Groups

Argos 16/30 day money back guarantee

i have been looking for a new tablet pc and argos have a few.

i want one to run just 1 app to view my cctv cameras over wifi. it will never be used for anything else so needs to be right for the job.

when viewing cctv on my phone the picture and the footage is perfect with no delay.

on my daughters 5 year old tablet the picture is fine but there is a 15ish second delay.

this is probably due to the 1gb ram and rubbish processor.

the one im looking at has 2gb ram and a 1.3ghz snapdragon processor so should be ok.

problem is, if its not upto the job and there is a delay its no good to me.

ive been onto argos online live chat and they have told me i can return it if it is unused and the box is sealed and hasn't been opened!

i do realise that they need to re sell it and personally i would not buy a used one, but on the other hand, i might as well just look at the website if i want to see a photo of one?

so the 16/30 day money back guarantee is useless as who buys something technical and decides they dont want it without opening the box.

any thoughts on this ?

7 Comments

Buy online. You will then be covered by the Consumer Contract Regualtions (replaced Distance Selling Regs) that in simple terms allows you to reasonably handle the goods to assess suitablity, and you can choose return for a full refund within 14days of receipt (possibly less return shipping costs) as long as the item is in a resaleable condition. The resaleable condition means that you should make every effort not to unnecessarily handle the product or damage the packaging etc.
    which.co.uk/con…ons

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Buy online. You will then be covered by the Consumer Contract Regualtions … Buy online. You will then be covered by the Consumer Contract Regualtions (replaced Distance Selling Regs) that in simple terms allows you to reasonably handle the goods to assess suitablity, and you can choose return for a full refund within 14days of receipt (possibly less return shipping costs) as long as the item is in a resaleable condition. The resaleable condition means that you should make every effort not to unnecessarily handle the product or damage the packaging etc. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

​oh my god, such a simple but brilliant answer.
    thank you so much.
    sorted

grey area is resellable condition. Who decides what is resellable. Argos will refuse it. Once you open the tab and install the app and use it then it would be unsellable. You will get no where.

steveblackman

grey area is resellable condition. Who decides what is resellable. Argos … grey area is resellable condition. Who decides what is resellable. Argos will refuse it. Once you open the tab and install the app and use it then it would be unsellable. You will get no where.

Open the box, leave the screen protection on, charge the device if necessary but don't unravel the mains lead, install the app, assess performance, if not acceptable just reset to factory settings, take photos of device, put back in box, take photos of box, return. Job done. A respected(?) merchant such as Argos is unlikely to overtly attempt to sidestep consumer regs, and would likely be receptive to education if there was confusion over an item that was in genuinely resaleable condition. Merchants appreciate they have to accept a certain number of no-fault returns; these are usually resold described as "like new".

AndyRoyd

Open the box, leave the screen protection on, charge the device if … Open the box, leave the screen protection on, charge the device if necessary but don't unravel the mains lead, install the app, assess performance, if not acceptable just reset to factory settings, take photos of device, put back in box, take photos of box, return. Job done. A respected(?) merchant such as Argos is unlikely to overtly attempt to sidestep consumer regs, and would likely be receptive to education if there was confusion over an item that was in genuinely resaleable condition. Merchants appreciate they have to accept a certain number of no-fault returns; these are usually resold described as "like new".

​Good luck with that.

steveblackman

Good luck with that.

Did it with a phone a while back. Some initial confusion from store staff with returning a web order, then their comment about the return not being new as box seal was broken. All resolved v quickly when I asked the assistant where any damage was (obviously none) and how did the return and its ancilliaries look any different to a new product removed from the box. Full refund.

you are allowed to inspect the goods - hence seal will be broken - thats the whole point
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?68
      2. Quick EBay Nectar Question33
      3. Best IPTV Currently45
      4. fitbit exchange how? (prepaid creditcard)44

See more discussions