Argos TV replacement question???

Found 12th Mar
Hi guys,

Long story short I bought a 55" hitachi tv last Feb that was uploaded on here. In October one morning I turned it on and there was a thin horizontal line. Rang Argos and very helpful they got me one out, two days prior to delivery I had a call saying that they discontinued the hitachi model and instead was offered a Sony Bravia 55" (yes As you could imagine I was over the moon) much better spec and HDR

HOWEVER LAST NIGHT A little white pixel appears from no where appears on the Sony Bravia, after factory reset it still hasn't gone. Spent around six calls today speaking to different people at Argos and they won't replace it or fix it as it should of been replaced for " a hitachi or bush like I should of had originally"even though if got a reference number that I was given when new Sony one was ordered. There seems nothing can do because this lady didn't do her job properly I'm not complaining about that as she done me a favour by giving me a £649 tele, but where do I stand now in regards to a return? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskElectronics
33 Comments
Try something lke this.

Standard Warning: If you suffer from epilepsy, probably best NOT to sit and watch the video linked!

Argos have already replaced the original television. They’re no longer obliged to help you further otherwise in theory you would be claiming new tele after new tele infinitely. If the second tele failed within 28 days then yes you may have had recourse to return, but now your best bet is to get it fixed yourself I’m afraid.
Toptrumpet10 m ago

Argos have already replaced the original television. They’re no longer o …Argos have already replaced the original television. They’re no longer obliged to help you further otherwise in theory you would be claiming new tele after new tele infinitely. If the second tele failed within 28 days then yes you may have had recourse to return, but now your best bet is to get it fixed yourself I’m afraid.

Ah I see your point. They didn't state what you did, they said it was down to only replacing it for a bush or hitachi. And I was like no thanks lol.
If you ring around a few local tv repairers and explain the white spot, they can probably fix the tv on site rather than taking it back to their workshop.
Toptrumpet3 m ago

If you ring around a few local tv repairers and explain the white spot, …If you ring around a few local tv repairers and explain the white spot, they can probably fix the tv on site rather than taking it back to their workshop.

Thank you
so how long did this sony bravia last before it broke? here is an article about warranty starts from initial purchase and not the time you get the replacement

wheresmyrefund.co.uk/fau…tml

this would appear to be the law but i think it is unfair as a replacement product should be new and should itself be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. if sony guarantees their product for 12 months then this should not change whether the product is bought as an initial purchase or used as a replacement.

i have never found argos customer service to be any good except that they can be very good at accepting returns. as you seem to be getting no where with argos, if you have proof of when the sony tv was delivered as a replacement, you could try to approach sony direct to see if they can help you under their 12 months manufacturer's warranty. you may get better luck with them, so worth trying. i would write to them rather than call them as then they can forward your claim to the right department and it also gives them time to think about it. calling them may put you in the situation of pot luck of who picks up the phone and making the decision themselves, which may not be considered or favourable to you.
12 months yes but the item is expected to last a resonable amount of time. For a TV it is 5 years.

Call them and state that you have not had a working TV for a resonable amount of time and if they refuse to repair you will go to trading standards.

I would also contact Sony tech dept
you should be given warranty with a new one like mutley says as im aware, I would keep trying till you find someone in there office with some common sense, say you know your rights
Most if not all Sony tvs have a five year warranty.
markvirgo16 m ago

12 months yes but the item is expected to last a resonable amount of time. …12 months yes but the item is expected to last a resonable amount of time. For a TV it is 5 years.Call them and state that you have not had a working TV for a resonable amount of time and if they refuse to repair you will go to trading standards.I would also contact Sony tech dept

Thanks Mark,

Yes forgot to mention after I gave up with Argos Sony are replacing it email confirmation said" Sony factory and is recertified to an "as-new" condition" the problem is I bought a hitachi originally, and Argos argument is I should of never been sent a Sony regardless if hitachi is out of stock
mutley132 m ago

so how long did this sony bravia last before it broke? here is an article …so how long did this sony bravia last before it broke? here is an article about warranty starts from initial purchase and not the time you get the replacementhttp://www.wheresmyrefund.co.uk/faulty-goods-replaced-do-i-get-new-warranty.htmlthis would appear to be the law but i think it is unfair as a replacement product should be new and should itself be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. if sony guarantees their product for 12 months then this should not change whether the product is bought as an initial purchase or used as a replacement.i have never found argos customer service to be any good except that they can be very good at accepting returns. as you seem to be getting no where with argos, if you have proof of when the sony tv was delivered as a replacement, you could try to approach sony direct to see if they can help you under their 12 months manufacturer's warranty. you may get better luck with them, so worth trying. i would write to them rather than call them as then they can forward your claim to the right department and it also gives them time to think about it. calling them may put you in the situation of pot luck of who picks up the phone and making the decision themselves, which may not be considered or favourable to you.

Hey thanks mutely. Sony were a lot more helpful. Someone at Argos obviously was leaving their job and by pot luck I must of had someone who didn't care to much about their job or was leaving and was nice enough to get me out a TV £300 more than the original Hitachi
So Sony are sending a replacement?. I don't understand what your issue is
mutley140 m ago

so how long did this sony bravia last before it broke? here is an article …so how long did this sony bravia last before it broke? here is an article about warranty starts from initial purchase and not the time you get the replacementhttp://www.wheresmyrefund.co.uk/faulty-goods-replaced-do-i-get-new-warranty.htmlthis would appear to be the law but i think it is unfair as a replacement product should be new and should itself be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. if sony guarantees their product for 12 months then this should not change whether the product is bought as an initial purchase or used as a replacement.i have never found argos customer service to be any good except that they can be very good at accepting returns. as you seem to be getting no where with argos, if you have proof of when the sony tv was delivered as a replacement, you could try to approach sony direct to see if they can help you under their 12 months manufacturer's warranty. you may get better luck with them, so worth trying. i would write to them rather than call them as then they can forward your claim to the right department and it also gives them time to think about it. calling them may put you in the situation of pot luck of who picks up the phone and making the decision themselves, which may not be considered or favourable to you.

Had it in October. Sunday night it broke, Argos argument is there is no where to day it was a Sony Bravia delivered. All I had was a phone call on or around the 1-2 or 3rd of October last year to say, the girl was sorry and it was a Sony Bravia 55" that was going to be delivered instead and would that be ok? All this was prior to dispatch. She gave me her name (but i have since forgotten, as this was back in October)

I even contacted executive office today four calls back and still didn't have any justice. In fairness he did keep calling me back but couldn't do anything as I shouldn't ever of been sent out this Sony tv, my argument is how is that my problem, someone who works at Argos didn't do there job properly? (I'm happy tho as this new Sony has better spec) just gutted I can't get a replacement
ScubaDudes5 m ago

So Sony are sending a replacement?. I don't understand what your issue is …So Sony are sending a replacement?. I don't understand what your issue is

All sorted now. Yes I had to contact Sony. Argos didn't do anything just throw me from pillar to post. UPDATE: all sorted thanks to SONY
How did you get Argos to step in to sort the TV?
I bought a TV 11.3.2017, and reported to philips 3.5.2017 I had issues thinking Philips were responsible.

Only owning the tv a year and had issues since 2 months in. I'm wondering if I have a case with Argos to sort/replace.
Edited by: "kos1c" 12th Mar
kos1c6 m ago

How did you get Argos to step in to sort the TV? I bought a TV 11.3.2017, …How did you get Argos to step in to sort the TV? I bought a TV 11.3.2017, and reported to philips 3.5.2017 I had issues thinking Philips were responsible. Only owning the tv a year and had issues since 2 months in. I'm wondering if I have a case with Argos to sort/replace.

Unlike me who had nothing in writing to say a Sony was delivered. You'll have a lot of luck speaking to technical support dept of Argos. Ask for replacement you'll have a new one! Did Philips not give u a new one?
Edited by: "machomansavage" 12th Mar
Glad you got it sorted OP

i hate it when i think someone has done me over. My favourite tv brand is samsung and lg. I also have a sony but that is third in my list. I had a hitachi, and i wont buy one again. Nothing against it, i just dont like the brand. No particular reason, i just dont like it
machomansavage41 m ago

Unlike me who had nothing in writing to say a Sony was delivered. You'll … Unlike me who had nothing in writing to say a Sony was delivered. You'll have a lot of luck speaking to technical support dept of Argos. Ask for replacement you'll have a new one! Did Philips not give u a new one?

Philips told me to update firmware and do this and that. I just gave up as the issue wasn't bad at the time. But the past few months it's just getting worse slowly.

33429109-dIYhZ.jpg33429109-FgXtc.jpgFrom time to time.

I got an open ticket with Philips but getting a reply is pathetic. Will try my luck with Argos.
kos1c23 m ago

Philips told me to update firmware and do this and that. I just gave up as …Philips told me to update firmware and do this and that. I just gave up as the issue wasn't bad at the time. But the past few months it's just getting worse slowly. [Image] [Image] From time to time. I got an open ticket with Philips but getting a reply is pathetic. Will try my luck with Argos.

Yes do! It's it still under a year Warrenty? Just assumed everyone knew about Argos being first point of call. Don't mention you've spoke to Philips ring and explain to Argos. And have u got your Order number from when you reserved this? You'll need that if not il sure they'll be able to look up your address... Bet you're glad u came across my thread now lol one last thing? Have u done a factory reset? If not do that! Might fix ur issue btw let us know how You get on with Argos
Edited by: "machomansavage" 12th Mar
mutley129 m ago

Glad you got it sorted OPi hate it when i think someone has done me over. …Glad you got it sorted OPi hate it when i think someone has done me over. My favourite tv brand is samsung and lg. I also have a sony but that is third in my list. I had a hitachi, and i wont buy one again. Nothing against it, i just dont like the brand. No particular reason, i just dont like it

After some research Hitachi closed there factory's in 2012. Argos have since bought them out
machomansavage11 h, 48 m ago

Yes do! It's it still under a year Warrenty? Just assumed everyone knew … Yes do! It's it still under a year Warrenty? Just assumed everyone knew about Argos being first point of call. Don't mention you've spoke to Philips ring and explain to Argos. And have u got your Order number from when you reserved this? You'll need that if not il sure they'll be able to look up your address... Bet you're glad u came across my thread now lol one last thing? Have u done a factory reset? If not do that! Might fix ur issue btw let us know how You get on with Argos

I believe it'll be over it's 1 year warranty. But don't items have 2 year warranty by law now?

I've done everything I can to try fix it. Factory resets, full firmware refresh (install #1 upto the latest).
kos1c2 h, 7 m ago

I believe it'll be over it's 1 year warranty. But don't items have 2 year …I believe it'll be over it's 1 year warranty. But don't items have 2 year warranty by law now? I've done everything I can to try fix it. Factory resets, full firmware refresh (install #1 upto the latest).

Update Argos also got in touch after the eating them with trading standards and they've agreed to replace it. Now I've got to decide who I want to o the process Sony or Argos
Argos won't do a thing for me as I'm over the 1 year warranty by 3 days. If I had known Argos actually cover the TV for the first year I would've contacted them. I went straight to Philips, as on the product page I had "Manufacturer's 2 year guarantee." which made me believe it was down to Philips for all faults and not Argos.

I wish I had checked their Faq, before I ordered the TV. I'm just glad there isn't much of an issue when it bugs out, a inconvinent power reset seems to fix it till it happens again. Will try my luck with Philips.
Toptrumpet18 h, 37 m ago

Argos have already replaced the original television. They’re no longer o …Argos have already replaced the original television. They’re no longer obliged to help you further otherwise in theory you would be claiming new tele after new tele infinitely. If the second tele failed within 28 days then yes you may have had recourse to return, but now your best bet is to get it fixed yourself I’m afraid.

Sorry that's wrong. The original purchase date for the original TV would stand.

I've no idea where you pulled 28 days from.
kos1c2 h, 5 m ago

Argos won't do a thing for me as I'm over the 1 year warranty by 3 days. …Argos won't do a thing for me as I'm over the 1 year warranty by 3 days. If I had known Argos actually cover the TV for the first year I would've contacted them. I went straight to Philips, as on the product page I had "Manufacturer's 2 year guarantee." which made me believe it was down to Philips for all faults and not Argos.I wish I had checked their Faq, before I ordered the TV. I'm just glad there isn't much of an issue when it bugs out, a inconvinent power reset seems to fix it till it happens again. Will try my luck with Philips.

Ring Philips back and ask to speak to a manager. I find from
Experience the advisor will do anything they can then. Ask to speak to a manager and let me know how u got on
kos1c2 h, 10 m ago

Argos won't do a thing for me as I'm over the 1 year warranty by 3 days. …Argos won't do a thing for me as I'm over the 1 year warranty by 3 days. If I had known Argos actually cover the TV for the first year I would've contacted them. I went straight to Philips, as on the product page I had "Manufacturer's 2 year guarantee." which made me believe it was down to Philips for all faults and not Argos.I wish I had checked their Faq, before I ordered the TV. I'm just glad there isn't much of an issue when it bugs out, a inconvinent power reset seems to fix it till it happens again. Will try my luck with Philips.

Ring Philips and ask for a manager, the advisor who answers will put on his or her best customer service experience. If no avail keep asking for one. Persistence is key! Threaten them that you've already spoken to trading standards and the television has been getting worse and worse since u originally made the complaint. Let me know how u get on!:)
kos1c12th Mar

Philips told me to update firmware and do this and that. I just gave up as …Philips told me to update firmware and do this and that. I just gave up as the issue wasn't bad at the time. But the past few months it's just getting worse slowly. [Image] [Image] From time to time. I got an open ticket with Philips but getting a reply is pathetic. Will try my luck with Argos.

How did u get on???
machomansavage1 h, 0 m ago

How did u get on???

Got told to ring them and use some screen sharing app. Been too busy to bother and don't think I can be bothered. As they'll do their scans and be like "nothing is wrong."
kos1c22 m ago

Got told to ring them and use some screen sharing app. Been too busy to …Got told to ring them and use some screen sharing app. Been too busy to bother and don't think I can be bothered. As they'll do their scans and be like "nothing is wrong."

Tbh I'm far more persistent than you. My new tv came today its a upgrade too
machomansavage4 m ago

Tbh I'm far more persistent than you. My new tv came today its a upgrade …Tbh I'm far more persistent than you. My new tv came today its a upgrade too

I am with most things. The TV works 99% off the time, so not gonna go through the hassle that'll probably end at "we can't find a fault."
Edited by: "kos1c" 20th Mar
kos1c15 m ago

I am with most things. The TV works 99% off the time, so not gonna go …I am with most things. The TV works 99% off the time, so not gonna go through the hassle that'll probably end at "we can't find a fault."

U know that image u put up? It looked really bad. Why dont you go on ceomail.com and email philips director? Especially as youre getting no justice. Or executive office theyll help just dont take no for an answer
machomansavage41 m ago

U know that image u put up? It looked really bad. Why dont you go on …U know that image u put up? It looked really bad. Why dont you go on ceomail.com and email philips director? Especially as youre getting no justice. Or executive office theyll help just dont take no for an answer

That image is usually when watching YouTube TV app and I try casting a YouTube 4k video off the phone. It seems to crash the app and then the screen goes like that.
I've not tried it since the most recent update, just not had the time.

If I have a crash again I'll follow up with Philips. Just currently this week I don't have the time spare to wait on support agents.
Edited by: "kos1c" 20th Mar
kos1c2 m ago

That image is usually when watching YouTube TV app and I try casting a …That image is usually when watching YouTube TV app and I try casting a YouTube 4k video off the phone. It seems to crash the app and then the screen goes like that. I've not tried it since the most recent update, just not had the time. If I have a crash again I'll follow up with Philips. Just currently this week I don't have the time spare to wait on support agents.

Seem like a nice person. Being too nice doesn't do any justice with CS. Next time you speak to them just please please make up you've spoken to trading standards and consumer regulations act 1985 is applicable
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions