Argos 3 for 2 toys refund advice

Found 13th Nov 2012
has anyone had to take anything back they weren't happy with from the 3 for 2 offer?

My problem is that I bought a train set for £49.99, a ride on toy for £19.99 and a cash register for £19.99 in the 3 for 2 offer. I want to return the cash register because the microphone on it doesn't work, the plastic is scuffed and one of the buttons gets stuck when you press it. When I rang customer services they said that you aren't entitled to a refund if it's the cheapest item which was essentially the free item. As I bought 2 things for £19.99 then I would argue that either could be considered the free item. I asked if I would be able to exchange it for an item of equal value but I was told I would have to ask instore about that. I don't really want to do that because I bought the toys for our local toddler group and we are a charity therefore the money was allocated to buy specific items so I want the refund to buy a better till elsewhere. The point is that I wouldn't be having to return the till if it wasn't such poor quality!

Has anyone got any advice on this before I go back to the shop tomorrow? Many thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  2. Toys
  1. Misc
  2. Toys
Quote the Sales of goods act (1979?) item should be fit for purpose!?
just take it back and replace it for one with a working microphone
Wow, that Op has literally gone through me.......... i think i need a lie down.
The deal was you buy 3 items, the cheapest of which is free. If you bought 2 items then you'd pay the same price.
You can't get a refund on a free item. You are asking Argos to refund £19.99 for an item and let you get BOGOF, buy one get one free.
Either take an exchange or pay extra for a different product. No ifs or buts that's the facts.

just take it back and replace it for one with a working microphone

^ This!
They dont have to refund it in this case because of the offer, unless you return them all. They do have to replace the item though since it was faulty, if you dont want the till then say you are concerned you will have the same problem and its put you off and try to get them to exchange for something else that is/was included in the offer of equal or lesser value
Return all 3 items?
Post a comment

Top Discussions