Argos stores closing down

Found 5th Aug 2017
There were warnings when Sainsburys took over but looks like things are in full swing now, seen several stores with signs on the window announcing that they are closing down and being shoved in a nearby Sainsburys instead.

So yet more empty shops or pound shops coming up on the high street, most of the Sainsbury locations are out of town. Wonder what will happen to all the Argos staff, will they transfer to Sainsburys?

I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco Direct where you order things in and collect a few days later.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco Direct where you order things in and collect a few days later.

Noooooo. Sainsbury's kill every online business they touch. In fact, I was whinging about how terrible their website has become yesterday:

hotukdeals.com/com…069

Full of adds, can't change how many items you view per page... reminds me of somewhere else with a terrible website. Can't put my finger on it. Hmmm.
41 Comments

That's shocking!
Meanwhile, I went to Homebase today to buy their own brand stuff and was told as they were bought by an Australian company, the name is going to change and thus all products with the Homebase name have been removed from the shelves and you can't even buy it online!

zworld27 m ago

That's shocking!Meanwhile, I went to Homebase today to buy their own brand …That's shocking!Meanwhile, I went to Homebase today to buy their own brand stuff and was told as they were bought by an Australian company, the name is going to change and thus all products with the Homebase name have been removed from the shelves and you can't even buy it online!

Welcome To 2016.

| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco Direct where you order things in and collect a few days later.

Noooooo. Sainsbury's kill every online business they touch. In fact, I was whinging about how terrible their website has become yesterday:

hotukdeals.com/com…069

Full of adds, can't change how many items you view per page... reminds me of somewhere else with a terrible website. Can't put my finger on it. Hmmm.

On the +side, fewer wild goose chase deals on HUKD

is there a list

MSK.5 h, 59 m ago

| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco …| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco Direct where you order things in and collect a few days later.Noooooo. Sainsbury's kill every online business they touch. In fact, I was whinging about how terrible their website has become yesterday:https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/31620069Full of adds, can't change how many items you view per page... reminds me of somewhere else with a terrible website. Can't put my finger on it. Hmmm.

Use Same link ^ lol

MSK.6 h, 46 m ago

| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco …| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco Direct where you order things in and collect a few days later.

To be fair, no one actually goes into Argos to browse do they? You either use the website or the catalogue first and I would imagine the use of the catalogue has decreased to next to nothing in this internet age.
It would need to be better then Tesco click and collect though, whenever I do that the staff um and er as it means leaving the ciggie counter. Then they take forever to find the item.

My local argos is massive, I've never understood why they needed such a big building, also we have a secondary one on a retail park too . The main one is being reduced in size and two restaurants are opening on the site to fill the extra space , assuming there will be a short closure while they build extra walls and move stuff around but makes far more sense

my local Argos was in Homebase - with it's own free car park. It closed a few weeks ago and moved to a sainsburys with a small (fee paying) car park

MSK.11 h, 21 m ago

| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco …| I can see it being an online only business very shortly a bit like Tesco Direct where you order things in and collect a few days later.Noooooo. Sainsbury's kill every online business they touch. In fact, I was whinging about how terrible their website has become yesterday:https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/31620069Full of adds, can't change how many items you view per page... reminds me of somewhere else with a terrible website. Can't put my finger on it. Hmmm.

I'd be happy with that tbh, every Argos store i goto its clear they are cut to the bare bone, 1 person on tills,1 bored person in the collection area, you always wait over ten mins for your stuff to arrive and never anyone on the jewellery

Satan_Claws4 h, 36 m ago

To be fair, no one actually goes into Argos to browse do they? You either …To be fair, no one actually goes into Argos to browse do they? You either use the website or the catalogue first and I would imagine the use of the catalogue has decreased to next to nothing in this internet age.It would need to be better then Tesco click and collect though, whenever I do that the staff um and er as it means leaving the ciggie counter. Then they take forever to find the item.

Loads of people get the catalogue and online I'd say has actually put people off because the catalogue isnt the full range anymore

Error4403 m ago

I'd be happy with that tbh, every Argos store i goto its clear they are …I'd be happy with that tbh, every Argos store i goto its clear they are cut to the bare bone, 1 person on tills,1 bored person in the collection area, you always wait over ten mins for your stuff to arrive and never anyone on the jewellery

Jewellery is expensive and shite. I don't know why anyone would buy it. It was okay for basics when it was cheap, but it's not cheap anymore.

We need Argos as a competitor to Amazon. And sometimes I need stuff the same day.

Then having it like Tesco direct would make it more like Amazon, in fact no collection in shops and having lockers would.

In terms of the way i use Argos yes Amazon has hit it but i think things like wilko and ikea more so as they are cheaper, lets face it you buy more coat hangers and tea towels etc then headphones and games which is what i use Amazon for mostly anyway, kitchen and home stuff is cheaper at wilko and ikea
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 6th Aug 2017

i never understood how the argos business model works as it does not seem very clever to have a huge store with lots of space only to be a collection depot. crazy.

sainsburys should close all the argos stores and take them into the sainsburys stores as click and collect. the argos paper catalogue in this day and age is just laughable, waste of resource.

ThePasty13 h, 16 m ago

Welcome To 2016.

I knew they were bought over. But, they were still selling their own brand stuff until this week.

mutley127 m ago

i never understood how the argos business model works as it does not seem …i never understood how the argos business model works as it does not seem very clever to have a huge store with lots of space only to be a collection depot. crazy.sainsburys should close all the argos stores and take them into the sainsburys stores as click and collect. the argos paper catalogue in this day and age is just laughable, waste of resource.

Thats your opinion, i like the catalogue, my parents and my aunt dont bother with online, my aunt doesn't even have online, theres more over 60s in this country then under 16s so i bet they ain't alone.

I don't bother with em much since the catalogue isnt complete anymore I can't be bothered with the website, ask yourself this do you browse an entire website looking at the furniture? I've never done so, online shopping is for what you know you want a particular book, dvd or game etc. It doesn't lend itself to browsing products yet most of what argos sells are products that you browse, they are like ikea without a showroom, massive amount of furniture, bedding etc

Error44011 m ago

Thats your opinion, i like the catalogue, my parents and my aunt dont …Thats your opinion, i like the catalogue, my parents and my aunt dont bother with online, my aunt doesn't even have online, theres more over 60s in this country then under 16s so i bet they ain't alone.I don't bother with em much since the catalogue isnt complete anymore I can't be bothered with the website, ask yourself this do you browse an entire website looking at the furniture? I've never done so, online shopping is for what you know you want a particular book, dvd or game etc. It doesn't lend itself to browsing products yet most of what argos sells are products that you browse, they are like ikea without a showroom, massive amount of furniture, bedding etc

I wonder why they still produce those catalogues in this day and age of websites. I much prefer using the website as you see lots of photos of the product at different angles, sometimes even a videos of the product. You also get user reviews and see Q&A. You can just look at departments and not the entire site. You can narrow down to price, manufacturer, special offers, all sorts which makes browsing so much easier than looking through a paper catalogue.

I don't understand why old people haven't kept pace with the internet. It is our present world so why are they not participating? What is it about old age that make people get left behind? It is not because they don't have the intelligence to use the internet, is it just fear of something new????

mutley134 m ago

I wonder why they still produce those catalogues in this day and age of …I wonder why they still produce those catalogues in this day and age of websites. I much prefer using the website as you see lots of photos of the product at different angles, sometimes even a videos of the product. You also get user reviews and see Q&A. You can just look at departments and not the entire site. You can narrow down to price, manufacturer, special offers, all sorts which makes browsing so much easier than looking through a paper catalogue.I don't understand why old people haven't kept pace with the internet. It is our present world so why are they not participating? What is it about old age that make people get left behind? It is not because they don't have the intelligence to use the internet, is it just fear of something new????

Are participating in Bowls and Bridge? Do you not have the interlagence to understand it?

mutley11 h, 51 m ago

I wonder why they still produce those catalogues in this day and age of …I wonder why they still produce those catalogues in this day and age of websites. I much prefer using the website as you see lots of photos of the product at different angles, sometimes even a videos of the product. You also get user reviews and see Q&A. You can just look at departments and not the entire site. You can narrow down to price, manufacturer, special offers, all sorts which makes browsing so much easier than looking through a paper catalogue.I don't understand why old people haven't kept pace with the internet. It is our present world so why are they not participating? What is it about old age that make people get left behind? It is not because they don't have the intelligence to use the internet, is it just fear of something new????

I think its easier to look thru a catalogue, why would you bother with something you've not needed for over 50 years of your life, my dad has internet, he still prefers the catalogue and he was probably using computers before you was born, state of the art in Whitehall in the 1970s, his first home computer had word perfect on it.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 6th Aug 2017

I used to browse the ladies underwear section in the Littlewoods catalogue, now I can surf in line and find every fetish erm item I need.

Graham19796 m ago

I used to browse the ladies underwear section in the Littlewoods …I used to browse the ladies underwear section in the Littlewoods catalogue, now I can surf in line and find every fetish erm item I need.

Lol. this made me laugh. i always feel uncomfortable when i am in the ladies lingerie section at the shops and there is a man walking around looking at lingerie. he is probably getting something for his wife or girlfriend but it still feels very odd to see a bloke walking around women's underwear section.

mutley121 m ago

Lol. this made me laugh. i always feel uncomfortable when i am in the …Lol. this made me laugh. i always feel uncomfortable when i am in the ladies lingerie section at the shops and there is a man walking around looking at lingerie. he is probably getting something for his wife or girlfriend but it still feels very odd to see a bloke walking around women's underwear section.

Would it bother you if it was the other way round. Maybe you should get with the times

mutley14 h, 22 m ago

i never understood how the argos business model works as it does not seem …i never understood how the argos business model works as it does not seem very clever to have a huge store with lots of space only to be a collection depot. crazy.sainsburys should close all the argos stores and take them into the sainsburys stores as click and collect. the argos paper catalogue in this day and age is just laughable, waste of resource.

Ever been in a screwfix or toolstation??? They seem to have no issue making the paper catalogue work.

Error44027 m ago

Would it bother you if it was the other way round. Maybe you should get …Would it bother you if it was the other way round. Maybe you should get with the times

i often go into men's underwear section to buy underwear or socks for my husband and brother, and see women in there as women often buy clothes for their men, but i don't often see men in the women's lingerie section. it feels very odd somehow.

mutley112 m ago

i often go into men's underwear section to buy underwear or socks for my …i often go into men's underwear section to buy underwear or socks for my husband and brother, and see women in there as women often buy clothes for their men, but i don't often see men in the women's lingerie section. it feels very odd somehow.

Maybe because you just answered your own question there

mutley11 h, 19 m ago

i often go into men's underwear section to buy underwear or socks for my …i often go into men's underwear section to buy underwear or socks for my husband and brother, and see women in there as women often buy clothes for their men, but i don't often see men in the women's lingerie section. it feels very odd somehow.

Ergh, you buy your brother underwear? That's well creepy.

Error4401 h, 25 m ago

Maybe because you just answered your own question there

Are you OK?

mutley16 h, 16 m ago

I don't understand why old people haven't kept pace with the internet. It …I don't understand why old people haven't kept pace with the internet. It is our present world so why are they not participating? What is it about old age that make people get left behind?

You've got room to talk about people not keeping up with the internet.

Some of the questions you ask are laughable, questions which a 5 year old could answer.

mutley13 h, 39 m ago

Lol. this made me laugh. i always feel uncomfortable when i am in the …Lol. this made me laugh. i always feel uncomfortable when i am in the ladies lingerie section at the shops and there is a man walking around looking at lingerie.

Won't happen anymore, they took out a restraining order and I have to buy before I try the underwear now, ladies sizes are so different almost as if their knickers are designed for testicles!

Graham19795 h, 19 m ago

I used to browse the ladies underwear section in the Littlewoods …I used to browse the ladies underwear section in the Littlewoods catalogue, now I can surf in line and find every fetish erm item I need.

them internet hills have eyes

MSK.3 h, 7 m ago

Ergh, you buy your brother underwear? That's well creepy.

That's not creepy, it is called well connected to the family and have natural order to family life as it had always been since the stone-age and widely accepted in nature.

splender2 m ago

That's not creepy, it is called well connected to the family and have …That's not creepy, it is called well connected to the family and have natural order to family life as it had always been since the stone-age and widely accepted in nature.

I strongly disagree. Parents maybe. Children, definitely. Brother, nah, that's just plain weird.

Can we have a vote, how many people here buy underwear for their siblings?

MSK.1 h, 45 m ago

I strongly disagree. Parents maybe. Children, definitely. Brother, …I strongly disagree. Parents maybe. Children, definitely. Brother, nah, that's just plain weird. Can we have a vote, how many people here buy underwear for their siblings?

OK, may be not one's brother.
Oh wait, yes, we do, family members may not be able to buy underwear, such as, mentally challenged, physically disabled, ones staying in care homes, (one specific peculiar need in the past, not so these days, post M&S Made In England underwear and socks abroad for siblings)....so we do need to be well connected to family needs.
Edited by: "splender" 6th Aug 2017

splender1 h, 41 m ago

them internet hills have eyes

You should have seen the eyes in the Littlewoods undies section you could even see a little mustache if you know what I mean.

I wonder what the hight street of towns up and down the country will look like in 10/20 years.
I had a mooch around the local city yesterday and noted so many empty retail shops. It would be great if the empty shops could be filled with independent traders rather than the usual high street suspects.
But I cant see them being filled, the rent and rates charged are a huge barrier to people wanting to setup a small business.

Time for a rethink by the local council, perhaps some of these stores would be suitable for a residential conversion. You could get a decent number of flats out of the old Woolworths/Cinema/BHS premises.

splender15 h, 3 m ago

That's not creepy, it is called well connected to the family and have …That's not creepy, it is called well connected to the family and have natural order to family life as it had always been since the stone-age and widely accepted in nature.

"...since the stone-age & widely accepted in nature..."?

I doubt Neanderthals bought underwear for each other,... & animals... perhaps only on special occasions.

MSK.15 h, 0 m ago

I strongly disagree. Parents maybe. Children, definitely. Brother, …I strongly disagree. Parents maybe. Children, definitely. Brother, nah, that's just plain weird. Can we have a vote, how many people here buy underwear for their siblings?

Yup. I'm with you on this.

I wouldn't even know their size, never mind want to buy them for family members.

(Getting so tired of this awful quoting nonsense now)

I've never really understood the point of argos either, they have all the stuff in the shop but I'm not allowed to see more than a picture until after I buy it... Except the few things sitting around the shop.

As for jewellery, I suppose it's ok if you want a sovereign ring made of tin.

DKLS4 h, 58 m ago

I wonder what the hight street of towns up and down the country will look …I wonder what the hight street of towns up and down the country will look like in 10/20 years.I had a mooch around the local city yesterday and noted so many empty retail shops. It would be great if the empty shops could be filled with independent traders rather than the usual high street suspects. But I cant see them being filled, the rent and rates charged are a huge barrier to people wanting to setup a small business.Time for a rethink by the local council, perhaps some of these stores would be suitable for a residential conversion. You could get a decent number of flats out of the old Woolworths/Cinema/BHS premises.

I don't even know the last time I went to the high street, it is all charity shops, pound shops, betting shops and neds(Scottish Chavs).

I got a yellow pages delivered the other day, it was tiny.
Remember back in the day, my flat was on the ground floor, would sometimes be a huge pile of yellow pages dumped outside my door

Argos will set up in Sainsburys and then eventually phase out the branding to Sainsburys direct or something similar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants