Argos to stop doing trade-in on video games??

Found 4th Dec 2011
Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section, but i just wanted to ask if anyone else has been told that Argos aren't going to accept trade-in games mych longer.

I went into my local Argos store this afternoon (Boston) and handed over a few X-box games to trade-in (as i've done many times before). None of the staff could find the trade-in price book and all said they hadn't seen it for about a week now. They then went onto an Argos online computer or something and typed in (and scanned) the numbers of all the games only for them all to come up as 0.01p. I was then told that for some reason it was not going to accept any of my games and they were sorry. As i'd made the journey into town mainly to trade the games in i said im not going until someone rings head office. I stood next to the member of staff as she made the call and she was informed that Argos will no longer be buying pre-owned games. I told her that the website still has trade-in prices on it and she explained that this was going to be taken down in the next day or so.

Has anyone else heard about this i wonder or was i fobbed off with a lie?
Community Updates
9 Comments
Moved to 'Misc'
reported for a move to misc
It happened to my wife too bit she went to another argos and they took it. The store did say that all trades are in the process of being stopped.
whatsThePoint

it was me they rang and i lied to get you out the shop

hahahaha :P
Two stores in i visited wont take them. Well they would but would only give me 1p for each one.
Looks like im not the only one they've told then! Damn i just ordered 2 games last nite hoping to make a lil profit at Argos as well Grrrrrr
bostonbadgirl

Looks like im not the only one they've told then! Damn i just ordered 2 … Looks like im not the only one they've told then! Damn i just ordered 2 games last nite hoping to make a lil profit at Argos as well Grrrrrr

I would imagine this is why they are stopping taking trade ins. Their systems don't seem to update often enough, allowing exploitation of their prices. The recent Deus Ex exploit is a classic example. As somebody else said, the margins on preowned games are good, unless you pay way over the odds. Looks like they decided to scrap trade is rather than invest in a more robust, reactive system.
Or, if you like a conspiracy, they're in danger of going into administration and can't go giving out loads of gift vouchers they cant honour.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants