Argos want money for a purchase 2 months that they claim they didn't take

LocalFound 13th Feb 2016
Just received an email from Argos sayings I owe them £70 for an item I had delivered on the 21st November 2015 but they didn't take the money.

I haven't checked my banking but do I have to pay it if it's there fault they didn't take it then?
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
I had a letter from them saying that they never collected the money I paid via paypal to collect something from them from a local argos.
It seems they did take it and then refund it and then take it and refunded again so I will ignore the letter
Of course you have to pay for goods you have received.
They are allowed to ask for their money. They can (although I doubt it) also take you to court for the money, credit file issues etc.
read their T&Cs carefully

there is probably a clause that says the title of the goods does not pass to you until payment is received by them

Yes you can ignore the request, but after checking your bank / credit card statements it is clear they have not been paid then it would be best to pay.

Yes you can argue it's their mistake but all Argos will do is refer the debt to a collection agency and credit reference agency - both of which will give you more grief than just paying the £70

EliTom
why would you not want to....???

If you paid and they didnt deliver... could they just decide not too no

contracts work both ways
You've checked your bank, no doubt you knew at the time they hadn't taken the money and just thought, bonus.
You tried to get away with it, they found out you hadn't paid, now you do. Sorry.
How dare they request money for goods you received. What has the world come too!!!!
Personally if you don't pay I feel it's shop lifting.
on a separate note I brought some thing for them and want to return it I have opened the packaging im I still able to get a refund
check very thoroughly if they took the money, argos has become a very sketchy company for customer relations recently and this activity seems pretty suspicious
As I say I need to go get a bank statement as I had a fair few orders of the same items around the same time. Even if they didn't take the money I think its a little cheeky to be asking for it almost 3 months later
sdoherty1000

As I say I need to go get a bank statement as I had a fair few orders of … As I say I need to go get a bank statement as I had a fair few orders of the same items around the same time. Even if they didn't take the money I think its a little cheeky to be asking for it almost 3 months later

no its not cheeky. I think they have about 6 years to claim back money you owe them. You may not like this, I fully understand, but you are in debt to them. I do appreciate finding that lump sum immediately could be a little difficult just now. If you really can't pay it back just now I am sure if you negotiate a reasonable regular sum they would accept.
It may be their mistake - but mistakes are allowed to be made - but such mistakes does not mean they should be penalised for it. By all means, dig your heels in if you want - that is your choice - but I think in the long run you would regret it.
tardytortoise

no its not cheeky. I think they have about 6 years to claim back money … no its not cheeky. I think they have about 6 years to claim back money you owe them. You may not like this, I fully understand, but you are in debt to them. I do appreciate finding that lump sum immediately could be a little difficult just now. If you really can't pay it back just now I am sure if you negotiate a reasonable regular sum they would accept. It may be their mistake - but mistakes are allowed to be made - but such mistakes does not mean they should be penalised for it. By all means, dig your heels in if you want - that is your choice - but I think in the long run you would regret it.

I agree with this. If you havent paid you owe them the money but some people dont check statements etc and £70 coukd be alot of money to some people. They should let you pay it up interest free if thats the case
actually I don't think you should pay them, if they can't get their procedures together then tough, I had a nightmare with a mattress I ordered, the description was wrong and they didn't care, and they still haven't fixed the description.
I don't mind paying if it is an error but if I had gone in store, and said I would pay in 3 months they wouldn't let me leave. I accept it could be a mistake on their part but just seems odd that this has happened.
123batman321

I agree with this. If you havent paid you owe them the money but some … I agree with this. If you havent paid you owe them the money but some people dont check statements etc and £70 coukd be alot of money to some people. They should let you pay it up interest free if thats the case

Don't be so ridiculous. The OP clearly had the money to spend as they meant for it to be spent in the first place. they then shouldn't have spent it on something else as they hadn't paid for the item.

Don't be so ridiculous. The OP clearly had the money to spend as they … Don't be so ridiculous. The OP clearly had the money to spend as they meant for it to be spent in the first place. they then shouldn't have spent it on something else as they hadn't paid for the item.

Yes HAD the money. In the post if you would care to have a look before spouting off rubbish states he hasnt checked his banking to see if the money came out

He may have assumed the money came out already and not have a spare £70 lying around to pay it now

Its their fault for forgetting to put the bill through and although i agree op is liable for the outstanding balance its reasonable to not expect payment right away
123batman321

Yes HAD the money. In the post if you would care to have a look before … Yes HAD the money. In the post if you would care to have a look before spouting off rubbish states he hasnt checked his banking to see if the money came outHe may have assumed the money came out already and not have a spare £70 lying around to pay it nowIts their fault for forgetting to put the bill through and although i agree op is liable for the outstanding balance its reasonable to not expect payment right away

You basically made my point for me.. If he has not checked his account then he would have already pre worked out how much money he could spend. thus the £70 would have been budgeted out as money he couldn't use anymore and should still be sitting there ready to pay for his items. he has the item and didn't specify to argos that he wanted some form of finance on it then it should be paid in full straight away. not argos fault if he thinks he's gotten away with not paying for something and then spends the money on something else.

You basically made my point for me.. If he has not checked his account … You basically made my point for me.. If he has not checked his account then he would have already pre worked out how much money he could spend. thus the £70 would have been budgeted out as money he couldn't use anymore and should still be sitting there ready to pay for his items. he has the item and didn't specify to argos that he wanted some form of finance on it then it should be paid in full straight away. not argos fault if he thinks he's gotten away with not paying for something and then spends the money on something else.

Youve lost now. My point was some people only check their balance not what has come out and to whom. Therfore wouldnt notice the 70 hasnt come out.

I have forgot to charge people twice before once was over a month once only a week. As it was my mistake i did the polite thing called them and apologised and told them i didnt need payment strait away although both paid within a couple of days
Prove they didn't take the money or pay. It's very simple.
itsdavidjones1984

Prove they did take the money or pay. It's very simple.

^ Or this.
Jesus Christ some of these comments are rediculous, if Argos have been incompetent in their sales then that's their own fault! Take ya stuff and tell them u will pay 5 pound a week as you now don't have the funds spare! It's their own fault for not taking the payment and shipping out the item before payment cleared!!!
Please... about shoplifting,,,- actually laughable!!
Nikkii1234

Jesus Christ some of these comments are rediculous, if Argos have been … Jesus Christ some of these comments are rediculous, if Argos have been incompetent in their sales then that's their own fault! Take ya stuff and tell them u will pay 5 pound a week as you now don't have the funds spare! It's their own fault for not taking the payment and shipping out the item before payment cleared!!! Please... about shoplifting,,,- actually laughable!!

^^^ broken Britain attitude - 15 months late lol
Nikkii1234

Jesus Christ some of these comments are rediculous, if Argos have been … Jesus Christ some of these comments are rediculous, if Argos have been incompetent in their sales then that's their own fault! Take ya stuff and tell them u will pay 5 pound a week as you now don't have the funds spare! It's their own fault for not taking the payment and shipping out the item before payment cleared!!! Please... about shoplifting,,,- actually laughable!!

Hello
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants