Argos (not informing then) delivering substitutes and reselling used items as new?

Found 30th Oct 2015
Recently bought a TV from Argos via eBay. I received the wrong item, it was a newer model which I guess they had to give as a substitute, and didn't bother to inform my in advance that they're going to ship a different product. Asked for an exchange because the model they were listing (I purchased) was still available, so that means they either have stock or they're intentionally mis-selling to their buyers. Anyways, I think I might keep it because I'd used the special eBay discount of £50, and that drops the price of the item quite a bit and I were to buy it again, I'd be losing out.

Almost about to open the box, I realised that there were two layers of sticky tape sealing the box, and I could see that the one beneath was cut, meaning the TV may have been used/opened before. Looking at the packaging it's not that scruffy, but it's definitely dirty, and I also noticed there's a yellow dot stick on the box.
I've read around that Argos are frequently re-selling returned/reconditioned items. I'm very angry at Argos for doing this if this is true, because I've now wasted the eBay discount for something they've done wrong on not one but two levels.
So is my purchase a used/returned item?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Could be a returned item, should still be covered by there warranty. If you look at argos ebay feedback, most negative feedback is because they are selling items as refurb that are not working etc.
This has always been a sticking point with Argos. This is the trouble with their keep for 4 weeks and if you do not like bring it back for a refund. As far as I can work out is if they can reseal it so its like new and not easily detected they resell in the shop, if they cannot manage that (like yours) they sell on the EBay outlet. I refuse to buy from their Ebay Shop unless its something that I do not mind being already opened and used,

As to them selling things as refurbed, thats just a bad joke.
After further investigation, they've now corrected their listing for my purchase to the actual product they're selling and it's now marked as brand new but the item is a "new clearance item", meaning it may have been recirculated into a warehouse and may have been opened but is still "brand new".
Huh, looks like they've responded to my request. Plus they said they cannot make exchanges or replacements, only refunds.
I went on their Argos eBay store and found out that my exact model they're selling is only listed but available under refurbished items and a new option is nowhere to be found.
This more or less confirms that they've indeed flogged a listing as new but really it is refurbished.
I called them up and they apologised for the discrepancy and will arrange a free collection for me.
This is really dumb, because I really wanted the model they advertised and I wasted a whole day waiting for a product I didn't want plus Parcel Force failed to meet make their Express 48 courier service too. The biggest loss is that I'm now wasted that 20% eBay discount which I could've spent on something else.
I think you may find that even some tv's collected at store have been opened. It would be difficult to see if an item I purchased had been used as I always reseal the box and make it look like new (flat pack furniture exempt). I have even glued the boxes back together on some items. Some retailers use their own warranty seals. I read recently that one company puts tv's on demo for 2 to 3 months and then re-boxes them and sells them as new. I think you have to be very careful where you buy from as anything can be re-packaged to make it 'new' again.

There was an issue some years in one of my local stores where a customer had purchased an item from Argos and upon getting them home the box was full of books or a broken piece of equipment. I can't quite remember the facts. This was years ago when video recorders were still available so it is very likely that Argos check any expensive item as it would be difficult to prove who had substituted an item. Pay cash, give false address. No trace etc etc. It's theft at end of the day but it will have been done. Also when Macro used to sell tv's every single box in there had been opened. I asked one of the staff once when purchasing a tv and he said that they checked every one to see the tv was ok and remote, instructions etc where present. This may have been store specific.

I am not sure if televisions are excluded from Argos standard 30 day money back guarantee. It maybe item specific but had a look at a couple of tv's online and couldn't see them as excluded. At least if you buy online you are protected by the distance selling regulations if you change your mind.

In your particular case you cold give the manufacturer a call and ask if the product has already been registered for warranty. I know a lot of people don't bother but if it's a smart tv and you have been online with it who knows what information has been recorded. If it's an LG they probably know the instant you go online.

Edited by: "Smartguy1" 30th Oct 2015
Surely you won't lose your 20% discount though, as Argos will have to refund you the full cost price regardless, it was eBay that funded the 20% discount.
Dyslexic_Dog

Surely you won't lose your 20% discount though, as Argos will have to … Surely you won't lose your 20% discount though, as Argos will have to refund you the full cost price regardless, it was eBay that funded the 20% discount.

​Think he means with that big ebay 20% discount deal around the 22nd. He could've used it on another item instead of the hassle he got with argos.
Dyslexic_Dog

Surely you won't lose your 20% discount though, as Argos will have to … Surely you won't lose your 20% discount though, as Argos will have to refund you the full cost price regardless, it was eBay that funded the 20% discount.

I hope you're right. The cost of the item as far as I believe Argos sees it, is the full price, I don't know whether they know that 20% was funded by eBay, maybe they'll simply put back only what I actually paid into my PayPal account. I'm hoping they'll refund the full price of the item though obviously. If not, then like how kos1c read my comments, yes I think I've wasted that 20%.
I received my refund but eBay charged my PayPal balance and took back the discount... so yeah I've simply wasted that discount.
Kei1

I hope you're right. The cost of the item as far as I believe Argos sees … I hope you're right. The cost of the item as far as I believe Argos sees it, is the full price, I don't know whether they know that 20% was funded by eBay, maybe they'll simply put back only what I actually paid inmy PayPal account. I'm hoping they'll refund the full price of the item though obviously. If not, then like how kos1c read my comments, yes I think I've wasted that 20%.

yep you lose the discount, I bought the iPhone from what looked like a reliable seller only to find it had an ipad mini serial number and was a refurbed phone. the muppet said it was sold as described, new!! just got the refund through ebay today and ebay said we are refunding paypal for the full amount but thought they would take the discount. When I logged in they had then taken back the 20% as a separate transaction.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants