Are you too materialistic..........

What do you define as being materialistic. Would like to hear anyones views on what they think a materialistic person is.

32 Comments

someone who cant live without there for phone a day

Someone who won't throw you their lifebouy cause they don't want it to get wet ............ :whistling:
images.google.co.uk/img…3DN

Someone who cares about possessions/material things than the values of life.Money ain't going make you happy.
No I'm not a materialistic person.

All of us are materialistic to a degree. There are everyday luxuries we cannot do without.

The crux is deciding what is necessary and when something becomes a luxury and how can we do without what we have been programmed to need.

This little joke may be extreme but i know people who are not too far removed from the point behind it
"A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beeeemer!!!", he whined.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my gaaad....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex???!!!!!"

Original Poster

bogeyman;1576009

All of us are materialistic to a degree. There are everyday luxuries we … All of us are materialistic to a degree. There are everyday luxuries we cannot do without. The crux is deciding what is necessary and when something becomes a luxury and how can we do without what we have been programmed to need.This little joke may be extreme but i know people who are not too far removed from the point behind it "A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW."Officer, look what they've done to my Beeeemer!!!", he whined."You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!""Oh my gaaad....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex???!!!!!"

Whats the worst being materialistic or someone who buys the things they want, has exotic holidays EVERY year, new clothes that they don't even wear and then does not take care of anything because they say "material things don't mean a thing to me".

being materialistic is sensible in a capitalist society, due to the very nature of capitalism. being too materialistic however is (in my opinion) when someone puts their material possessions before a human. for example, house is burning down, save the wife or the xbox?

extreme i know....

WAKE UP WORLD,THE END IS NIGH
Seriously,what must it take for some people to see? FYI the "rich" persons weekly expenditure would feed a family of 4 in El Salvador for .........wait for it............TWO AND A HALF YEARS!!!

Original Poster

rehydrated;1576128
WAKE UP WORLD,THE END IS NIGH
Seriously,what must it take for some people to see? FYI the "rich" persons weekly expenditure would feed a family of 4 in El Salvador for .........wait for it............TWO AND A HALF YEARS!!!

I watched that too. The freegans are hypocrits really. What they did they did not have permission to do so in actual fact it was stealing. So much for the bible ey. They relied on money from donations so in actual fact they needed money to survive. They said god provided all for them to live. It seemed to me that tesco, sainsburys and the mugs that bought their literature did. :roll:

There are very few who are not materialistic in Western Society and especially in British society. Our whole world is governed by consumerism and as such materialism is just a natural side effect.

Very few of us are motivated by spiritual, intellectual or cultural causes and spend most of our time earning money so as to be able to buy more possesions. We are usually much too busy to take a step back and wonder why this is so and whether our lives would be better away from the vicious circle of consumerism.

This is not a new phenomonon but nowadays it is more noticable because of technology and the media. It is extremely hard to break that circle and I think most children nowadays will never know anything different other than the circle of work, earn, spend.

For me one of the worst forms of materialism is adults having children to be part of their material possesions. I believe this surfaces more and more nowadays where children are bought into this world as a possesion, to dress up, to show off, to shower with material things in the mistaken belief these things provide love and that love will be returned by the child.
And then when the novelty has worn off or the child shows the first signs of being a liabilty they are dispatched to their bedrooms and the surrogate comfort of a television or a games console or taken to the relative safety of school, where another surrogate parent will look after them, teach them discipline and educate them for the poor worn out natural parent.

Sorry ! now what was the question ?? (Steps down from favourite soapbox and quietly disappears..............)

So, a tricky one –TOO materialistic. Got to be right that we are all, here, materialistic – we’re sitting in front of our computers on a site dedicated to tracking down bargains and giving each other helpful hints on all sorts but, frequently, on holidays/cars/luxury items. Don’t get side-tracked here please by bombarding me with numerous examples of pleas for worthy charities and advice on how to claim benefits or finding safe nursery accommodation or just swapping jokes. I know that. Do we need our stuff, like a new flat screen monitor when the old one still worked fine – is it too materialistic and is it detrimental to anything e.g. family relationships if we indulge ourselves in these ‘consumer items’. Is that materialistic anyway or just the way that individuals in a capitalist society choose to spend their money. If we were not materialistic would capitalism as a system survive; would our western democracies survive? Is there evidence that materialism is bad? If western capitalism was not as economically as strong as it is, wouldn’t African nations in particular suffer more without the vast amounts of aid.
On the other hand, the guy described in the Goldenballs thread is utterly despicable and maybe that is the result of being too materialistic. So the answer is : he is (and horrible), we aren’t (we’re nice).

hottoshop;1576194

(Steps down from favourite soapbox and quietly disappears..............)

I was looking for that soap box but you were using it at the same time as I was composing!!!
I agree with your points

bogeyman;1576009

All of us are materialistic to a degree. There are everyday luxuries we … All of us are materialistic to a degree. There are everyday luxuries we [COLOR=red]THINK[/COLOR] cannot do without.

Corrected your post:thumbsup:

Well I hate not taking my mobile anywhere like when its charging as it feels a part of me despite only making about 1-2 short calls a month and less than 25 texts.

For television it helps me relax and my new place doesnt get a signal on an indoor aerial and theres no outdoor one so I dont feel that great lol.

Money is a hard one, I appreciated it more when I was 17 and 18 and lived off £20 a week but still afforded good food, a night out a week and second hand games for my PS1(this was about 7 years ago) now I go up town but feel worse as I go to Asda etc and unless I buy something I feel empty even if I buy a few small things like noodles I feel better until I get home then I feel upset as im skint.

i dont think someone that has a lot of money and buys things a lot etc is materialistic....i think everyone likes to buy things and if they had a load of cash...they would....being meterialistic to me is chosing to be with someone just because they buy you things....or making choises based on items, rather than people and feelings etc...if that makes sense

I love my 'stuff' my laptop and xbox 360 and my car etc, but id give them up in a second if it meant id loose my GF etc.....

Original Poster

tazandsaz;1576547

i dont think someone that has a lot of money and buys things a lot etc is … i dont think someone that has a lot of money and buys things a lot etc is materialistic....i think everyone likes to buy things and if they had a load of cash...they would....being meterialistic to me is chosing to be with someone just because they buy you things....or making choises based on items, rather than people and feelings etc...if that makes senseI love my 'stuff' my laptop and xbox 360 and my car etc, but id give them up in a second if it meant id loose my GF etc.....

Thats really nice. Its what type of person you would be without them though.;-)

Just i like my stuff..i work hard for my money so when i spend it i appreciate anything i buy....but i could quite easily live without it....i hardly ever remember to take my mobile with me, even tho i get free calls and texts...i never use em so they roll over and i end up with 1200 mins and 600 txt every month lol....i usually miss calls etc...im usless....but thats another story

We have a nice house and computers and stuff, but I would give it all up if it could cure my grandads cancer.

What are possessions without the people you love to share them with you?

^ Good post I agree. Not to be flippant,but how severe is his cancer? Have you looked in to Gerson Therapy? It is expensive,but can be done at home using the same methods cheaply. If adhered to it has been "proven" to work. God Bless

rehydrated;1576779

^ Good post I agree. Not to be flippant,but how severe is his cancer? … ^ Good post I agree. Not to be flippant,but how severe is his cancer? Have you looked in to Gerson Therapy? It is expensive,but can be done at home using the same methods cheaply. If adhered to it has been "proven" to work. God Bless

Found out about an hour ago that its really aggressive, has spread, and he only has months to live. He had cancer in his lungs and throat, unconnected, and the throat one has spread

Knew he wouldnt be with us for a lot longer, but had been hoping he would be here for my 21st, which its fairly definite he wont be

marshallka;1576844

How long has he had it for?. Its a monster disease and more needs to be … How long has he had it for?. Its a monster disease and more needs to be done into the cures for cancer, Perhaps if you think nothing can be done a good donation to cancer research helping someone else might make you feel better. hope he survives to your 21st. My dad died of it when i was 19.

Found out on boxing day about 1, first week of January about the other. Lung cancer has been there 3-5 years, throat is new and aggressive.

I was planning on asking for donations to a charity for my 21st anyway since there is nothing I really need, this has determined that the charity will be macmillan nurses.

Grandad will be using macmillan nurses, and my dads aunty has just died from cancer (day before we found out about grandads cancer) and she used them too.

Unfortunately, with my health, I cant really do any fundraising, but the least I can do is ask for donations rather than presents

kelly_o_fanatic;1576863

Found out on boxing day about 1, first week of January about the other. … Found out on boxing day about 1, first week of January about the other. Lung cancer has been there 3-5 years, throat is new and aggressive. I was planning on asking for donations to a charity for my 21st anyway since there is nothing I really need, this has determined that the charity will be macmillan nurses.Grandad will be using macmillan nurses, and my dads aunty has just died from cancer (day before we found out about grandads cancer) and she used them too. Unfortunately, with my health, I cant really do any fundraising, but the least I can do is ask for donations rather than presents

I'm sure I am speaking for everyone here on HUKD's when I say we are all thinking of you at this difficult time.

Im similar but more so, I messed up my life seriously due to my depression(yes never said I recently got diagnosed with mental health issues) meaning I only ever had 1 girlfriend and about 5 sexual encounters apart from her, and very low self esteem.

I would give everything up,and more so, I would work long hours and spend all my money on my partner just to go back to when I left home at 17 and redo my mistakes but do things right

ryouga;1577939

Im similar but more so, I messed up my life seriously due to my … Im similar but more so, I messed up my life seriously due to my depression(yes never said I recently got diagnosed with mental health issues) meaning I only ever had 1 girlfriend and about 5 sexual encounters apart from her, and very low self esteem.I would give everything up,and more so, I would work long hours and spend all my money on my partner just to go back to when I left home at 17 and redo my mistakes but do things right

Draw a line under it and move on

Kelly _o _fanatic my thought are with you my Grandad had cancer of the throat, so my best wishes go to you i think we all know someone whos had cancer, i donate now to cancer research... they need it more than me ..

ryouga;1577939

Im similar but more so, I messed up my life seriously due to my … Im similar but more so, I messed up my life seriously due to my depression(yes never said I recently got diagnosed with mental health issues) meaning I only ever had 1 girlfriend and about 5 sexual encounters apart from her, and very low self esteem.I would give everything up,and more so, I would work long hours and spend all my money on my partner just to go back to when I left home at 17 and redo my mistakes but do things right

Hey mate i can relate to what you are saying but you can either spend the rest of your life beating yourself up or move on and put it down to growing up.We all make mistakes in life and if you can learn from then then it's something,unfortunately we can't turn back the clock as i'm sure lots of people would like too(myself included).Having the balls to realize your mistakes and admit them to others shows character in my book,chin up and chest out buddy and move on with life.As del boy would say(YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE).:thumbsup:

kelly_o_fanatic;1576863

Found out on boxing day about 1, first week of January about the other. … Found out on boxing day about 1, first week of January about the other. Lung cancer has been there 3-5 years, throat is new and aggressive. I was planning on asking for donations to a charity for my 21st anyway since there is nothing I really need, this has determined that the charity will be macmillan nurses.Grandad will be using macmillan nurses, and my dads aunty has just died from cancer (day before we found out about grandads cancer) and she used them too. Unfortunately, with my health, I cant really do any fundraising, but the least I can do is ask for donations rather than presents

My thoughts are with you,horrid thing cancer as i well know.Mum died when i was 15 and dad died a few years later.Hopefully one day a cure will be found and less people will suffer this terrible illness.Chin up gal and i hope a miracle happens for him.;-)

kelly_o_fanatic;1576664

We have a nice house and computers and stuff, but I would give it all up … We have a nice house and computers and stuff, but I would give it all up if it could cure my grandads cancer. What are possessions without the people you love to share them with you?

Same, my OH's ma has lung and liver cancer and id give up everyhting i own and everything else for her to be ok. she is only 53 :x

Cancer is a cruel and truely horrible illness, most people have / are/ will be touched by it in some way or another. :x

Lets hope and pray the future brings a cure

tazandsaz;1578467

Same, my OH's ma has lung and liver cancer and id give up everyhting i … Same, my OH's ma has lung and liver cancer and id give up everyhting i own and everything else for her to be ok. she is only 53 :x

My mum has it too. Shes 57 this year. Finnished her treatment 3 years ago christmas there. don't ever give up hope :friends:

id love to be the one to cure cancer..imagine how you'd feel knowing you how many people you have saved etc.....

Original Poster

tazandsaz;1578517

id love to be the one to cure cancer..imagine how you'd feel knowing you … id love to be the one to cure cancer..imagine how you'd feel knowing you how many people you have saved etc.....

It is out there i think, we just have yet to find it. Thoughts and love to everyone that has someone they know and love suffering from it.:)

marshallka;1578755

It is out there i think, we just have yet to find it. Thoughts and … It is out there i think, we just have yet to find it. Thoughts and love to everyone that has someone they know and love suffering from it.:)

More than likely already found but not financially viable to administer. I know that sounds heartless and cynical but you only have to look at Aids and Africa to draw a parallel.

Thoughts are with you Julia and of course to anyone else suffering from this vile disease.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2243
    2. Walnut snip: Nestlé cuts nut out of chocolate after prices surge - The Guar…1517
    3. GOT Leaks again415
    4. jeremy hunt £44.000 for a new bathroom ??1212

See more discussions