Armed Robber captured by customer in LEEDS

Banned 77 replies
Found 14th May 2010
A customer in a Leeds betting office captured an armed robber who threatened to shoot him, a court has heard.

Judo expert Martin Richardson was in the William Hill bookies in Burley on 28 January when the robbery took place.

Twenty-year-old Azar Sulman pointed his gun at Mr Richardson who then knocked him to the floor with a chair and held on to him until police arrived.

Sulman, of Brudenell Road, Leeds, was sent to a young offenders' institution for six years after admitting robbery.

The judge at Leeds Crown Court also sentenced him to six years for two other robberies and an attempted robbery between November 2009 and January 2010.

The sentences are to run concurrently.

We would like to pay tribute to Mr Richardson for his courage and cool-headedness during what must have been an absolutely terrifying experience
Det Insp Neil Thompson, West Yorkshire Police

The court was told that 38-year-old Mr Richardson, the father of Leeds Rhinos rugby league player Ryan Bailey, could now be in line for bravery awards from both West Yorkshire Police and the Association of British Bookmakers.

Judge Scott Wolstenholme awarded him £250 from the public purse for his public spirited actions.

Mr Richardson had been playing the fruit machines in the bookies when Sulman struck shortly before closing time.

He forced the cashier to hand over money but as he tried to flee his escape was blocked by Mr Richardson.

It was only after the incident that police discovered the weapon used by Sulman was a replica handgun.

Det Insp Neil Thompson, of West Yorkshire Police, said: "We would like to pay tribute to Mr Richardson for his courage and cool-headedness during what must have been an absolutely terrifying experience, staring down the barrel of a gun being pointed at him by a masked robber.

"We never encourage members of the public to put themselves at risk by taking on armed criminals but Mr Richardson's brave and public-spirited actions in tackling and detaining this man clearly helped police to take a serial armed robber off the streets and stop him offending again."

76 Comments

Banned

Was just going to post this myself. A great feel good story for a Friday :-D

Original Poster Banned

took his chances that the gun wasnt loaded or the guy wouldnt dare use it didnt he?

I'm surprised Richardson wasn't arrested for assault etc etc.

Original Poster Banned

£250 reward for his troubles from the "purse"

whats wrong with william hills giving him a few quid or at least some credit to squander?

Banned

Typical of Leeds though I have to say :whistling:

Azar Sulman pointed his gun at Mr Richardson who then knocked him to the … Azar Sulman pointed his gun at Mr Richardson who then knocked him to the floor with a chair and held on to him until police arrived.

how long before the criminal tries to do the hero for assault

braver than me, could of been a different story if it were a real gun

Original Poster Banned

master_chief;8604905

Typical of Leeds though I have to say :whistling:

what spirited actions?;-)

not taking any crap etc

casparwhite;8604899

£250 reward for his troubles from the "purse"whats wrong with william … £250 reward for his troubles from the "purse"whats wrong with william hills giving him a few quid or at least some credit to squander?

+1

Brave or stupid, what if it had been a loaded gun?

ilovepink;8604909

how long before the criminal tries to do the hero for assault braver … how long before the criminal tries to do the hero for assault braver than me, could of been a different story if it were a real gun

Could have been, but I'd say he'd have trained for such an eventuality and have several methods of destroying the robbers arm before he could consider pulling the trigger

Wish I knew martial arts

http://hephaestusaudio.com/media/2008/11/chuck-norris-bruce-lee.jpg

Banned

casparwhite;8604912

what spirited actions?;-)not taking any crap etc

I would put it that the "good" guy was far from a saint. Probably a local gang member/leader protecting his patch. Sounds much more Leedsesque if you ask me...

Original Poster Banned

master_chief;8604955

I would put it that the "good" guy was far from a saint. Probably a local … I would put it that the "good" guy was far from a saint. Probably a local gang member/leader protecting his patch. Sounds much more Leedsesque if you ask me...

hes the father of a leeds rhinos player

this is his son
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39334000/jpg/_39334219_ryan_bailey_203.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/09/02/218x298/Ryan-Bailey-Leeds-Rhinos-Super-League_1890748.jpg

Banned

Armed robber? Leeds? Tell me it 'aint so!

Banned

casparwhite;8604964

hes the father of a leeds rhinos playerthis is his son

John Terry's father is a model citizen too :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

master_chief;8604979

John Terry's father is a model citizen too :whistling:

well he was probably in william hills to put a bet on.........inside information

my point was the guys genetics are BIG put that with no nonsense leeds mentality:)

Banned

casparwhite;8605001

well he was probably in william hills to put a bet on.........inside … well he was probably in william hills to put a bet on.........inside informationmy point was the guys genetics are BIG put that with no nonsense leeds mentality:)

Leeds, even its biggest supporters don't live there

Banned

Q. What's the difference between a Leeds fan and a coconut?
A. One's thick and hairy, and the other's a tropical fruit.

Q: What's the difference between a Pyromaniac and Leeds football club?
A: A Pyromaniac wouldn't throw away all his matches!

Q: What has 70,000 arms and an IQ of 170
A: Elland road every other Saturday.

Q: Why do people take an instant dislike to anyone from Leeds?
A: It saves time

Q: What do you call a Leeds fan in a 2 bedroomed Semi?
A: A burglar

I'm here all week!

Original Poster Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8605081

Q. What's the difference between a Leeds fan and a coconut?A. One's thick … Q. What's the difference between a Leeds fan and a coconut?A. One's thick and hairy, and the other's a tropical fruit.Q: What's the difference between a Pyromaniac and Leeds football club?A: A Pyromaniac wouldn't throw away all his matches!Q: What has 70,000 arms and an IQ of 170A: Elland road every other Saturday.Q: Why do people take an instant dislike to anyone from Leeds?A: It saves timeQ: What do you call a Leeds fan in a 2 bedroomed Semi?A: A burglarI'm here all week!

what now your posting generic jokes?

you should be in the other thread explaining yourself or admitting you were wrong:whistling:

casparwhite;8604865

took his chances that the gun wasnt loaded or the guy wouldnt dare use it … took his chances that the gun wasnt loaded or the guy wouldnt dare use it didnt he?

Your right, it was a bit of a gamble :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

mr.potato_head;8605287

is the smiley whistley man there because you know its a replica from reading the article?

Banned

casparwhite;8605140

what now your posting generic jokes?you should be in the other thread … what now your posting generic jokes?you should be in the other thread explaining yourself or admitting you were wrong:whistling:

17.5% and 3% are the same. I agree with you. You are correct. :roll:

Original Poster Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8605980

17.5% and 3% are the same. I agree with you. You are correct. :roll:

wrong thread:)

wrong question/answer:roll:

Banned

casparwhite;8605990

wrong thread:)wrong question/answer:roll:

Casper, just because you're lacking in something that makes you want to argue with everyone about everything, doesn't mean all of us have to entertain it.

Like I said, have a good weekend - try and chill out a bit. :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8606032

Casper, just because you're lacking in something that makes you want to … Casper, just because you're lacking in something that makes you want to argue with everyone about everything, doesn't mean all of us have to entertain it.Like I said, have a good weekend - try and chill out a bit. :thumbsup:

im only asking you to clarify yourself, as for arguing with everyone well thats subjective, if i question someones opinion is this arguing? is defending myself arguing?

youve drawn a simple question out over 3 thread and about 20 posts.........by not answering it

many would see your post as argumentative as well as ignorant and arrogant, but lets not start making this personal eh......its an internet forum:roll:

Banned

Lilly_White;8604926

Brave or stupid, what if it had been a loaded gun?

casparwhite;8604865

took his chances that the gun wasnt loaded or the guy wouldnt dare use it … took his chances that the gun wasnt loaded or the guy wouldnt dare use it didnt he?

mr.potato_head;8605287

He was interviewed on the news, he said he thought he was about to die as the guy pointed the gun at him so he told himself he wasn't going to go down without a fight.

He was in hospital with a broken arm after a tackle in a rugby game :roll:

Brings a tear to your eye, well mine.

Banned

casparwhite;8606080

im only asking you to clarify yourself, as for arguing with everyone well … im only asking you to clarify yourself, as for arguing with everyone well thats subjective, if i question someones opinion is this arguing? is defending myself arguing? youve drawn a simple question out over 3 thread and about 20 posts.........by not answering itmany would see your post as argumentative as well as ignorant and arrogant, but lets not start making this personal eh......its an internet forum:roll:

Your questions are loaded. And that is transparent. I'm not attacking you so why do you feel the need to defend yourself?

I have clearly answered your question. VAT is not comparable to GST. GST is not comparable to anything - it is it's own entity.

Original Poster Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8606119

Your questions are loaded. And that is transparent. I'm not attacking … Your questions are loaded. And that is transparent. I'm not attacking you so why do you feel the need to defend yourself?I have clearly answered your question. VAT is not comparable to GST. GST is not comparable to anything - it is it's own entity.

you are off your nut.......

the question isnt "loaded" its questioning your previous statement ........also im hardly defending myself from you am i? im challenging your opinion on the subject which incidently you have chosen to ignore as you know you are wrong.......

typical egotistical tory pillock

youtube.com/wat…ZmM

JonnyTwoToes;8606119

Your questions are loaded. And that is transparent. I'm not attacking … Your questions are loaded. And that is transparent. I'm not attacking you so why do you feel the need to defend yourself?I have clearly answered your question. VAT is not comparable to GST. GST is not comparable to anything - it is it's own entity.

Take my advice and walk away from the forum thrush.:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

moob;8607447

Take my advice and walk away from the forum thrush.:thumbsup:

how old are you?

still calling people names from behind your computer screen:roll:

casparwhite;8607537

how old are you?still calling people names from behind your computer … how old are you?still calling people names from behind your computer screen:roll:

You're not adverse to a touch of name calling yourself.

Take a time out from being so hypocritical for once.:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

moob;8608364

You're not adverse to a touch of name calling yourself.Take a time out … You're not adverse to a touch of name calling yourself.Take a time out from being so hypocritical for once.:thumbsup:

ye who throws the first stone and all that jazz:thumbsup:

go be detective or something........prove me wrong

lol I know 'Mr Richardson' and find all this news quite funny....tbh I wouldnt break into a shop he was stood in and try telling him what to do....

casparwhite;8608439

ye who throws the first stone and all that jazz:thumbsup:go be detective … ye who throws the first stone and all that jazz:thumbsup:go be detective or something........prove me wrong

Why would I care enough to waste my time? :lol:

I actually think this man was a fool. By tackleing a armed robber he was not only putting his own life in danger but all others in the shop. If the robber had taken a random shot to scare this man away he could of taken out the staff member or another customer in the shop.

Original Poster Banned

moob;8608664

Why would I care enough to waste my time? :lol:

because you are still posting in a thread you are not interested in:roll:

Banned

Shellywelly;8608723

I actually think this man was a fool. By tackleing a armed robber he was … I actually think this man was a fool. By tackleing a armed robber he was not only putting his own life in danger but all others in the shop. If the robber had taken a random shot to scare this man away he could of taken out the staff member or another customer in the shop.

Its people like you that should be kicked out of our great country. Seriously....are you serious? You sound Belgian or French....which is it?

casparwhite;8608849

because you are still posting in a thread you are not interested in:roll:

Incorrect.

I'm posting in the thread because I know it's annoying you. Just like you do...all the time.

Original Poster Banned

moob;8609080

Incorrect. I'm posting in the thread because I know it's annoying you. … Incorrect. I'm posting in the thread because I know it's annoying you. Just like you do...all the time.

i love assumptions and wind up posts didnt you know.

i thrive on it, its my energy, its what makes me stronger......

at least have some substance, some venom......something..........anything.....but sadly no, in reality you have nothing:lazy:

casparwhite;8609181

i love assumptions and wind up posts didnt you know.i thrive on it, its … i love assumptions and wind up posts didnt you know.i thrive on it, its my energy, its what makes me stronger......at least have some substance, some venom......something..........anything.....but sadly no, in reality you have nothing:lazy:

Clearly not or you wouldn't be replying. Man, this is easy - I see why you do it now.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56530
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle56
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions