated rubbish.
CoeK16 m ago

Oh was he, in which book was he recorded by the Romans?

Tacitus And Josephus

Lest we forget no one believed pliny the younger about Pompeii until mt st helens erupted in a way that matched perfectly.
CoeK12 m ago

I was specifically talking about the paragraphs I quoted.I don't believe …I was specifically talking about the paragraphs I quoted.I don't believe in anything without evidence. Ghosts I think are unlikely, aliens more likely than ghosts but could be convinced either way, however I don't believe they have visited if they exist. The big bang has evidence.

If "The Big Bang" existed, does that infer a Creator, or do you believe the event demonstrates a higher being was not required?

Also, if man was created in God's image, does that mean God was a primate?

Additionally, if man evolved from primates (great apes), why do they (like "Rocky" below) still exist?

[ inspiremore.com/roc…im/ ]

Chasloyal31 m ago

So when I give you a clear example of Christians being intolerant of atheists you gloss over that?

You wonder why atheists give Christians such a hard time, but you've actually just said we have no rights and you can discriminate against us as much as you like because we don't have a god.

Oh please don't talk to me about intolerance.

As for Muslim patrols, I can only speak for myself, but that has never happened to me personally. No Muslim had ever preached to me in person or accosted me.

I also was clear about saying up until recent times. But again, carry I with your selective reading.
CoeK15 m ago

I was specifically talking about the paragraphs I quoted.I don't believe …I was specifically talking about the paragraphs I quoted.I don't believe in anything without evidence. Ghosts I think are unlikely, aliens more likely than ghosts but could be convinced either way, however I don't believe they have visited if they exist. The big bang has evidence.

What evidence for it is there other then the fact the universe is expanding and we have a magical force called dark matter no one has any proof for at all which fills in the gaps that make all other theories about matter and universal expansion work.
Error4405 m ago

Tacitus And JosephusLest we forget no one believed pliny the younger about …Tacitus And JosephusLest we forget no one believed pliny the younger about Pompeii until mt st helens erupted in a way that matched perfectly.

Tacitus born 64CE wrote annals around 110CE.

Josephus born 37CE wrote Antiquities 93CE

Pliny the younger born 62CE clearly got his information from early Christians.

So we are relying on hearsay now? Nobody that was alive at the time of Jesus wrote anything about Jesus, actually nobody wrote anything about him at all until after first Gospels were reportedly written. So should we just take the Gospels as true or should we take the writings written after the gospels as true?
fanpages5 m ago

If "The Big Bang" existed, does that infer a Creator, or do you believe …If "The Big Bang" existed, does that infer a Creator, or do you believe the event demonstrates a higher being was not required?Also, if man was created in God's image, does that mean God was a primate?Additionally, if man evolved from primates (great apes), why do they (like "Rocky" below) still exist?[ http://www.inspiremore.com/rocky-orangutan-burn-victim/ ][Video]

We didn't evolve from apes.
Apes evolved from the same ancestor that we did.

They're our cousins, not a biologically identical twin.
Error4402 m ago

What evidence for it is there other then the fact the universe is …What evidence for it is there other then the fact the universe is expanding and we have a magical force called dark matter no one has any proof for at all which fills in the gaps that make all other theories about matter and universal expansion work.

Turn on your TV, stick it on a frequency that isn't broadcasting, congratulations you are observing cosmic background radiation.

If you really think that the evidence for the big bang theory is lacking then you are clearly not educated in the subject matter.
fanpages6 m ago

If "The Big Bang" existed, does that infer a Creator, or do you believe …If "The Big Bang" existed, does that infer a Creator, or do you believe the event demonstrates a higher being was not required?Also, if man was created in God's image, does that mean God was a primate?Additionally, if man evolved from primates (great apes), why do they (like "Rocky" below) still exist?[ http://www.inspiremore.com/rocky-orangutan-burn-victim/ ][Video]

I can only assume you are joking.
CoeK12 m ago

Tacitus born 64CE wrote annals around 110CE.Josephus born 37CE wrote …Tacitus born 64CE wrote annals around 110CE.Josephus born 37CE wrote Antiquities 93CEPliny the younger born 62CE clearly got his information from early Christians.So we are relying on hearsay now? Nobody that was alive at the time of Jesus wrote anything about Jesus, actually nobody wrote anything about him at all until after first Gospels were reportedly written. So should we just take the Gospels as true or should we take the writings written after the gospels as true?

Tacitus was a historian it was his job to compile things from historical records so obviously he wasn't born at the time, to not trust in the words of historians is rather silly, do you believe in the battle of Hastings? We only have the writings of historians and a tapestry that was created years after and modified at some point in time, to prove that happened.

Pliny aint got anything to do with Jesus i was using him as an example of someone whos accounts were fobbed off as impossible until nature proved him right. The fact you don't seem to know that makes me question if its worth even bothering carrying on with this conversation
CoeK11 m ago

I can only assume you are joking.

No, I was looking for a difference between religion & science, as demonstrated...

Erubadhron12 m ago

We didn't evolve from apes.Apes evolved from the same ancestor that we …We didn't evolve from apes.Apes evolved from the same ancestor that we did.They're our cousins, not a biologically identical twin.

OK, if we go with that... did our joint ancestor also have a figurehead for their religion, or is religion an evolved human-made phenomenon?

Presumably aliens, as native inhabitants of other planets (also created during "The Big Bang"), may also have supreme principal objects of (their) faith.

if humans ever discover an alien race where a faith leader shares a very similar backstory would that add credence to the beliefs?
fanpages3 m ago

No, I was looking for a difference between religion & science, as …No, I was looking for a difference between religion & science, as demonstrated...OK, if we go with that... did our joint ancestor also have a figurehead for their religion, or is religion an evolved human-made phenomenon?Presumably aliens, as native inhabitants of other planets (also created during "The Big Bang"), may also have supreme principal objects of (their) faith, if humans ever discover an alien race where a faith leader shares a very similar backstory would that add credence to the beliefs?

Religion was all we had when we didn't know how the world worked. Earthquakes, lightening etc.
You really should read a little bit about Evolution, it isn't even a controversial thing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants