Argos glitch and money not return

Found 19th Jul
on 2 of July Argos have a glitch if you bought a memory card you get everything else 50% off. I have order DJI drone for £649 as fast track. next day they cancel my order and receive email that I received my refund in the next 5 days. today is the 19 of July. I haven't receivey refund yet. is there a law I can claim interest or compensation? many thanks and sorry for my English grammar. they have taken my money on 4 of July.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It's important to quantify things.

OP, I had your exact same argument about interest positioned to me as a customer service representative a few years ago.

My response was this:

"I've calculated the interest based on standard industry accepted bank rates, and it comes out to 15p. We can now do one of two things. Option 1 is that if you believe 15p is unfair, then you can escalate your claim to a higher authority, and cause absolute havoc with our internal legal departments. That might sound like fun, but the most compensation you will get from this route is 15p, and you may have to end up speaking in court and there is also a real possibility that you personally would have to fund the costs from our legal department for an unfair claim. These costs would amount to at least £2,000 and we would look to you to pay them.

Option 2 is that you just accept that interest rates are low, accept my apology, and I can arrange for a £5 voucher to be sent to you, and even that's being generous. Your choice."
Edited by: "weekender" 19th Jul
So how much interest do you get on your account? You were quite happy to benefit for a half price drone when you knew it was a glitch. You would've been quite happy for Argos to be hundreds of pounds out of pocket to your gain. Get real.
41 Comments
In a word, no. If they have not refunded within 28 days of agreeing to though, you have chargeback rights
If you take advantage of a glitch, sometimes it won't pay off but don't worry they are a large company and they will refund you. I had an issue with payment for a tablet. They took it and told me five days for the refund (seems to be the stock answer) it took six days.
psychobitchfromhell19 m ago

In a word, no. If they have not refunded within 28 days of agreeing to …In a word, no. If they have not refunded within 28 days of agreeing to though, you have chargeback rights

Thank you, if I'm going to call them or go to store they sure have to refund it to me. Just hoping there is a law that I can charge them interest per day or compensation 😄 thank you
mrty7 m ago

If you take advantage of a glitch, sometimes it won't pay off but don't …If you take advantage of a glitch, sometimes it won't pay off but don't worry they are a large company and they will refund you. I had an issue with payment for a tablet. They took it and told me five days for the refund (seems to be the stock answer) it took six days.

It looks like I have to pay a visit to store to let them refund me. Thanks
Conmeo_Conxho3 m ago

Thank you, if I'm going to call them or go to store they sure have to …Thank you, if I'm going to call them or go to store they sure have to refund it to me. Just hoping there is a law that I can charge them interest per day or compensation 😄 thank you

no there isn't. Did you not read my response?
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

no there isn't. Did you not read my response?

Yes I understand you. They won't compensation or pay interest. Thank you.
Conmeo_Conxho3 m ago

Yes I understand you. They won't compensation or pay interest. Thank you.

Exactly. They have 28 days to refund legally but they are not required to compensate you or pay interest. After all, how much interest have you lost out on?
You tried and failed to take out an offer on a glitch.

If you owed argos money, would you pay them compensation for however many days you did not pay them back for?

No? Thought not. So why would there be any sort of law the other way round.
psychobitchfromhell9 m ago

Exactly. They have 28 days to refund legally but they are not required to …Exactly. They have 28 days to refund legally but they are not required to compensate you or pay interest. After all, how much interest have you lost out on?

None. But If I borrow money from the bank. Surely I have to pay interest. So I think Argos own me money for quite long , maybe I can charge interest like the bank charge me if I borrow from them
Caroline_19936 m ago

You tried and failed to take out an offer on a glitch. If you owed argos …You tried and failed to take out an offer on a glitch. If you owed argos money, would you pay them compensation for however many days you did not pay them back for? No? Thought not. So why would there be any sort of law the other way round.

If i own money from the bank. They surely charge interest on it. If I do own money from Argos and I fail to pay in time. I think they will charge me as well
It's important to quantify things.

OP, I had your exact same argument about interest positioned to me as a customer service representative a few years ago.

My response was this:

"I've calculated the interest based on standard industry accepted bank rates, and it comes out to 15p. We can now do one of two things. Option 1 is that if you believe 15p is unfair, then you can escalate your claim to a higher authority, and cause absolute havoc with our internal legal departments. That might sound like fun, but the most compensation you will get from this route is 15p, and you may have to end up speaking in court and there is also a real possibility that you personally would have to fund the costs from our legal department for an unfair claim. These costs would amount to at least £2,000 and we would look to you to pay them.

Option 2 is that you just accept that interest rates are low, accept my apology, and I can arrange for a £5 voucher to be sent to you, and even that's being generous. Your choice."
Edited by: "weekender" 19th Jul
Conmeo_Conxho21 m ago

If i own money from the bank. They surely charge interest on it. If I do …If i own money from the bank. They surely charge interest on it. If I do own money from Argos and I fail to pay in time. I think they will charge me as well

Do you charge interest for cash that's in your pocket? If so, who do you you charge?
What's your 'English grandma' got to do with it?
So how much interest do you get on your account? You were quite happy to benefit for a half price drone when you knew it was a glitch. You would've been quite happy for Argos to be hundreds of pounds out of pocket to your gain. Get real.
If the order was placed online and the OP has to go into store. There is a reasonable expectation that parking and travel could be requested.
It’s very rare anyone does go as far as asking for such recompense. This would be more a claim for actual expense than perceived ill feelings and ‘compo’.
psychobitchfromhell31 m ago

So how much interest do you get on your account? You were quite happy to …So how much interest do you get on your account? You were quite happy to benefit for a half price drone when you knew it was a glitch. You would've been quite happy for Argos to be hundreds of pounds out of pocket to your gain. Get real.

That's why I ask advise from people who know stuff. Big company are shark. So I try my luck to take revenge wherever I can. Which in this case, not. I have more money than I care about few £ of interest or compensation. They even give me 10% of code. Which I careless about it. It's a principal. Big company are shark, I wait for my luck to charge them back, if possible. In this case. I can call them a fraud or a scam company. They took my money, promise refund in the next 5 days. Which over 11 days I haven't received it. Surely 1 phone call from me. They will be in my account in the next few days. I just try to take advantage whereever I can like big company take advantage from normal people
weekender1 h, 3 m ago

It's important to quantify things.OP, I had your exact same argument about …It's important to quantify things.OP, I had your exact same argument about interest positioned to me as a customer service representative a few years ago.My response was this:"I've calculated the interest based on standard industry accepted bank rates, and it comes out to 15p. We can now do one of two things. Option 1 is that if you believe 15p is unfair, then you can escalate your claim to a higher authority, and cause absolute havoc with our internal legal departments. That might sound like fun, but the most compensation you will get from this route is 15p, and you may have to end up speaking in court and there is also a real possibility that you personally would have to fund the costs from our legal department for an unfair claim. These costs would amount to at least £2,000 and we would look to you to pay them.Option 2 is that you just accept that interest rates are low, accept my apology, and I can arrange for a £5 voucher to be sent to you, and even that's being generous. Your choice."

So true. But If I take small court. Surely cost me about £65?. But I dont go for that trouble . Since there is no law to back up compensation or interest. I just phone them tomorrow to make them aware that they haven't refund me yet from that point I'm really sure they will refund me. Bad experience with Argos this time
Not because of the glitch. Because they haven't refund me in time. I can call it's a fraud or scam.
Conmeo_Conxho8 m ago

That's why I ask advise from people who know stuff. Big company are shark. …That's why I ask advise from people who know stuff. Big company are shark. So I try my luck to take revenge wherever I can. Which in this case, not. I have more money than I care about few £ of interest or compensation. They even give me 10% of code. Which I careless about it. It's a principal. Big company are shark, I wait for my luck to charge them back, if possible. In this case. I can call them a fraud or a scam company. They took my money, promise refund in the next 5 days. Which over 11 days I haven't received it. Surely 1 phone call from me. They will be in my account in the next few days. I just try to take advantage whereever I can like big company take advantage from normal people

Argos is a fraud or scam company??!! Mind blown.
fern376 m ago

Argos is a fraud or scam company??!! Mind blown.

Took money from customers. They Cancel it. Promise that I received the refund in 5 days. It's 11 days that I haven't received it. What's do you call it than? Not a fraud?
Conmeo_Conxho5 m ago

Took money from customers. They Cancel it. Promise that I received the …Took money from customers. They Cancel it. Promise that I received the refund in 5 days. It's 11 days that I haven't received it. What's do you call it than? Not a fraud?

Poor customer service at most!

A simple phone call again may help rather than baying for compensation when you yourself was trying to take advantage of a glitch that you knew may not be honoured. When you have been on here as long as I have, you see this happen with glitches but calling them can resolve it. You will your megabucks surely don't need compo unless you brag!
fern374 m ago

Poor customer service at most! A simple phone call again may help rather …Poor customer service at most! A simple phone call again may help rather than baying for compensation when you yourself was trying to take advantage of a glitch that you knew may not be honoured. When you have been on here as long as I have, you see this happen with glitches but calling them can resolve it. You will your megabucks surely don't need compo unless you brag!

Some people call it poor customer service or lesson have been learn. I call a bad fraud artist.
Conmeo_Conxho14 h, 49 m ago

Some people call it poor customer service or lesson have been learn. I …Some people call it poor customer service or lesson have been learn. I call a bad fraud artist.

Good luck and please do post back telling us how you got on so that we may learn from you.

We may take it with a pinch of salt though!
Edited by: "fern37" 20th Jul
fern379 m ago

Good luck and please do post back telling us how you got on so that we may …Good luck and please do post back telling us how you got on so that we may learn from you.We make take it with a pinch of salt though!

Hehe. Trust me. It's going nowhere. I expect tomorrow they said. We are sorry to hear about it. Please make sure we are aware of it and we make sure you receive a refund in the next 5 working days and have a nice day. That's how it works under current law. They can fine us if we are not up to date. But we can't fine them.
Same thing happened for someone I told about the glitch, no money refunded. Argos said it's too late to contact them as they needed to call the store, who were closed. Will have to get in touch with them again soon!

@Conmeo_Conxho if you know that Argos won't give you 'interest' on this, why are you asking for it in the first place?
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 43 m ago

Exactly. They have 28 days to refund legally but they are not required to …Exactly. They have 28 days to refund legally but they are not required to compensate you or pay interest. After all, how much interest have you lost out on?

We've been here before.

It's 14 days. 14 days from the OP or the seller cancelling the sale. Not 28, but 14.

Ordered on 2nd, cancelled on 3rd. By law it needs to be refunded (at latest) 14 days later.
Edited by: "windym" 19th Jul
psychobitchfromhell22 m ago

The principal? You are not out of pocket, you wanted something half price? …The principal? You are not out of pocket, you wanted something half price? How have you been inconvenienced? The law gives them 28 days to refund. If they haven't by that point, you have chargeback rights. What do you want to be compensated for? What is the principal you talk about? If a company inadvertently charged you too little you expect them to honour that, if they charge you too much, you would expect them to refund. That's called having your cake and eating it.

Principal is. Big company can fine you for little mistake and pleb like us can't charge them if anything they have done wrong. Last time I go to car park and paid. And the machine ask if I want receipt. I click yes and walk away. My wife ask me. Why you ask for receipt and not take it. I said. The receipt paper will cost them 0,000000001 pence right. I want my money worth. Everytime Amazon give me late delivery. 5 minute chat I get 1 more free month of prime or few £. That's why I pay for service. That's why Amazon eating all the cake of UK company. When Amazon doing something wrong. You always get reward or compensation for it. Same as anyone come to my business. They come and want to buy certain product that I have ran out. They get 2 to 5% off their order. Customer services.
jamie0159 m ago

Same thing happened for someone I told about the glitch, no money …Same thing happened for someone I told about the glitch, no money refunded. Argos said it's too late to contact them as they needed to call the store, who were closed. Will have to get in touch with them again soon!@Conmeo_Conxho if you know that Argos won't give you 'interest' on this, why are you asking for it in the first place?

Thanks to psycho... user make me aware of it. I don't know prior to it.
ceres8 m ago

So it's OK to waste the resources that were used to produce the ticket and …So it's OK to waste the resources that were used to produce the ticket and I'm not talking about the cost to the company of a roll of paper. And it's OK to litter with your unwanted receipts, someone else will pick it up for you. God help the planet with people like you around.

Unfortunately I careless about it. I still buy bags and throwaway. It's all bout convenience and my own pleasure like Argos about profit. Don't you see the pattern?. Big company careless about moral. They do whatever they can to milk the customer money. People like me careless about carry bags with me. For my convenience I just pay few penny. Please save me with all comment about I'm innocent and so. Everyone have a dirty side. I see preacher about global warming and so on and they are even worst offender. This comment is out of track. So I will not reply any comment like that 😄. Moral: everyone is dirty somehow . Please don't try to preach better than you my bigger than you or Argos is a billion company why should they scam you for a penny. Everyone and big company have a dirty side.
Conmeo_Conxho4 m ago

Unfortunately I careless about it. I still buy bags and throwaway. It's …Unfortunately I careless about it. I still buy bags and throwaway. It's all bout convenience and my own pleasure like Argos about profit. Don't you see the pattern?. Big company careless about moral. They do whatever they can to milk the customer money. People like me careless about carry bags with me. For my convenience I just pay few penny. Please save me with all comment about I'm innocent and so. Everyone have a dirty side. I see preacher about global warming and so on and they are even worst offender. This comment is out of track. So I will not reply any comment like that 😄. Moral: everyone is dirty somehow . Please don't try to preach better than you my bigger than you or Argos is a billion company why should they scam you for a penny. Everyone and big company have a dirty side.

True, big companies may not always be 100% innocent.

However, that doesn't give you the excuse to harm the planet which you live in just so they have more expenses. Harming the environment for no reason except a grudge that is unfairly had on a company, just because of their size, is totally unnecessary from my point of view.

I respect your opinion and your choices though.
Edited by: "jamie015" 19th Jul
I'm done with this. You go try claim compensation for something that did not inconvenience you at all. When you complain about how much insurance has gone up or how prices have increased or how there are no more good deals, maybe you should look at your behaviour and maybe see that you are the cause.
Conmeo_Conxho52 m ago

Principal is. Big company can fine you for little mistake and pleb like us …Principal is. Big company can fine you for little mistake and pleb like us can't charge them if anything they have done wrong. Last time I go to car park and paid. And the machine ask if I want receipt. I click yes and walk away. My wife ask me. Why you ask for receipt and not take it. I said. The receipt paper will cost them 0,000000001 pence right. I want my money worth. Everytime Amazon give me late delivery. 5 minute chat I get 1 more free month of prime or few £. That's why I pay for service. That's why Amazon eating all the cake of UK company. When Amazon doing something wrong. You always get reward or compensation for it. Same as anyone come to my business. They come and want to buy certain product that I have ran out. They get 2 to 5% off their order. Customer services.

Wow, there are some strongly worded responses to this!
I have some sympathy here, I've had an insurance company try and 'fine' me £25 for a payment coming out two days late.

Why is it only companies that can threaten punitive damages at a whim, and if a consumer is left without payment in a reasonable time (5 days max. would be reasonable in the modern age of instant payments imo), then why can't you 'fine' them for a small amount of compensation, is your time worthless?

I also fail to see why the OP trying to use a glitch (that I'd imagine half this site tried to use) makes it acceptable for the repayment to take longer?
I've finished work late so I can have tomorrow off, therefore I'm having a few beers and no body is awake to talk to, so I'll throw my thoughts in.....
Well done for trying even if you new it was a glitch, if there is a chance there take it (I mean this purely from large companies with plenty of dosh and not from smaller independent firms who just make a living). If i lose a tenner and you give it back to me great. If you don't it's my own fault.

I thinks it's hugely wrong that a company that has taken your money can have that long to reimburse you. 28 days? I didnt know that. Blimey. It's understandable if you have received what you paid for and don't repay until it's returned, but if they havnt even released the item they should have a very small time scale to reimburse, maybe a week at the most.

It's disgusting that a big firm hand hold on to a single persons money like they do. It's not even dinner money to them, it is lot to an average person. Just give it back asap.

Hope you have a paper trail if you need to chase further. Good luck
moneybag6 h, 54 m ago

Wow, there are some strongly worded responses to this!I have some sympathy …Wow, there are some strongly worded responses to this!I have some sympathy here, I've had an insurance company try and 'fine' me £25 for a payment coming out two days late.Why is it only companies that can threaten punitive damages at a whim, and if a consumer is left without payment in a reasonable time (5 days max. would be reasonable in the modern age of instant payments imo), then why can't you 'fine' them for a small amount of compensation, is your time worthless?I also fail to see why the OP trying to use a glitch (that I'd imagine half this site tried to use) makes it acceptable for the repayment to take longer?

There is 50 to 50 % that I can buy cheap item from glitch. DJI drone never have so far 50% off. £1000 for a drone I don't think it's worth. But £500 I can waste and have some fun. I never complain that Argos cancel my order. I expexted it. Argos could email me. By law we can return your money in the next 28 days. I'm happy with it. But when they state ---- Your FastTrack order has been cancelled. We have arranged a refund into the account that you made the purchase from. You will receive your refund within 5 working days. If your collection window has not expired, there has been a problem with your order. If you still wish to make this purchase, please order again.------ and I haven't received it after 10 days and no words from them. I call a bad fraud artist.
Why have you waited so long, after 5 days you should of contacted them.
Mistakes happen in any business.
You have the right for a refund obviously but you're not entitled to "interest" or "compensation"

It's your fault you knew it was a glitch, the biggest risk with price glitches is your order will probably be cancelled and you'll have to wait for a refund (not on every website)

You sound like a entitled c*nt
Edited by: "Norseg" 20th Jul
fearona1 h, 58 m ago

Why have you waited so long, after 5 days you should of contacted …Why have you waited so long, after 5 days you should of contacted them.Mistakes happen in any business.

I don't check my bank statement every week or days. I check once or 2 times a month. I don't expect thing happen like that. It should be all automat these days.
So if I've read this right, you were trying to take advantage of Argos to the tune of around £325 (which you were happy to do) it didn't work out now you want some compo as you've not yet received your refund? Lol
If I was waiting on a refund I wouldn't be waiting two weeks for it I would of contacted them after a week to chase my money. Ring them
Conmeo_Conxho1 h, 36 m ago

I don't check my bank statement every week or days. I check once or 2 …I don't check my bank statement every week or days. I check once or 2 times a month. I don't expect thing happen like that. It should be all automat these days.

Good to know crooks have 2 weeks before you find out they've cleared your accounts out lol
fearona15 m ago

Good to know crooks have 2 weeks before you find out they've cleared your …Good to know crooks have 2 weeks before you find out they've cleared your accounts out lol

😄 So true. I have extra setup an online banking account only. Always have at least 1k to 2k. No overdraft. Can't do much damage 😄
Op sounds like a right plank
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants