Found 29th Sep 2008
Anyone ever bought anything with an argos card and is it any good? looking to buy a ps3 but it says 27.9%(i think) APR, does that mean i have to pay nearly 30% extra back in 9 months (the 9 month offer)?

1. Ask
  2. Card
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Card
30 Comments

yeah, it will cost you a fortune. Can you not get an overdraft/small loan instead? Never get a Credit Card!!

You get 9 months to pay it interest free as far as I know... but if you don't then they add on allllll of the interest from that period and you need to pay it back.

Original Poster

I will easily pay it back as i get my bursary in February. Would you say it is worth going for?

nope, get something with 6 months interest free in that case. It's not as easy to pay back as you think, best intentions and all that...

EDIT: Didn't know it was interest free. If you are sure you have the will power to pay it back, fair doos

The only thing I can see on the Argos site is a 6 month interest free option with the PS3 offers?

If your going to buy a PS3 package and its over a certain amount which I think the PS3 package qualifies for then you have the option of taking the 6 month buy now pay later, or as I look at it 6 months interest free credit on it. If used strategically then its a good way of paying up expensive goods at no interest cost. But if you have the payment protection then this will still be added to your account based on the outstanding amount, but should only be about 1 or 2 quid a month at that.

No, what happens is that if you make no payment at all during the interest free period then after 9 months they will add the deferred interest to the total amount. So as long as you pay within the interest free period then you only pay the item amount.

Dont confuse this with the Credit Card which I'm sure has different T&Cs.

As I read it ..."For a limited time only, when you spend £295 or more on an Argos Card, you can Pay 9 months Later.

Of course our other Pay Later plans continue too - spend £195 or more and you can Pay 6 months later or spend £95 or more and you can Pay 3 months Later!"

Hope this helps. Cheers.

More importantly, why the change from 360 to PS3?

Original Poster

I am more confused than ever,

Original Poster

bazzaric;3079816

More importantly, why the change from 360 to PS3?

I want both, i would sell my 360 but my friends won't let me :x

odriscoll;3079827

I am more confused than ever,

If you can & more importantly will pay it off and you get 6/9 months interest free then there's no harm in going for it Just make sure you do pay it off in time!!

Original Poster

Sony.

Original Poster

Can you pay it off bit by bit? like £100 next week then £200 next month?

Get a Virgin Credit Card; you'll get a new PS3 for about £270 and interest free.

sadiebabes;3079872

If you can & more importantly will pay it off and you get 6/9 months … If you can & more importantly will pay it off and you get 6/9 months interest free then there's no harm in going for it Just make sure you do pay it off in time!!

Argos always write to you when the interest free period is coming to an end and give you a date when the interest will start accruing. You can pay bits as and when during that period

Banned

get a piggy bank

during the buy now pay later period. Lets say you took PS3 Package £299 out on buy now pay in 9 months terms. You can pay any amount you want during these 9 months.

If you paid nothing during the 9 months then at month 10 your total outstanding would be £299.99 + £62.77 (9 months Interest). Total amount outstanding £362.76. You will then be required to pay a Minimum monthly Payment to clear the balance.

If, however, during the 9 months you paid £150 to the balance then the oustanding balance at month 10 would be £149.99 + £31.39. Total amount outstanding £181.38. You will then be required to pay a Minimum monthly Payment to clear the balance.

Basically, the more money you pay towards the balance during the 9 month buy now pay later period then the less interest that will be added on at month 10, so on and so forth. these are crude calculations and may be a few quid either side but shouldnt be too far away from the mark.

If in doubt, give them a call and ask them, they will work it out for you. Hope this helps. Cheers.

StevenA2000_uk;3079993

during the buy now pay later period. Lets say you took PS3 Package £299 … during the buy now pay later period. Lets say you took PS3 Package £299 out on buy now pay in 9 months terms. You can pay any amount you want during these 9 months.If you paid nothing during the 9 months then at month 10 your total outstanding would be £299.99 + £62.77 (9 months Interest). Total amount outstanding £362.76.If, however, during the 9 months you paid £150 to the balance then the oustanding balance at month 10 would be £149.99 + £31.39. Total amount outstanding £181.38.Basically, the more money you pay towards the balance during the 9 month period then the less interest that will be added on at month 10. these are crude calculations and may be a few quid either side but shouldnt be too far away from the mark.If in doubt, give them a call and ask them, they will work it out for you. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Repped :santa:

The argos card you are referring to in this thread is the store card, it can be used in argos only, and does not contain a chip and pin.

The normal interest free period is 59 days on any purchase.
Spend over £95 and the purchase will go on 3 months interest free
Spend over £195 and the purchase will go on 6 months interest free
Spend over £295 and the purchase will go on 9 months interest free

If the balance is paid in full during the intrest free period you will be charged no interest, there isnt a final balance fee or anything. BUT if you dont pay the amount in full by the due date they will slap the full period interest on you, which is very high, but if you cant pay it off for some reason, interest is only payable on the balance remaining on the account (see stevens post 19 above for a very good explanation)

When opening an argos card you will also get money off vouchers in your welcome pack, including £3 off £30, £5 off £50, and free delivery on argos direct.

The 9 months interest free is an instore promotion only and will not be available online.

Any questions give me a shout. I process about 4-5 of these a day, loads of people have them, I have one, but my credit limit is only £300, think they would give more cause I work for them!

Hi, We have had an Argos card for years now & any item over £195 you can pay off in 9 months time without interest, We have found this a really good deal over the years, just devide the total amount over 9 months & put that amount away to pay the full total before the 9 months is up then you'll have no interest to pay at all sorted :thumbsup:

Original Poster

How long will it take from applying for a card instore and receving my ps3?

odriscoll;3080175

How long will it take from applying for a card instore and receving my … How long will it take from applying for a card instore and receving my ps3?

if the card is approved you will take the ps3 with you the same day. Take two forms of ID into the store and ask to apply for an Argos card. They will take your details, phone Argos card services while you wait. The whole process takes around 10 mins. If accepted you can then take the goods with you.

Original Poster

Would a Provisional License and a passport/birth certificate do?

odriscoll;3080284

Would a Provisional License and a passport/birth certificate do?

All you need to take is your passport (proof of address) and your debit card ( proof of signiture). You need to be employed also. The member of staff will then phone the application through.

Banned

its a slippery rd to nowhere

Ive had a argos card for ages and the intrest free periods are fab. As long as you pay the full amount back within the 9 months there is no intrest.

I've had an Argos card for a few years and have never paid a penny interest on it.

It's like any form of credit, you need to be disciplined and make sure you pay it back before the interest free period kicks in.

I've had expensive stuff that I've had over the 9 month period and smaller stuff either over 3 months or even one month for things under £95.
It's very handy when you are 2/3 weeks away from pay day and something like the kettle breaks.

Also, every so often Argos send you vouchers for £5 off if you spend £50 on your card.

Argos will set your spending limit at a maximum that will go up providing you are running your account well.

If you are going to incur interest on the account then I would not recommend it but if, like me, you will clear the balance before interest is added then it is a good option.

Original Poster

Ah well i am not working.

dcx_badass;3079874

Where are you getting the PS3 bursary from?

odriscoll;3079882

Sony.

odriscoll;3083199

Ah well i am not working.

LOL after all that If you're old enough to get a bursary or a store card, aren't you old enough to have a job? My son got a job in McDonalds as soon as he was old enough ( 17) which pays about £35 a day at first, which isnt too bad, and they will work your shifts around your college stuff.

I just cancelled mine.
I payed the outstanding balance a week ago... And today I received a letter asking me for owed money + £50 interest because the payment didn´t go through.
Never again.

Hi I desperately need a sofa, I'm waiting for my new argos store card. Anybody got any ideas what the minimum to maximum credit limit would be ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…52114
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522882
    3. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…33
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 192 ***721

See more discussions