Expired

Argos Outlet Poor Customer Service Practice - Block you if you complain!

Found 26th Sep 2013
Shocking! I cant believe how unprofessional this company can be. Seems the customer service is very heavy handed, rude and far from being professional.

Instead of blocking the customer, why are they not listening to their customers and improving their service. They need to make changes so the quality of their products and the service they offer improves.

I had a bad experience with the Argos Outlet store, I purchased a netbook each for my family. The netbooks were classed as refurbished and 100% ok as stated on their website (i.e as little as a broken seal, Minor amount of cosmetic packaging damage, signs of minimal use, which may include minor cosmetic marks).

What arrived was simply shocking, damaged/faulty heavy signs of usage and broken damaged accessories. We returned the items and had to place another order, we wanted to take advantage of the great low price but at the same time we wanted the products to be fit for purpose and free from heavy defects that would be classed as unacceptable.

The Argos customer service was ok at first, a bit slow but the wheels were turning. I also reported the matter with Trading Standards as I could not believe how such a large well known retail/company could send out products in such poor condition, I made my report including photo evidence etc.

I also highlighted the fact of all the 100's of negative feedback from other unhappy customers regarding their electrical Refurbished products, seems it is a widespread problem. The Trading Standards officer I dealt with said we receive many complaints regarding the Argos Outlet store, something we are use too.

Anyway! The Argos Outlet apologized for all the upset and inconvenienced caused and sent me a £20 gift card.

However! Yesterday I went to buy an item from the Argos Outlet store and found I was blocked from doing so, seems Argos have blocked me, How unprofessional and spiteful can this company be, all because I made a formal complaint and reported them to Trading Standards.

You would think Argos would make improvements so less errors are made, you would think they would learn and improve their customer service practice so the customers next shopping experience would be a more happy and joyful one.

Surely its discrimination by blocking customers who have made a complaint or who have left negative feedback. They appear to be not grown-ups, seems the Argos Outlet can throw a strop and go into a sulk.

Such an inconvenience as I know at some point I will want to take advantage of a deal from the Argos Outlet store, as a father I shop online alot and its a must to be able to take advantage of sales and promotions with online retailers.

I just cannot believe how a company can take this attitude instead of improving their service.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
44 Comments

Put this on their Facebook or Twitter page. You're almost certain to get a response then.

Original Poster

momartin

Put this on their Facebook or Twitter page. You're almost certain to get … Put this on their Facebook or Twitter page. You're almost certain to get a response then.

Thanks for that.
I'm not a member of Facebook or Twitter, but I could get my daughter to post it up. I may just join though just so I can highlight the fact that us customers are being discriminated against for speaking out and protecting our consumer rights.

Surely they will only just delete it though.
Edited by: "Da11as" 26th Sep 2013

Parcel monkey is same, they charged me extra after delivering parcel and when I complained and told them about taking reporting them to watch dogs, they blocked me. The thing is that the customer service even said to me that because I was going to report them, they are not going to unblock me.

I got a laptop from them that was in a poor condition too and there customer service was shocking. I never got any such voucher though. I did enjoy venting my frustration giving them negative feedback.
I wonder if I'm also blocked from purchasing from them? Not that I'm bothered after that experience I wouldn't want to buy anything from them ever again.

Hang on, so Argos were sorting out the problem and had given you a £20 giftcard for the inconvenience but you still reported them to trading standards? I'm not suprised they blocked you.

cdm22

Hang on, so Argos were sorting out the problem and had given you a £20 … Hang on, so Argos were sorting out the problem and had given you a £20 giftcard for the inconvenience but you still reported them to trading standards? I'm not suprised they blocked you.

lol

way to go on the reading, check your timeline

lol

If someone reported me to trading standards, i'd not only block them from buying...! Jeez!

Alfonse

lolway to go on the reading, check your timelinelol

Alright, Argos were sorting out the problem but then he reported them to trading standards and then got a £20 gift card, Either way, Argos were dealing with it so i don't see the need to get trading standards involved personally.

One of our hoovers is from argos outlet. It was sold saying it was a customer return. It was in pristine condition and appeared to have been unused. Only the box was a bit tatty where someone had opened it. It was a third or less off of the price and we were very happy.

Just balancing out the negatives!

cdm22

Alright, Argos were sorting out the problem but then he reported them to … Alright, Argos were sorting out the problem but then he reported them to trading standards and then got a £20 gift card, Either way, Argos were dealing with it so i don't see the need to get trading standards involved personally.

Because they have a high number of complaints already to Trading Standards, if Argos tried to sweeten things with a gift card after the event then that's on Argos no-one else. Also I doubt that Argos would know anything about the complaint has it would be illegal to divulge complainant details to the Retailer.

Alfonse

Because they have a high number of complaints already to Trading … Because they have a high number of complaints already to Trading Standards,.

Then why use them in the first place? (unless they only found this out after going to trading standards in which case the original question remains valid)
Edited by: "cdm22" 26th Sep 2013

Banned

Just put OP on ignore, too moany for me.

Original Poster

cdm22

Hang on, so Argos were sorting out the problem and had given you a £20 … Hang on, so Argos were sorting out the problem and had given you a £20 giftcard for the inconvenience but you still reported them to trading standards? I'm not suprised they blocked you.

No! The service was slow at first, could not make contact with them (no correspondence). This is why I made my complaint to the Argos Outlet store and made a report to Trading Standards which was in the second week.

The £20 gift card was not offered until at least 4/5 weeks into my complaint with Argos, I had already contacted trading standards by this time.

cdm22

Then why use them in the first place? (unless they only found this out … Then why use them in the first place? (unless they only found this out after going to trading standards in which case the original question remains valid)

lol

ceres

Unless of course the OP chose to make that fact known to Argos.OP, bottom … Unless of course the OP chose to make that fact known to Argos.OP, bottom line is they're not obliged to sell to you and it's not surprising that they've chosen not to based on your description.

yep, they reserve the right unless it breaches discrimination and/or inequality

out·let
/ˈoutlet
Noun

1. A means by which something escapes, passes, or is released, in particular.
2. A pipe or hole through which water or gas may escape.

Banned

effingandjeffing

out·let /ˈoutletNoun 1. A means by which something escapes, passes, or … out·let /ˈoutletNoun 1. A means by which something escapes, passes, or is released, in particular. 2. A pipe or hole through which water or gas may escape.

You missed 3) off.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outlet

3)
a. A commercial market for goods or services.
b. A store that sells the goods of a particular manufacturer or wholesaler.

Da11as

No! The service was slow at first, could not make contact with them (no … No! The service was slow at first, could not make contact with them (no correspondence). This is why I made my complaint to the Argos Outlet store and made a report to Trading Standards which was in the second week.The £20 gift card was not offered until at least 4/5 weeks into my complaint with Argos, I had already contacted trading standards by this time.

Well you didn't say that did you? You just said

"The Argos customer service was ok at first, a bit slow but the wheels were turning."

Original Poster

ceres

[quote=Alfonse] OP, bottom line is they're not obliged to sell to you and … [quote=Alfonse] OP, bottom line is they're not obliged to sell to you and it's not surprising that they've chosen not to based on your description.

So you would be happy to accept Netbooks for your children at £150 each in a poor and unacceptable condition, especially a damaged charger which could be potentially dangerous.

Read the Argos Outlet Refurbished Products Statement This is what customers should expect when buying their refurbished products.

If people cannot see the importance of this matter and how unprofessional the Argos Outlet team can be, please dont make silly remarks. As I have said 'You would think Argos would make improvements so less errors are made, you would think they would learn and improve their customer service practice so the customers next shopping experience would be a more happy and joyful one'

You have only got to take a look at their most recent negative feedback from other unhappy customers, you will see most relate to refurbished electrical items.

D&J Henry who they use to refurbish these electrical products cant be following the correct refurbishment procedures.

The moral is, never buy "refurbished" unless you can see what condition it is in.

Banned

You bought some items, they were not satisfactory.
You then purchased more of the same items from the same seller whilst reporting them to trading standards and they BLOCKED YOU, shock horror. How dare they, I mean how very dare they

buys item from argos

complains about item

recieves gift voucher

reports argos to trading standards

goes to buy another item

Banned

Boogie83e

The moral is, never buy "refurbished" unless you can see what condition … The moral is, never buy "refurbished" unless you can see what condition it is in.

Moral of the story is a seller should accurately describe the items sold. This is not the buyers fault at all.

ceres

I'm struggling to understand exactly what it is that you wanted Argos to … I'm struggling to understand exactly what it is that you wanted Argos to do. You returned the items. Presumably they gave you a refund or replacements, then they gave you a gift card for your inconvenience. What more did you want/expect?

the issue not to have been dragged out for 2 months, quite simple to me.

ceres

With respect, we don't know the timeline. The OP has chosen not to … With respect, we don't know the timeline. The OP has chosen not to disclose at what point he received a refund or replacements. That is all that Argos were obliged to do.

let's see what happens next

OP, just open a new account if you see a deal you want to take advantage of.

Argos delivery man coming between 9am and 6pm!

Nasa give a smaller window than that for an out of control satellite hurtling from space ...

Original Poster

Havince

buys item from argoscomplains about itemrecieves gift voucherreports … buys item from argoscomplains about itemrecieves gift voucherreports argos to trading standardsgoes to buy another item

WHAT?

Please read my original post as I certainly do not want to come across ungrateful, far from being ignorant but the service I received was not upto standard as to what a customer should expect regarding consumer rights and satisfactory goods etc.

The time frame went on for around 5 weeks, this was back in April this year. Its was only yesterday I found out I had been blocked from buying on the Argos Outlet store, as I went to buy a dolls house for my daughter and could not make the purchase due to the block.

The Netbooks were returned and refund given, as the wife and I wanted to take advantage of the low price Asus Netbooks we were told we would need to place another order as the Argos system would not allow for sending out replacements.

So we had to place another order of £600 which was another card transaction on my PayPal account, even though the original £600 refund had not even been processed yet. So thats £1,200 via two transactions on my debit card, this also put me over my spending limit on my PayPal account.

By the second week of waiting and receiving the second order with two of the Netbooks in poor condition and the danger of the damaged charger, this is when I made the complaint to Argos and Trading Standards.

Obviously the complaint process is very time consuming and not a pleasant ordeal to go through, but in the end after weeks of upset and 4 orders later we received our children's Netbooks that were all in a satisfactory and acceptable condition.

The problem is! at the end of my complaint after speaking with the Argos customer support manager, being told that Argos Outlet are ever so sorry regarding all the inconvenience caused to my family and I, that they wanted to offer a £20 gift voucher and hope it would not put us off from shopping with them again.

5 months later when I come to place an order with the Argos Outlet store, I am now blocked.

I have contacted them via email and phone to ask why, they told me because I had a bad shopping experience with them, they no longer wanted to make matters worst by repeating the same experience. oO

You would think Argos would make improvements so less errors are made, you would think they would learn and improve their customer service so the customer can have a happy experience next time, not take a negative attitude.

By issuing me a £20 gift card as a goodwill gesture shows acceptance of their failings regarding their customer service, so why then block me.

Its a matter of principle, I feel discriminated against due to acting responsible. I have today sent a letter asking for an explanation.

Original Poster

ceres

So you got an immediate refund. What is your problem?

No it was not immediate, it took 2 weeks with £1200 debited from my card.

We did not want a refund, we wanted the items to be fit for purpose and a happy shopping experience.

The Argos Outlet were selling the refurbished Asus Netbooks from £135 to £150, the Argos Store were selling them New for £199.99, so we were making a saving of £200 by buying from the Argos Outlet store

Even though the goods were being sold as Refurbished, they still have to be of satisfactory quality. Just go and take a read of the Argos Outlet feedback, look at all the other unhappy customers who seem to be having same poor experience regarding the refurbished electrical products i.e Laptops, Tablets, TV's, phones etc.

Da11as

WHAT?Please read my original post as I certainly do not want to come … WHAT?Please read my original post as I certainly do not want to come across ungrateful, far from being ignorant but the service I received was not upto standard as to what a customer should expect regarding consumer rights and satisfactory goods etc.The time frame went on for around 5 weeks, this was back in April this year. Its was only yesterday I found out I had been blocked from buying on the Argos Outlet store, as I went to buy a dolls house for my daughter and could not make the purchase due to the block.The Netbooks were returned and refund given, as the wife and I wanted to take advantage of the low price Asus Netbooks we were told we would need to place another order as the Argos system would not allow for sending out replacements. So we had to place another order of £600 which was another card transaction on my PayPal account, even though the original £600 refund had not even been processed yet. So thats £1,200 via two transactions on my debit card, this also put me over my spending limit on my PayPal account.By the second week of waiting and receiving the second order with two of the Netbooks in poor condition and the danger of the damaged charger, this is when I made the complaint to Argos and Trading Standards.Obviously the complaint process is very time consuming and not a pleasant ordeal to go through, but in the end after weeks of upset and 4 orders later we received our children's Netbooks that were all in a satisfactory and acceptable condition.The problem is! at the end of my complaint after speaking with the Argos customer support manager, being told that Argos Outlet are ever so sorry regarding all the inconvenience caused to my family and I, that they wanted to offer a £20 gift voucher and hope it would not put us off from shopping with them again.5 months later when I come to place an order with the Argos Outlet store, I am now blocked.I have contacted them via email and phone to ask why, they told me because I had a bad shopping experience with them, they no longer wanted to make matters worst by repeating the same experience. oOYou would think Argos would make improvements so less errors are made, you would think they would learn and improve their customer service so the customer can have a happy experience next time, not take a negative attitude.By issuing me a £20 gift card as a goodwill gesture shows acceptance of their failings regarding their customer service, so why then block me.Its a matter of principle, I feel discriminated against due to acting responsible. I have today sent a letter asking for an explanation.

basically they thinking your a thieving scammer who will keep complaining and getting laodsa gift cards

Original Poster

Havince

basically they thinking your a thieving scammer who will keep complaining … basically they thinking your a thieving scammer who will keep complaining and getting laodsa gift cards

I reckon you maybe correct, they look at customers who complain as a nuisance which takes up too much time and resources.

Hence my post today, their customer service attitude is all wrong and they should not be aloud to discriminate against customers who complain.

Argos should take responsibility and make changes where needed to improve customer satisfaction and the customers shopping experience, not tar-everyone-with-the-same-brush and take the easy root out.

One word!............... Professionalism! .................... is whats important.

Original Poster

ceres

I tell you what, I wouldn't want you as a customer either!You took your … I tell you what, I wouldn't want you as a customer either!You took your first purchase back as you were unhappy with the quality. Argos processed a refund to your card.You were so outraged with the poor customer service you received that you purchased all over again with the same result and Argos processed another refund to your card.You made a big fuss and reported them to Trading Standards.Argos gave you 20 quid for your trouble.And your outrage is so immense that you want to go back and buy other stuff from them!There's a lesson or two here - cheap is cheap. If you pay bargain basement prices don't expect John Lewis service.And there are ways of complaining. In my experience, being rude, unreasonable and not allowing the company the opportunity to deal with the issue through their own processes will not give you the result you hope for (whatever that is).

You seem to be mislead.

The time frame and having to make further purchases to take advantage of the deal was terribly time consuming, never was I rude, quite the opposite. Phone calls recorded, letters sent recorded, I made the complaint because of how it was all handled.

The main concern was receiving an refurbished electrical product where the charger cable was damaged and could have been dangerous is used. Would you want to put your children's lives at risk, this is the reason why I involved trading standards.

Ceres! I suggest you keep your comments to yourself as you clearly do not understand the situation.

Original Poster

ceres

I understand the situation, except what it is that you actually wanted … I understand the situation, except what it is that you actually wanted Argos to do that they didn't.

Make changes to improve their customer service practice, so shoppers have a happy shopping experience.
1. Check their supplier regularly regarding their electrical refurbished products.
2. Make sure the correct procedures are followed with strict guidelines.
3. Improve the time frame on answering emails.
4. Actually answer emails.
6. Improve the time in answering phone calls.
7. Actually answer phone calls.
8. Improve the attitude of some staff members.
9. When a complaint is made, give the customer a time frame to how it will be handled. Argos Outlet have no Stage 1, 2 or 3 complaint system.
10. Improve the refund process.
11. Design their data software and improve stock control so customers can be sent replacement items instead of having to re-order and allowing countless transactions and refunds.
12 Except responsibility when things go wrong.
13. Give good customer satisfaction and improve the quality of service, not to be unprofessional by blocking customers who have made a complaint.
14. Look ahead towards the future and improve the customers experience for the next time they come to shop.

................ I could go on and on.

The bottom line is at end of day loads of companies are a dead loss to buy from... I'm waiting for yet another issue to be sorted out this week. Some sort out your queries quicker than others, and when I get a gift card or similar for the issue I'm usually happy.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that you appear to have only checked out their negative feedback after your initial problem and when you were complaining to Trading Standards. Did you not check it out before you placed the order? Or did you think despite the 100's of complaints every month I will take a chance and hope my order will be OK?
Edited by: "hard-man-stan" 26th Sep 2013

I've found argos in general to be inept.

Bottom line though they can choose to 'serve' whoever they want

I have had this when PC World Currys Outlet on Ebay failed to deliver an item that they put on sale, saying that they didn't have any left. I complained to them and complained to Ebay, and they blocked me from buying.
I even had to chase them for a refund through Paypal as they wouldn't refund me!

i bought a philips mp3 player from argos outlet and it broke down within a month. i contacted them via ebay and they said that i could return it via connect+ for free and they refunded me the money pretty pronto so received good customer service that way.

however, i lost £4 as original postage was not refunded and you can't bring the product back to store. i think you should be able to do this and i think that they really should also refund postage if the item is faulty and it is not your fault, why should you lose out?

People just seem to complain for any reason these days, just breath it will be ok.....

I stopped using Argos ages ago, after problems with poor furniture, and a disaster with a delivery on some garden stuff, nowadays I usually put the finger up when driving past one of the lorries in the opposite direction.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions