Argos charging for same day delivery but delivering next day?

Posted 7th Nov
Can we talk about this? Anyone else experienced this? So my sister paid for same day delivery, she rang up when it didn’t turn up, apparently they couldn’t get the item on the van (it was smallish btw) so it turned up today instead, basically she now paid for next day delivery which she could have just use her prime for on amazon except she wanted the item the same day.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time it has happened to people I know, the only reason I am questioning it, because it’s not Christmas season yet and you normally shrug off when something doesn’t show up, you have to give companies like up to 24hrs before you can get mad really right? But if it’s happened more than once & I want to ask Hotdeals peeps if they have experienced the same thing but they also shrugged it off as being a onetime thing, but when it happened more than once, you begin to question their same day delivery service advert.

But also it could have been a genuine one time occurrence, that’s why I am asking if it’s happened to you?

I’m just putting it out there to ask people if they have had the same experience recently with Argos & maybe instead of advertising same day delivery (which always has been in the past & it’s great) but just be honest and say, next day delivery which is fine, but Argos then need to realise that they aren’t the only company then to offer that next day service at that price.

but they know people will just choose other companies instead, I mean so may charge that exact same price for next day, so Argos doesn’t seem particularly special anymore.

that was the idea behind this service originally to undercut other companies, by saying “oh we can get the item to you the same day service” They were probably losing a lot of money over same day delivery, which is fair enough.

but with Christmas period coming up if people are overwhelmed & want to use the same day delivery because say they could have a day off work or whatever & think oh for convenience I’ll use this service & then the item they ordered doesn’t show & they have to be in work the next day, that’s where their Offer doesn’t seem as good anymore than any other company.

btw I know what you are thinking, yes it was advertised as same day delivery on the item, my sister checked it several times over, no it wasn’t too big that it wouldn’t have fit in a mini, in fact it would have fit in a basket on a bicycle just about to be honest, so size & weight is not the issues here.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Ring them and say you want a refund for delivery.
I have on at least 4 times.
Always got a refund.
Ive also used how do i return it at your cost.
19 Comments
Used loads of times and never had any issues, always find argos good.
Presumably there is a cut off time when placing an order for next day delivery?
Ring them and say you want a refund for delivery.
I have on at least 4 times.
Always got a refund.
Ive also used how do i return it at your cost.
JimboParrot07/11/2019 11:05

Presumably there is a cut off time when placing an order for next day …Presumably there is a cut off time when placing an order for next day delivery?

Before 6pm
Then You get to pick a slot for delivery that day which is confirmed.
Perhaps this is just down to your local Argos store and delivery team
JimboParrot07/11/2019 11:05

Presumably there is a cut off time when placing an order for next day …Presumably there is a cut off time when placing an order for next day delivery?

10am?
bigwheels07/11/2019 11:10

Ring them and say you want a refund for delivery.I have on at least 4 …Ring them and say you want a refund for delivery.I have on at least 4 times.Always got a refund.Ive also used how do i return it at your cost.

Thanks for that info.
When they say they couldn't get the item "on the van" they may have been referring to the 'scheduling' rather than the size - unless they specifically used size as the excuse. I did logistics for a firm handling deliveries for several years so I know this to be an issue. Not withstanding your issue, the sheer volume of customers who would try and 'squeeze' an extra delivery in after the order cut off would make my head spin! Some you could accommodate, some just impossible to do. Some insisted we drive 100 miles out of our way as "They MUST have their delivery."

I do understand all the usual arguments - i.e. "they shouldn't offer a service if they can't provide it" and "I paid for 'x' day delivery so that's what it should be" etc. Sadly, real life doesn't always work how you want it to. Real people are involved behind the scenes and that all adds to the mixture of problems that arise. A company won't put out a 'special' van JUST with one item on (although ours DID sometimes!) as it's not economically viable. Also, you'd then need someone to do extra time to get that delivery done - which some won't do.

Imagine you're the driver. This extra delivery might get 'slotted' in and take you an extra 5 mins. Fair enough. But if this one is 'added' on to the tail end and will take you an extra hour round trip - no. As @JimboParrot rightfully said, there are order cut-off times in the mix too, which means added processing, picking, packing and loading to consider. Having been on both sides of the fence, I have a great deal of respect for delivery drivers and the team behind them. It might all seem quite arbitrary but logistics can be a nightmare! Hence the saying...

All I would say is to echo @bigwheels excellent comment to complain to the company. You don't have to go 'all guns blazing' as you have a valid argument and most would recognise this fact. If you paid for same day and that didn't happen, then you didn't get what you paid for. I know you shouldn't 'have' to do this but life's funny like that...

All the best to you, @marc1982 - and your sister!
Phsycronix07/11/2019 11:58

When they say they couldn't get the item "on the van" they may have been …When they say they couldn't get the item "on the van" they may have been referring to the 'scheduling' rather than the size - unless they specifically used size as the excuse. I did logistics for a firm handling deliveries for several years so I know this to be an issue. Not withstanding your issue, the sheer volume of customers who would try and 'squeeze' an extra delivery in after the order cut off would make my head spin! Some you could accommodate, some just impossible to do. Some insisted we drive 100 miles out of our way as "They MUST have their delivery."I do understand all the usual arguments - i.e. "they shouldn't offer a service if they can't provide it" and "I paid for 'x' day delivery so that's what it should be" etc. Sadly, real life doesn't always work how you want it to. Real people are involved behind the scenes and that all adds to the mixture of problems that arise. A company won't put out a 'special' van JUST with one item on (although ours DID sometimes!) as it's not economically viable. Also, you'd then need someone to do extra time to get that delivery done - which some won't do.Imagine you're the driver. This extra delivery might get 'slotted' in and take you an extra 5 mins. Fair enough. But if this one is 'added' on to the tail end and will take you an extra hour round trip - no. As @JimboParrot rightfully said, there are order cut-off times in the mix too, which means added processing, picking, packing and loading to consider. Having been on both sides of the fence, I have a great deal of respect for delivery drivers and the team behind them. It might all seem quite arbitrary but logistics can be a nightmare! Hence the saying...All I would say is to echo @bigwheels excellent comment to complain to the company. You don't have to go 'all guns blazing' as you have a valid argument and most would recognise this fact. If you paid for same day and that didn't happen, then you didn't get what you paid for. I know you shouldn't 'have' to do this but life's funny like that...All the best to you, @marc1982 - and your sister!

I understand thanks, I shall pass onto my sister, yeah she ordered 10am yesterday not last minute, I think that’s where the frustration came from, but that’s why I wanted informed opinions rather than letting her to go off on Argos on the phone, I prefer to gather information first, because for one it’s not always the delivery companies fault, two there could be more factors involved such as weather conditions, traffic, or as we have now found out a lot more to it than it seems behind the scenes. But on the flip side I wanted to see if this was a common occurrence or just a occasional blip. Thank you for the detailed information again.
marc198207/11/2019 12:16

I understand thanks, I shall pass onto my sister, yeah she ordered 10am …I understand thanks, I shall pass onto my sister, yeah she ordered 10am yesterday not last minute, I think that’s where the frustration came from, but that’s why I wanted informed opinions rather than letting her to go off on Argos on the phone, I prefer to gather information first, because for one it’s not always the delivery companies fault, two there could be more factors involved such as weather conditions, traffic, or as we have now found out a lot more to it than it seems behind the scenes. But on the flip side I wanted to see if this was a common occurrence or just a occasional blip. Thank you for the detailed information again.

Very sensible approach, marc. Extenuating circumstances can always play a part but of course, that doesn't help US when we want our goodies eh? I've been on the receiving end too. However, if the order was placed relatively early in the day, I suspect something else in play here.

Simple 'error' (item wasn't processed correctly and popped up later in the day = spanner in the works) or perhaps they simply didn't have the item in stock - reported too late by the 'picker' on duty. It could even be something like it was damaged and the only one they had - or the picker/packer could've even damaged it! Thing is, you'll probably never know. We had ALL these things happen where I worked - and then some! Hehe. The stories I could tell...
Can someone bullet point the novel please as I fell asleep reading it. Something about Argos was the start...
Bargainhead07/11/2019 15:31

Can someone bullet point the novel please as I fell asleep reading it. …Can someone bullet point the novel please as I fell asleep reading it. Something about Argos was the start...

Ok boomer
Edited by: "marc1982" 7th Nov
Bargainhead08/11/2019 13:08

Lol you go from a novel to one word...

Well seeing as a novel as you put it, (a few paragraphs) seemed too long & boring for your so called bargained Head.

i thought I’d simplify it for you as little as possible.

Clearly my post was too long for you, instead of commenting, but in reality I clearly I got you interested, or otherwise you’d have moved on and ignored the post.

thats what I do, get people interested.
marc198208/11/2019 13:23

Well seeing as a novel as you put it, (a few paragraphs) seemed too long & …Well seeing as a novel as you put it, (a few paragraphs) seemed too long & boring for your so called bargained Head.i thought I’d simplify it for you as little as possible.Clearly my post was too long for you, instead of commenting, but in reality I clearly I got you interested, or otherwise you’d have moved on and ignored the post.thats what I do, get people interested.

What we talking about again???
I would ask for a refund on the delivery,as you have got late delivery if it's not been too much of a inconvenience I would just keep it at that if next time you definitely need the item on same day then either ring them too make sure they can definitely deliver it on same day as you have paid previously and it's not been sent on same day this way if there's any issues they should be able too tell you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants