Argos staff to get £2.4m payout after being paid below the minimum wage

Editor 62
Found 21st Feb 2017
Current and ex Argos employees are to receive a collective £2.4 million payout after hundreds of "incorrect" staff payments were brought to light.

http://i.imgur.com/FkOPbZv.jpg?1

It is estimated that 37,000 employees are in line for £64 each.

Sainsbury's, which took over the high street chain six months ago, discovered workers had been paid below the national living wage. And the retail giant said the underpayments occurred because staff were not being paid to attend briefing meetings before shifts, as well as security searches once they’d finished work.

This has resulted in 12,000 current employees and 25,000 former employees not being paid the correct wage.

In total, they are owed £2.4 million, around £64 each. Staff will be paid this money at the end of the month.

In an internal note to employees, John Rogers, chief executive of Argos, said: "After we acquired the Argos business last year it was brought to my attention that, as part of a routine visit, HMRC had uncovered an issue with some of our Argos store systems and processes, which means that some colleagues have been paid below the national living wage.

“In particular, this related to the timings of colleague briefings, which could happen before colleagues had clocked into their shifts and security searches, which could happen after colleagues had clocked out of their shifts.

“Sainsbury’s prides itself on being a trusted brand where people love to work and I was, therefore, very disappointed to hear this and launched an immediate investigation."

News Source - Wales Online

Community Updates
Misc
62 Comments
sounds about right...
Good stuff, well done guys!
The Argos British management are best of the best, the types that drip fed the classical exploitative British culture. Execs are in collusion with their accountants, payroll and managers, it is as easy as pie for HMRC to find out -> so by implication they know how to audit internally, as easy as falling off a log.
A know a few places which have been investigated by HMRC and found guilty.
At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder if they've opened a tin of worms here?
Worked in Tk maxx for three months the manager insisted we have to log out n tidy the shop for an hour or so
That was in 2004
The quote refers to the "national living wage", not the minimum wage. There's a difference.

These large businesses are so corrupt. Glad another one has been spotlighted though.
Excellent
65 quid back each... lol
BagABargain78

The quote refers to the "national living wage", not the minimum wage. … The quote refers to the "national living wage", not the minimum wage. There's a difference. These large businesses are so corrupt. Glad another one has been spotlighted though.

There isn't, you can't live on the "national living wage". It's simply the minimum wage with a new name to sound a bit cooler. Go read 1984 to learn more.

jamaza

65 quid back each... lol

And I'll bet that doesn't fully cover the amount people have really lost, and they think a couple of quid will shut everyone up.

Toon_army

At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder … At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder if they've opened a tin of worms here?

When employers have to security check their employees, you know they're not being paid enough. Even Henry Ford realised he had to pay his workers a wage that would be sufficient to enable his workers to be able to buy the cars they were employed to make. These days it's a race to the bottom in the name of margins and shareholders.
Edited by: "anewman" 21st Feb 2017
jamaza

65 quid back each... lol

​it's better than a poke in the eye.
BagABargain78

The quote refers to the "national living wage", not the minimum wage. … The quote refers to the "national living wage", not the minimum wage. There's a difference. These large businesses are so corrupt. Glad another one has been spotlighted though.

jamaza

65 quid back each... lol

Toon_army

At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I … At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder if they've opened a tin of worms here?

That's a point ...
Feel sorry for people who work in shops not getting paid the last hour for tidying up. How can that be fair?
iibdii

Worked in Tk maxx for three months the manager insisted we have to log … Worked in Tk maxx for three months the manager insisted we have to log out n tidy the shop for an hour or so That was in 2004

​Lots of shops do this. How do they get away without paying staff? Seems companies get away with a lot of things they shouldn't.
Toon_army

At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder … At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder if they've opened a tin of worms here?

Only relevant if you're paid at or slightly over the minimum wage.
I worked in a high street chemist store and workers were expected to work over their hours but not get paid for it! Those nightly 15 minutes add up!
does anyone know is sports direct will ever be held accountable to something like this, as I worked there for 2 years, and had to be there 15 mins early and finish 15 mins after designated shift.
Work at Subway part time, you are supposed to have everything done by 9:30, everything should be washed and spotless. You don't get paid after 9:30pm, you shut the store at 9PM leaving you only half an hour, to clean everything, wash it and get some prep ready for the morning staff. Minimum pay too, extremely **** organisation from head office too. Hopefully they get looked into to!
My car used to be searched after every shift i.e
my boot, glove box, hand baggage hairdressing cases ( in the boot) under my seats.
This happend to a number of staff as the manager was convinced someone was stealing.

They were and lot!!
IT WAS THE BLOODY MANAGER WHO SEARCHED US AND OUR CARS DAILY.
i work at TK Maxx and they have signs saying "please make sure you clock in 10 minuets before work for brief" but are never paid them 10 minuets and then we are told to clock out at end of shift and wait for searches (clocking out at 9pm but not leaving the building until sometimes 20 past 9!)
How do you know if you will get this?
When the national minimum wage went up my employer got round it by making our brakes longer ,so it worked out we were actually worse off ,we also had 15 minutes hand over before we started which I doubt we got paid got either.
Worked at Argos back in the late 90's. Was doing up to 70 hours a week on a 4 hour contract which they wouldn't increase, stopped getting paid at 5.30 even if last customer didn't leave until later, and then had to be searched afterwards! Probably did an extra couple of hours a week and that's when I was only paid £3 an hour!

Thank goodness I only had to work there as a teenager.
Spookirules

I worked in a high street chemist store and workers were expected to work … I worked in a high street chemist store and workers were expected to work over their hours but not get paid for it! Those nightly 15 minutes add up!

Boots by any chance? Cos they made us wait 15 mins every night while others cashed up the tills!! Never got paid for it
Decoded

​Lots of shops do this. How do they get away without paying staff? Seems c … ​Lots of shops do this. How do they get away without paying staff? Seems companies get away with a lot of things they shouldn't.

It can't be legal. I'd be refusing to clean up on my own time.
25,000 former employees? In six months? oO

Surely they haven't laid that many off already. They must be talking about Xmas temps.
So if we were an Argos employee from about eight-ten yrs ago, does this count for us? And if So, how are they going to trace everyone ? Name changes? Address changes? Etc ...
It's because there are more people than jobs and that's how companies get away with treating staff like s**t. Their attitude is don't like it then leave.
Edited by: "Decoded" 21st Feb 2017
Rid1

Work at Subway part time, you are supposed to have everything done by … Work at Subway part time, you are supposed to have everything done by 9:30, everything should be washed and spotless. You don't get paid after 9:30pm, you shut the store at 9PM leaving you only half an hour, to clean everything, wash it and get some prep ready for the morning staff. Minimum pay too, extremely **** organisation from head office too. Hopefully they get looked into to!

I thought all Subway stores were franchises?
I used to work for.argos a few years ago how would I get what I'm.owed
How do you get this money ex employee.
Be fair people it was an honest mistake X)
I worked at the Disney store and never got paid for the pre brief's that we HAD to attend, otherwise we were classed as starting work late. And then waiting for a security guard after we finished to check our bags too.

Wonder if anything will come from that?
Caught out by HMRC but then rectified
BagABargain78

jamaza

65 quid back each... lol

Toon_army

At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I … At Asda on nightshift we get searched 'after' we've clocked out, I wonder if they've opened a tin of worms here?

Actually, the National Living Wage is not the same as the National Minimum Wage. The Living Wage only applies to those over the age of 25 whereas the Minimum Wage applies to everyone over the age of 16 and apprentices.
Decoded

Feel sorry for people who work in shops not getting paid the last hour … Feel sorry for people who work in shops not getting paid the last hour for tidying up. How can that be fair?

​It isn't fair and it's about time that we hold politicians as well as businesses to account for their actions or lack thereof
kreames

Be fair people it was an honest mistake X)

​​Employee searches...yet the management and shareholders get away with theft of approx £64 from 25000 at least...
BagABargain78

jamaza

65 quid back each... lol

Toon_army

​Imagine the bank interest that the company may have benefitted from on £2.4 million over the period of the underpayment!
BagABargain78

jamaza

65 quid back each... lol

Toon_army

They are not the same. The age of entitlement is different for one thing. Maybe it's you who should learn more?
cicobuff

I thought all Subway stores were franchises?

​Nope!
Paule39

I used to work for.argos a few years ago how would I get what I'm.owed

vickypowner

So if we were an Argos employee from about eight-ten yrs ago, does this … So if we were an Argos employee from about eight-ten yrs ago, does this count for us? And if So, how are they going to trace everyone ? Name changes? Address changes? Etc ...

National insurance number most likely.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants