Expired

Argos Ebay Outlet Refurbished Experiences?

Found 20th Jul 2012
Anyone bought anything refurbished from Argos' ebay outlet?

Looking at buying a refurbished camera as it's quite cheap but I never buy refurbished usually (but I'm really pinching pennies atm), anyone got any experience with them?

Any help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
32 Comments
Mixed experiences - iPad was terrible but luckily got replaced under warranty by Apple, a camera was pretty much as new.
Bought a TomTom Start a while back at a good price but they couldn't fulfil the order. I chased them for 2 weeks about the delivery and they then said they hadn't received the order.

So I placed the order again and it turned up quickly but without a user guide. It was for my Granddad so had to download one off the internet.
didn't have a prob with the sony camera i ordered came quickly too
Got a Samsung digital camera last week, as new. Had a number before (kids keep losing them) all fine. The boxes are a bit ratty sometimes, but the goods themselves are always (so far) spot on.
Bought my dads Acer netbook from there and came in pretty much mint condition. Works great must have been a customer return cos they screwed the OS or something. No marks no nothing no problem.
Original Poster
Bought a camcorder. Turned up completely unpackaged except for the box it came in and it was dumped on my doorstep. Opened it and it was broken straight out of the box. FUMING.
Edited by: "JamesClark1991" 31st Jul 2012
JamesClark1991

Bought a camcorder. Turned up completely unpackaged except for the box … Bought a camcorder. Turned up completely unpackaged except for the box it came in and it was dumped on my doorstep. Opened it and it was broken straight out of the box. FUMING.

Was it yodel that delivered it ?
Original Poster
calum c

Was it yodel that delivered it ?

Wouldn't be surprised! haha

Literaly heard someone knock my door, immediately legged it downstairs and they had already gone and just dumped it on my doorstep. Have to wait 1week+ for a Argos refund aswell now. So annoying. Should have stuck to my own rule of not buying refurbished!
We've bought several refurbished items from Argos outlet, including 2 netbooks, everything has always been perfectly fine. No complaints at all. Would recommend and happily use again.
Banned
Outlet store is for customer returns under the 14 day money back guarantee, nothing usually wrong with the items. They are cleaned up of prints and sent back out.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 22nd Oct 2012
Original Poster
lumoruk

Outlet store is for customer returns under the 14 day money back … Outlet store is for customer returns under the 14 day money back guarantee, nothing usually wrong with the items. They are cleaned up of prints and sent back out.

Ahh I see, well clearly someone returned a camcorder that was broken, got refunded. Then some moron at Argos put it straight back up for sale on the outlet website. Still, was down £4 and a heck of a lot of my time. Useless.
Avoid refurbs from Argos, waste of time and money.
Purchased a Sony DVD player a week ago, advertised as refurbished When it arrived I was amazed it was brand new. Last years price was £44.95 only cost me £18.00 post free as well.
Hi I've wanted a 42" plasma Panasonic tv for some time but not been able to afford it. But now I've stumbled upon a refurbished Argos tv but never considered refurb. Can anyone tell of good or bad experiences dealing with this method? Help greatly appreciated. Taffy.
Original Poster
thewelshwizard

Hi I've wanted a 42" plasma Panasonic tv for some time but not been able … Hi I've wanted a 42" plasma Panasonic tv for some time but not been able to afford it. But now I've stumbled upon a refurbished Argos tv but never considered refurb. Can anyone tell of good or bad experiences dealing with this method? Help greatly appreciated. Taffy.

Keep your money and run. It's too good to be true...
thewelshwizard

Hi I've wanted a 42" plasma Panasonic tv for some time but not been able … Hi I've wanted a 42" plasma Panasonic tv for some time but not been able to afford it. But now I've stumbled upon a refurbished Argos tv but never considered refurb. Can anyone tell of good or bad experiences dealing with this method? Help greatly appreciated. Taffy.

The pannys they do are not too bad.
If you get the chance, better off going Clearance Bargains. These are the final clearance arm of Argos.
You can get some amazing deals, just don't buy bush TV's!
I
These are physical, real world does that you have to go to. They do Not sell over the phone/net.

Stores are in Corby, Stanley, Darlington and Walsall.
Edited by: "hapless" 4th Sep 2014
Bought a toshiba laptop. Apart from the box being a bit tatty it appeared to be brand new.
i bought a tv and right out of the box is was broken ,, smashed remote and a a screen with a horizontal line. requested a replacement only to be told they dont do replacements......strange considering their 6 month warranty states they do...... call centre staff very rude and hang up on customers...... will never ever buy from these rip of merchants again and advise others not to either
Banned
try bargain crazy refurbs never had a problem usually new items, just opened box.
Original Poster
chinesegld

i bought a tv and right out of the box is was broken ,, smashed remote … i bought a tv and right out of the box is was broken ,, smashed remote and a a screen with a horizontal line. requested a replacement only to be told they dont do replacements......strange considering their 6 month warranty states they do...... call centre staff very rude and hang up on customers...... will never ever buy from these rip of merchants again and advise others not to either

I was also told no replacements are available on refurbished items, only refunds, oh and they wouldn't refund my original postage cost. So basically I paid £4 for a broken item to arrive on my doorstep and for Argos to look after my £90 for 3-5 working days.
Original Poster
My mum just came home from Argos with a new house phone. There was a "quality inspected" sticker across the seal on the box. Of course, it was dead upon setup. Obviously refurbished (two mobile numbers punched into the call history) and the store had just plain re-sealed the box and re-sold it broken at full price. I'm beginning to hate this company.
ive had a couple of netbooks from them and the only thing that i spotted was one of the rubber feet was missing....was more than happy with them.
Ordered a camera for my daughthers christmas a few years back but arrived all scratched an very used so sent it back without any issues.
if its alot cheaper than new then worth the ganble in my opinion
I've bought more than 10 laptops with them all arrived like new no problems at all.
i bought a laptop and it was badly scratched and had been dropped and dented on the cd rom. It hadnt seen a refurb. just a different company re boxing it. sent it back got a higher spec model cheaper and new on amazon. They can apparently only authorise a further 10% max if you want it but for less, as a partial refund.
Edited by: "joxeruk2000" 23rd Oct 2014
I ordered a TV last week, It turned up and is like new, However the remote control was missing, They're sending me the remote, Luckily I've got a universal remote that works for now.
I kind of hate this whole Refurbed thing. You just don't know if you're getting something like new, or totally used. eBay needs to tighten up its policy on allowing anyone to label anything as Refurbished. It'd be better to have the Like new, very good, acceptable, etc qualification, instead of this misleading Refurb b/s.
I've had Sony TV, laptop and tablets for the kids and all have been mint. Would buy from again
JamesClark1991

Anyone bought anything refurbished from Argos' ebay outlet?Looking … Anyone bought anything refurbished from Argos' ebay outlet?Looking at buying a refurbished camera as it's quite cheap but I never buy refurbished usually (but I'm really pinching pennies atm), anyone got any experience with them?Any help appreciated

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAMERS, THE SELLING ONLY RUBISH, I BOUGHT A COOKER FROM THEM AND ADTER 2 MONTH WAS DAMAGE, THHEY SEND SOME ONE TO FISED AND NOW IS DAMAGEW AGIA, AND THE TOLD ME THE ITEM HAVE ONLY ONE YEAR GUARANTY, FOR A COOKER,
NOW I DO NEED TO PUT IN THE BIN AFTER 1 YEAR THE COOKER AND GET A NEW ONE,
THEY SELLING ONLY DAMAGE ITEMS AND WILLNOT WORKK FOR MORE THAN ONE YEARS
BE WARE OF ARGOS AULET, SHOULD BE SCAMER ARGOS
Bought a laptop from them yesterday that was delivered today. I was impressed until I looked at it. It's a much much lower spec model that would cost less new than what I paid refurbished. Very disappointed.
Original Poster
theshunta

Bought a laptop from them yesterday that was delivered today. I was … Bought a laptop from them yesterday that was delivered today. I was impressed until I looked at it. It's a much much lower spec model that would cost less new than what I paid refurbished. Very disappointed.

And so Argos continue to be useless...
So you wouldn't recommend getting a refurbished Macbook Pro from the Argos/Ebay outlet? I've recently converted Apple after many years of resistance, but I cannot stand Windows 8/10. No way am I going to pay full price for a new Macbook, but I can't really take the risk and just buy from any user, so a refurb from a "name" like Argos seems like a good compromise. I've also seen an option for to buy a used MBP with like, 9 months of Apple Care left, anybody want to weigh in?
Original Poster
BooJiDoo

So you wouldn't recommend getting a refurbished Macbook Pro from the … So you wouldn't recommend getting a refurbished Macbook Pro from the Argos/Ebay outlet? I've recently converted Apple after many years of resistance, but I cannot stand Windows 8/10. No way am I going to pay full price for a new Macbook, but I can't really take the risk and just buy from any user, so a refurb from a "name" like Argos seems like a good compromise. I've also seen an option for to buy a used MBP with like, 9 months of Apple Care left, anybody want to weigh in?

This is a general rule of thumb, do not buy second hand hardware. This is a golden rule, never buy second hand hardware from Argos.

Student discount is your best bet with Apple. You gotta pay to play unfortunately.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions