Argos and faulty fridge, I need help.

Found 5th Jan
Last December (2016) I bought a £600 refrigerator, 9 months in, the temperature was going luke warm sporadically. 10 months old an Argos engineer/sub contracted fridge repair man came and basically fobbed me off and cleaned some ice out of the freezer part.

The fault is intermittent, now one week out of my 'Argos 1 year warranty' I have the same problems, a warm fridge.

By law what rights do I have in terms of repair, exchange, refunds?

I don't expect to spend £600 on a fridge to last a year, I'm struggling with who to call, what to ask and what rights I have to get this fixed.

Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
deleted1597344
I’m no expert but I would say that because the fault was already reported prior to the warranty expiring you are entitled to a repair/exchange. And if they refuse to do anything, play your trump card thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml
I certainly wouldn’t be letting them get away with it.
At the very least, you’re entitled to a pro-rata refund as white goods should last at least 5 years. I used to work for Argos so I know they do them.
This should tell you all you need to know. With the option to answer a few questions and they will email a "ready to go" letter of complaint to you which you can send to Argos.
which.co.uk/con…ric
I do believe though, that as the fault originally occurred within the first 12 months (but after 30 days), you are entitled to a repair or replacement and not a refund, and as a repair has been unsuccessful, then request a replacement.
Edited by: "Beebee18" 5th Jan
1. you have reported an issue before warranty expired,
2. goods should be of reasonable quality and last reasonable amount of time (given it is a fridge <1 year is not acceptable)

which.co.uk/con…act
iirc under EU law all products have a minimum of 2 year warranty so go back to Argos and raise the issue again.
Alternatively cut out the middleman and go direct to the manufacturer.
Bet it's an Hotpoint?
Double check your warranty isn't a two year one and get onto the CEO email. I had similar with a tall freezer I got from them. I'd had it a little over a year when suddenly it started icing at the top. It had been maintained as per instructions and was supposedly frost free. Luckily for me it had a two year warranty although I didn't realise at the time. When I switched it off for the repairman, the weight of the ice had cracked all the plastic casing and parts of the inner workings were covered in ice. He didn't know how it was still working. On the third attempt to fix it, they were going to regas it. The engineer then condemned it, turned out the gas had leaked as there was hardly any in it. I had an absolute nightmare with the company that were meant to pick it up, no refund until it was collected and I needed to buy a new one. Was just before Christmas 2016, I had food scattered in various friends freezers. Argos did not want to offer any help whatsoever and were useless. Then, I sent an email to the CEO office and they could not have been more helpful. All sorted out really quickly. They got the collection sorted ASAP. I got the refund quickly and £100 cheque for my troubles which I put towards a new freezer. I got one with a 5 years parts and labour with that extra money!
jude72196 m ago

Double check your warranty isn't a two year one and get onto the CEO …Double check your warranty isn't a two year one and get onto the CEO email. I had similar with a tall freezer I got from them. I'd had it a little over a year when suddenly it started icing at the top. It had been maintained as per instructions and was supposedly frost free. Luckily for me it had a two year warranty although I didn't realise at the time. When I switched it off for the repairman, the weight of the ice had cracked all the plastic casing and parts of the inner workings were covered in ice. He didn't know how it was still working. On the third attempt to fix it, they were going to regas it. The engineer then condemned it, turned out the gas had leaked as there was hardly any in it. I had an absolute nightmare with the company that were meant to pick it up, no refund until it was collected and I needed to buy a new one. Was just before Christmas 2016, I had food scattered in various friends freezers. Argos did not want to offer any help whatsoever and were useless. Then, I sent an email to the CEO office and they could not have been more helpful. All sorted out really quickly. They got the collection sorted ASAP. I got the refund quickly and £100 cheque for my troubles which I put towards a new freezer. I got one with a 5 years parts and labour with that extra money!

What email did you use? Where can I find it?
Google ceo email addresses. There is a website that has them all listed. On phone now so I can’t. Honestly, I had a phone call within an hour of sending it. Tell them every detail when you first contact them.
Ask for the CEO email address and put a formal complaint in to them direct. Prob get better results, good luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants