Are Three (network) forcing me to change my plan?

Posted 4th Jan 2022 (Posted 23 h, 40 m ago)
Hi!

Wondering if I can get any advice on how to proceed with my network.
I'm currently in a plan with Three where I get unlimited data/minutes/texts for about £16 a month which started in 2020 and this includes free use of my data abroad in Go Roam countries.

I was under the impression that only new contracts/plans will be affected and told to pay for data in places that were initially free on Three Go Roam.

So I received an email from Three mentioning I can remain on my contract, which will increase at 4.5% each year but still cheaper than anything they are offering for me and includes free GoRoam.

I am now being told in a separate email that I need to choose a new "amazing" plan which will be more expensive and worse than remaining on my contract. Am I in my right to tell them I want to continue on my current contract based on the information I received from the previous email?

Cheers in advance if anyone can offer any advice!
Community Updates
New Comment
14 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Ok, I’m prepared to be shot down/corrected but my understanding was that if you didn’t renew your contract before October 2021(?) then the Go Roam part of your deal will expire in May 2022(?).

I have 4 contracts with 3 that were due for renewal in November 2021 so I took a 2 year deal on each of them in October so am ok to continue to use abroad until October 2023.
  2. Avatar
    Similar thing happened to me last year. My contract ended so receieved the first email and decided to stick with the deal I was on to retain my Go Roam. Within two months they had emailed me saying they could no longer offer that deal and I had to pick a new plan within 30 days or they were automatically moving me onto a plan which would cost more than twice what my previous contract cost was. They've done this to me a couple of times in the past and a bit of research showed they do it quite regularly So, if they let you stay on your current deal, be prepared that you might not be allowed to stay on it for long unfortunately.
  3. Avatar
    Psychobunni04/01/2022 13:34

Similar thing happened to me last year. My contract ended so receieved …Similar thing happened to me last year. My contract ended so receieved the first email and decided to stick with the deal I was on to retain my Go Roam. Within two months they had emailed me saying they could no longer offer that deal and I had to pick a new plan within 30 days or they were automatically moving me onto a plan which would cost more than twice what my previous contract cost was. They've done this to me a couple of times in the past and a bit of research showed they do it quite regularly So, if they let you stay on your current deal, be prepared that you might not be allowed to stay on it for long unfortunately.

Same thing happened to me, ended up moving onto another network, got a better deal and better reception.
  4. Avatar
    If you are out of contract, they can do whatever they like...and they like bullying folk onto fresh contracts !
    Vote with your feet, it's pointless haggling with them as they have stopped that too.... It's why we left.
  5. Avatar
    When you say they're 'forcing' you do you mean you're still within your initial minimum contract period and can't cancel without penalty?

How far apart were the two e-mails? If the initial one was a month ago for example then it may just be a change in policy, while if they arrived an hour apart then it's definitely crossed wires somewhere.
  6. Avatar
    I took out the £10 unlimited everything in September 2021 I think it was.
    I know they will screw me in 2 years time. But I will be on the lookiut for the same deal again.
    It comes up once a year it seems.
  7. Avatar
    You are out of contract so just like you can leave without penalty, they can raise prices / change terms with 30 days notice. It is all in the original terms that no one reads.
  8. Avatar
    Same happened to me on a 3 deal,was told current deal was stopping an told needed to switch to new/ more expensive contract. I am lucky and dont use much data, old eyes and small screens makes using phone for web a slow proces lol,
    so I cancellled/did not renew deal with 3.

I switched to Lebara, no contract / unlimited mins and sms and 2 GB data for a fiver a month first 2 months half price.
  9. Avatar
    If out of minimum contract term and on a 30day rolling arrangement then the terms of the arrangement can be mutually modified by either party notifying the other within... 30 days.
    If no mutual agreement is reached, then either party can walk with no penalty.
    Nobody is forcing anything.

In reality, it could be observed that the customer has the upper hand in 30day rolling arrangements as the customer can request PAC and walk at one day's notice at no penalty and no obligation to pay for the additional 29days' notice period that the customer had previously agreed to at contract inception.
  10. Avatar
    Bluefusion04/01/2022 13:44

Same thing happened to me, ended up moving onto another network, got a …Same thing happened to me, ended up moving onto another network, got a better deal and better reception.

and me so I left and got a better deal and reception
  11. Avatar
    Three did something similar with me a few year ago - told me my tariff was no longer offered and they could offer me a wonderful deal that cost 50% more for a fraction of the data. They truly believed that I would stay with them and, when I made it clear that I planned to cancel my contract once I had sorted out another provider, wanted me to confirm transferring to the new contract for 18 or 24 months, whatever it was. It really was surreal having to repeat I am not transferring my tariff, I don't even plan to stay with you, I do not consent to any changes.
  12. Avatar
    Psychobunni04/01/2022 13:34

Similar thing happened to me last year. My contract ended so receieved …Similar thing happened to me last year. My contract ended so receieved the first email and decided to stick with the deal I was on to retain my Go Roam. Within two months they had emailed me saying they could no longer offer that deal and I had to pick a new plan within 30 days or they were automatically moving me onto a plan which would cost more than twice what my previous contract cost was. They've done this to me a couple of times in the past and a bit of research showed they do it quite regularly So, if they let you stay on your current deal, be prepared that you might not be allowed to stay on it for long unfortunately.

Same here. I got a letter from them around August/September time, saying my tariff was coming to an end, and I should choose a new plan, or I could stay on the one I was on. I was paying £10 per month for unlimited minutes/texts and 12Gb data, with the roaming and Go Binge. I did nothing, and stayed as I was.

November shows up, and I get a letter saying my tariff was being discontinued, and this time I had to choose a new one. I got onto Live Chat, told them I was off, and they offered me the old deal for £8 per month, albeit without the roaming. We don't go abroad, so I can live with that.

Three isn't for everyone, but I work on the "If you don't ask you don't get" basis, and they've always matched any competitor deal I've thrown at them. Maybe get onto Live Chat and see if they'll haggle for the deal you want? Good luck!
  13. Avatar
    Forget haggling with the customer services via live chat or on the phone. Chat to their complaints department who are far more helpful, try messaging their Twitter department as well.
  14. Avatar
    Author
    Hmm interesting, thank you all for the advice! Looks like i'll be moving
Post a comment
Top Merchants