Groups
    EXPIRED

Arm in plaster and working

Hi guys
    I currently have my arm in plater and iam signed off work by the hospital.I took my sicknote into work and they have asked me to go in and work and doing something different just to get me back.Does anyone know where i stand to being insured while signed off or being at work in plaster,not sure what to do.Manythanks.

20 Comments

i thought only your doctor could sign you off for work not hospital

you cant work while signed off you could get signed back on for work from your doc its not unreasonable for your work to ask you in if there are other jobs you could be doing

jamstaruk1972;7981998

i thought only your doctor could sign you off for work not hospital

What? You saying hospitals don't have any doctors these days? The NHS must be really bad then!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

well whats your work, and is the insurance with the company or is it personal?

harlzter;7982035

What? You saying hospitals don't have any doctors these days? The NHS … What? You saying hospitals don't have any doctors these days? The NHS must be really bad then!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

im saying all the times ive been in plaster or ill NEVER has anyone in the hospital been able to sign me off always gave me a letter to take to docs they signed me off

maybe its diff here in scotland

youd be covered by works insurance as long as you were signed fit to work by the doc whether your in plaster makes no odds

how did you injure yourself anyway your work may not have to pay you depends on your length of service

you are not insured to work whilst signed off with a sick certificate - if you are able to work doing a different type of work (which i cant see you being able to if you have your arm in plaster) then your doctor can sign you off as being fit for work

sn0ttyang3l;7982214

(which i cant see you being able to if you have your arm in plaster)

huh hows that then i do mainly manual work lots of lifting when my arm was in plaster i went back to work in office doing office work you only need 1 arm and to be fair people with no arms still work

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies,so basically the doctor needs to sign me fit to work before i return by the sounds of it.Was more concerened whether the company insurance would cover me being there when basically iam slightly hindered and could it be a safety issue.By the way hospitals do sign you off and i believe thats always been the case.By the way its the arm i use to write and what they are asking me to do may involve writing which i cant do with my other hand.

bobbybox;7982423

Thanks for the replies,so basically the doctor needs to sign me fit to … Thanks for the replies,so basically the doctor needs to sign me fit to work before i return by the sounds of it.Was more concerened whether the company insurance would cover me being there when basically iam slightly hindered and could it be a safety issue.By the way hospitals do sign you off and i believe thats always been the case.

like i said maybe diff up here but as long as your signed off you cant work tho your pay may be affected so make sure you check it out

Original Poster

No i get sick pay as have ten years service.

If you've broken a bone you need to take it easy for a while, you'll probably be quite tired while it heals. Ask your doc and see what they say.

If you're signed off sick from work, then you're off sick, it's not a case of off sick for one job but okay to do another, you're off sick, end of. As far as I am aware, your employer would be on seriously shaky ground requesting you to come in to work (albeit to do a different job) whilst you are unfit to do your contracted job. And in any case, on a moral issue, you've broken a bone, you're in plaster, your body needs time to heal - so go heal!!

Original Poster

Thanks one and all,maybe they are trying to pull a fast one.Will phone my G.P and see what she says.:thumbsup:

Both hospitals and GP's can sign you off. If you are signed off then you should only go back to work if your Doctor gives you a 'fit to return to work' certificate. That will also cover you and your employer.

bobbybox;7982589

Thanks one and all,maybe they are trying to pull a fast one.Will phone my … Thanks one and all,maybe they are trying to pull a fast one.Will phone my G.P and see what she says.:thumbsup:

Seriously, I just read your post that they are going to give you sick pay. Don't go in! Why should you? Your employer certainly has no right to ask and you would be doing them a favour.

Original Poster

kt21;7982703

Both hospitals and GP's can sign you off. If you are signed off then you … Both hospitals and GP's can sign you off. If you are signed off then you should only go back to work if your Doctor gives you a 'fit to return to work' certificate. That will also cover you and your employer.

My employer well rather manager said they can get round the sicknote though not sure what he meant,trouble is if i dont go back then they may make my life awkward when i do plus getting bored lol

Banned

You should have refused the sick note, I've only been signed off work once when I broke my collar bone having an argument with a tractor. Broke my hand another time but still did packing, pulling etc with my other hand and could still use both my arms.

You should go to work, it's common practice for something like that for you to get "light duties".

You aren't sick as such

jamstaruk1972;7982259

huh hows that then i do mainly manual work lots of lifting when my arm … huh hows that then i do mainly manual work lots of lifting when my arm was in plaster i went back to work in office doing office work you only need 1 arm and to be fair people with no arms still work

you are a female doing office work - as he was a man i assumed he did manual work outside of an office and for that he would not be able to do - you should not have been doing maual labour with one arm in plaster as you are liable to drop things and be unable to catch them safely and could cause injury to another person - if you sit in an office all day then there is no reason not to rturn to work if your employers insurance covers you and you have been signed off as fit for work. i broke my foot and went into work on crutches as i work in an office and couldnt see a valid reason for being off (my doctor had signed me off as unfit for work but i didnt tell my employer or show them the certificate) when my boss found out after 3 days she told me i was not covered on insurance and needed to go home and that they would not let me back to work without a certificate from my doctor saying i was fit for work and without the cast.

the bottom line is - if your employer is saying that their insurance covers you then go back to work - but make sure you get a letter from them saying it in case you do cause an injury to someone else
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One thing you've forgotten79
      2. Get an annual MOT reminder714
      3. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185

See more discussions