Expired

argos Xmas returns policy - no receipt?

17 replies
Found 25th Dec 2014
my son received a duplicate toy gift which we know was purchased from Argos (Lego set current price £9). it is a duplicate so unopened, are they likely to allow him to exchange for something else anyone know please?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
  2. Christmas
17 Comments

no...if you turn up trying to return an item without a receipt you are likely to be arrested and will have to attend court.

If you say it's a dublicature, they will probably send for the grammar police. So take care, good luck.

unfortunately, i doubt it. you're better off trying to see if sainsbury's sell the same item and taking it there. they have a no quibble no receipt return policy. argos are pretty crap about in store returns, although they may offer you a gift voucher. i'd call their customer service line first to avoid a wasted trip, but call first thing in the morning as their lines are likely to be busy with these sorts of questions.
Edited by: "espirit77" 25th Dec 2014

Does it have item number sticker on?

why thumb my answer down but not improve upon it. lolz.

leewilson338

Does it have item number sticker on?

This ^

It most likely will, this may be why you know where it was purchased?

In which case they should offer you a gift voucher for equal value.

espirit77

why thumb my answer down but not improve upon it. lolz.

Probably wasn't even anyone making a comment and its probably because you suggested returning elsewhere which would be unfair. Each to their own I guess. I haven't thumbed up or down btw!

joshp

Probably wasn't even anyone making a comment and its probably because you … Probably wasn't even anyone making a comment and its probably because you suggested returning elsewhere which would be unfair. Each to their own I guess. I haven't thumbed up or down btw!

I disagree but then im from US which is far more customer service focused

If it has the argos code sticker on but no receipt they normally do a credit more for the lowest price they've sold it at. This is what they did with a gift my son got two if for his birthday.

waterstones also take back books bought at wh smith for half the price. yes ive done it. shock horror.

If you know it's DEFINITELY from Argos I see nothing wrong with doing the following... But I expect this will create some discussion over the morals of it!:

Go to Argos and buy the exact same item but pay by debit card

A few days later, return the item you just bought for a refund using the receipt as proof of purchase because you "changed your mind"

Now wait for your bank statement to arrive or print from a cash machine / internet banking. Make sure it shows the purchase you made but not the refund. Use this as proof of purchase to return the unwanted gift.

Yes, I did exactly this a while ago... A bit sneaky and I might get slated for it but I knew the original had been bought from Argos so I had no qualms doing so.

Original Poster

Jacksonsmam

If it has the argos code sticker on but no receipt they normally do a … If it has the argos code sticker on but no receipt they normally do a credit more for the lowest price they've sold it at. This is what they did with a gift my son got two if for his birthday.

it has the white sticker code. I've got to return another item with receipt anyway so will take it with and see what they say, thanks all!

If no receipt and is unopened they will give you a gift card to the value of, it's been their policy for years.

Original Poster

thanks he's reserved something else so hopefully they'll allow him to exchange it at current full price and pay the little extra for the new item

northeastkev

If you know it's DEFINITELY from Argos I see nothing wrong with doing the … If you know it's DEFINITELY from Argos I see nothing wrong with doing the following... But I expect this will create some discussion over the morals of it!:Go to Argos and buy the exact same item but pay by debit card A few days later, return the item you just bought for a refund using the receipt as proof of purchase because you "changed your mind"Now wait for your bank statement to arrive or print from a cash machine / internet banking. Make sure it shows the purchase you made but not the refund. Use this as proof of purchase to return the unwanted gift. Yes, I did exactly this a while ago... A bit sneaky and I might get slated for it but I knew the original had been bought from Argos so I had no qualms doing so.

i did this at superdrug one year with perfume i didn't like, except i wasn't sure it had been bought at superdrug. the cashier was literally going to go upstairs to check if that serial number matched one they'd sold - couldn't believe it! i told her i was in a rush and gave her evils, so she relented.

i used to work at virgin megastore uk, many years ago. we took back everything without a receipt in return for credit, or an exchange. it made more people come into the store and spend more money... that's why i don't think there's anything wrong with it....until they went bust of course, but this wasn't one of the reasons why.

espirit77

i did this at superdrug one year with perfume i didn't like, except i … i did this at superdrug one year with perfume i didn't like, except i wasn't sure it had been bought at superdrug. the cashier was literally going to go upstairs to check if that serial number matched one they'd sold - couldn't believe it! i told her i was in a rush and gave her evils, so she relented.

Ah, the classic American way of applying pressure even when not in possession of the facts (or, in this case, receipt).
Also known as 'bullying'.

You'll get store credit as long as it's in resellable condition (sealed, immaculate condition) and not the usual stuff you don't get refunds on such as earrings, hard drives etc (ive worked at Argos)
Edited by: "dannyy1" 27th Dec 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415467
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604830
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314660

See more discussions