argh! amazon charging £9.99 for many items now there is a £10 min order!

Found 28th Jul 2013
I wanted to buy something on amazon and have noticed that a lot of things are priced £9.99 which means due to their new delivery charges I will have to pay £3.99 delivery rather than them rounding it up to £10.

I bet they are going to do this with a lot of items now. Whats even more frustrating is I have ordered several items over the last few days, maybe I should cancel and re-buy to get out of the charge :-p

I imagine there will be lots of 'what can I buy to bump my order up by a few pence' threads to follow.
Community Updates
19 Comments
I noticed this too. Really bloody annoying as I've seen a few items for £2 or £3 but I am not paying P&P charges. This has put me off buying small products from them. Pretty disappointing!!
Just buy a cheap 2nd hand book, works out cheaper than buying a cd .
And the super saver delivery seems even slower than usual

I ordered a £9.50 item (Amazon direct) & a cheap DVD (fulfilled by Amazon) on Tuesday. Both in stock ready to dispatch. Usual delivery estimates next Monday - Wednesday.

Amazon only dispatched the order yesterday evening via Yodel and now say it will be with me next Thursday Over 72 working hours to dispatch items that are in stock is pretty poor IMO, especially since it is no longer free delivery on orders under £10 !
Original Poster
josiecookx

I noticed this too. Really bloody annoying as I've seen a few items for … I noticed this too. Really bloody annoying as I've seen a few items for £2 or £3 but I am not paying P&P charges. This has put me off buying small products from them. Pretty disappointing!!

I am certainly not bothered about the smaller items, it makes sense not to keep letting people have unlimited free deliveries of small value items, it must cost them a fortune.

Whats annoying is having to pay a delivery charge on an item because its £9.99 and not £10, I would rather it be £10 or even £11 and have free delivery. Especially if I have current orders waiting to be dispatched which they will probably end up grouping together as usual.
Edited by: "stormydat" 28th Jul 2013
Original Poster
hmmm I wonder if I could make a living selling sod all on amazon for all the 1p and 2 ps to bump up order value I bet people would buy it.
daturastorm

I am certainly not bothered about the smaller items, it makes sense not … I am certainly not bothered about the smaller items, it makes sense not to keep letting people have unlimited free deliveries of small value items, it must cost them a fortune. Whats annoying is having to pay a delivery charge on an item because its £9.99 and not £10, I would rather it be £10 or even £11 and have free delivery. Especially if I have current orders waiting to be dispatched which they will probably end up grouping together as usual.

I understand where you're coming from. Amazon let buyers purchase small items with free delivery. But if Amazon actually sent the smaller items in a more economical way without having to send them in huge boxes then perhaps it wouldn't be costing them a fortune.
I have considered Prime as I had previously had the free trial which was a pretty good service! May have to consider an annual subscription.
Original Poster
I think we should have an option to group deliveries together or add items onto an order that hasn't been dispatched yet, I always click buy it now and then a couple of days later I think of something else I want when in reality I could wait until the end of the week to have it sent in one parcel.
daturastorm

hmmm I wonder if I could make a living selling sod all on amazon for all … hmmm I wonder if I could make a living selling sod all on amazon for all the 1p and 2 ps to bump up order value I bet people would buy it.

Amazon charge pretty high fees (75p an item + % total cost) usually. Plus if you want to bump the order value up, you need "Fulfilled by Amazon" and they charge for that service too
Banned
Pre order an xbone or ps4 then cancel the pre order...
Edited by: "opalpopal" 28th Jul 2013
This is just a small hint as to the nightmare that Amazon would be if they ever really gained a monopoly ---- and the expensive items and tricks they would use if they ever gained maximum market share.
People pay for postage on individual Amazon orders? How quaint.

Prime, free next-day delivery any time you want.
tafkas

People pay for postage on individual Amazon orders? How quaint.Prime, … People pay for postage on individual Amazon orders? How quaint.Prime, free next-day delivery any time you want.

Since when did Prime become free?
Buy prime, no issue then is there, I use it to buy everything I can and I have definitely made out of it.
aircanman

Buy prime, no issue then is there, I use it to buy everything I can and I … Buy prime, no issue then is there, I use it to buy everything I can and I have definitely made out of it.

made what?
Original Poster
My free trial of prime was naff
Take your custom elsewhere. Amazon isnt much cheaper than elsewhere except for one price drops so look elsewhere.Thats what Ive done and saved cash by doing so.

If people buy less from amazon theyll reconsider these 9.99 prices and maybe drop the 10 min to a fiver instead?
Original Poster
I might have to consider going elsewhere as deliveries lately are taking ages.

Just ordered something today and its saying estimated delivery 15th august - 2nd September.

forget it.
Edited by: "stormydat" 29th Jul 2013
daturastorm

I might have to consider going elsewhere as deliveries lately are taking … I might have to consider going elsewhere as deliveries lately are taking ages.Just ordered something today and its saying estimated delivery 15th august - 2nd September.forget it.

I ordered something in stock from Amazon, and a DVD fulfilled by amazon last Tuesday & arrived today. They didn't dispatch it until last Saturday... In my delivery feedback, I pointed out that I would find this unacceptable over a longer term.... Over 72 working hours to dispatch an instock item is bad IMHO.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants