Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Argos One For All SV9386 Amplified Indoor TV Aerial - Has Anyone Got One?

Expert (Beta)12
Posted 4th Aug 2019
Thinking of getting one of these to watch Freeview etc in the house, we are currently an all digital family, now tv, Netflix, amazon prime video, but are now wanting to start watching the "proper" TV.

Has anyone got one of these, are they recommended?
argos.co.uk/pro…569
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
deleted1471098
I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a transmitter, it won’t pick up most of the channels. Your best bet would be to fit up a proper aerial either outside or in the loft and run sockets to the rooms requiring them. Alternatively you could get a sky dish fitted and use freesat instead, most modern TVs have it built in so no need for a box.

We are also a completely digital family and would never consider going back to watching live tv, it’s mostly junk reality shows and repeats which are all available on the platforms you have mentioned.

Tv aerial: argos.co.uk/pro…485
Cable: amazon.co.uk/dp/…PXY
Socket: amazon.co.uk/dp/…VEI
Cable ends: amazon.co.uk/dp/…D96
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 4th Aug 2019
deleted147109804/08/2019 07:20

I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a …I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a transmitter, it won’t pick up most of the channels. Your best bet would be to fit up a proper aerial either outside or in the loft and run sockets to the rooms requiring them. Alternatively you could get a sky dish fitted and use freesat instead, most modern TVs have it built in so no need for a box.We are also a completely digital family and would never consider going back to watching live tv, it’s mostly junk reality shows and repeats which are all available on the platforms you have mentioned.

Its 147° away apparently

I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a …I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a transmitter, it won’t pick up most of the channels. Your best bet would be to fit up a proper aerial either outside or in the loft and run sockets to the rooms requiring them. Alternatively you could get a sky dish fitted and use freesat instead, most modern TVs have it built in so no need for a box.We are also a completely digital family and would never consider going back to watching live tv, it’s mostly junk reality shows and repeats which are all available on the platforms you have mentioned.

Totally agree. I don't this this junk from argos will be any use. Most houses recieved good reception for live tv anyway. And I personally now moving towards all digital as anything good can be seen on the catch up apps. The rest 99.99% are junk. I'm cancelling my tv license this month as it costs more than Netflix!, and I'm stupid enough to just pay it all these years when I almost never watch any
You could install a sky dish for less and have freesat on your tvs.

I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a …I wouldn’t bother buying one of these unless your house is very close to a transmitter, it won’t pick up most of the channels. Your best bet would be to fit up a proper aerial either outside or in the loft and run sockets to the rooms requiring them. Alternatively you could get a sky dish fitted and use freesat instead, most modern TVs have it built in so no need for a box.We are also a completely digital family and would never consider going back to watching live tv, it’s mostly junk reality shows and repeats which are all available on the platforms you have mentioned.Tv aerial: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9396485Cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00556HPXYSocket: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TRRVEICable ends: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H550D96

What he said......

Should have read the responses first before replying
deleted1471098
MrSwitch04/08/2019 07:26

Its 147° away apparently

That’s an angle. You can check distance on here ukfree.tv/prediction (ignore the adverts). It’ll tell you how far away you are. Then you can use google maps to point the aerial in the right direction based on the orientation of your house relative to the transmitter position.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 4th Aug 2019
OK, cheers, shall now expire
deleted147109804/08/2019 07:35

That’s an angle. You can check distance on here ukfree.tv/prediction ( …That’s an angle. You can check distance on here ukfree.tv/prediction (ignore the adverts). It’ll tell you how far away you are. Then you can use google maps to point the aerial in the right direction based on the orientation of your house relative to the transmitter position.

That's a nice little website, didn't realise how close we are to certain masts.

Find it odd how we're close to an O2 mast though the reception in our house is rubbish for mobiles which are on Giffgaff.

I'm with EE which is probably a tad further and my signal is much better.
I have one of these. Small, easy to set up and fantastic piece of kit. Screwfix do the same one for a lot more money. We are not permitted to put aerials outside our house (I have anyway) but landlord has seen it and all is OK. It's only fitted 7' off the ground. It's very neat and tidy. Signal strength is great (nothing less than 90%, most channels 100%).
Wholeheartedly recommend it if you need an aerial.
MIDURIX04/08/2019 10:27

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27769RG-Performance-Freeview-Wideband-Multi/dp/B001ACV7E0?tag=experevi-21&ascsubtag=1407324&th=1&psc=1Beast of an aerial

Log periodic - proper directional, always been a bit suspicious of "flat plate" designs, though paradoxically, I got one for 50p in a charity shop, and it performed adequately, much to my surprise, and by no means close to the transmitter, though fortunate to have a window (low loss) in the line of fire. This is upstairs, indoor antennas are at a huge disadvantage if downstairs, you really would have to be at point blank range
matth999905/08/2019 01:36

Log periodic - proper directional, always been a bit suspicious of "flat …Log periodic - proper directional, always been a bit suspicious of "flat plate" designs, though paradoxically, I got one for 50p in a charity shop, and it performed adequately, much to my surprise, and by no means close to the transmitter, though fortunate to have a window (low loss) in the line of fire. This is upstairs, indoor antennas are at a huge disadvantage if downstairs, you really would have to be at point blank range

I remember that one specifically being number one as part of a big review roundup, bought it myself and it really was very very good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants