Artex nightmare!

Found 7th Oct 2013
My daughter has just moved unto her first house. Several rooms have artex ceilings and the dining room and kitchen have artex walls. Does anyone know of a quick way to get rid of it?
At the moment we're trying to sand it off. Please tell me there's an easier way!

Many thanks
Community Updates
Misc
31 Comments
Don't sand it, it could contain asbestos!
Banned
I would stop sanding unless you know it's asbestos free.
shouldnt this have been picked up in the pack before buying the gaff
As above you need to get it checked for asbestos, or the best option is to get it skimmed over.
Can't you just plaster over it?
How deep is the artex pattern?
306notout

As above you need to get it checked for asbestos, or the best option is … As above you need to get it checked for asbestos, or the best option is to get it skimmed over.

hmm how is he going to find out if it contains asbestos?
Glad you asked this OP, I just viewed a house with artex ceilings throughout (hideous, has to go!!).
I've heard plasterers hate having to 'fix' artex but I don't know how much it's going to cost, that's one of the things we've got to look into!
Plasterers aren't that expensive, if they can just skim the ceiling then they can get 2 or 3 rooms done in a day.
If op is scraping off the old artex then the ceilings will have to be replastered anyway.
I would budget a day rate of £150-£200 a day.

Scrap it off with the back of a garden rake. You will have to replaster but the plasterer will need to scrap it off first. It's a damn messy job but smooth ceilings will look a lot nicer. Or you could pull down the ceilings, new board and replaster, a lot easier but more expensive
Original Poster
The asbestos thing is a worry. Thanks for advice. Think we'd better get a plasterer in to be on the safe side. Yes we did we it before but unfortunately the house was one of only a handful in her price bracket.
should of purchased a green house
I really like artex ceilings, plane ceilings are horrid.
Original Poster
Thank you Whatsthepoint, we're going to investigate that. Do you know who sells it?
get urself some printed carpets and call urself retro
diy.com/nav…211

b&q sell an equivalent but for £30 for 4m2 it ain't going to be cheap
Get a quote from a plasterer. will cost more but will be a better result in the log run
Daytrader

I really like artex ceilings, plane ceilings are horrid.

What goes around comes around! lol
Artex is brilliant. Hides cracks, damp, comes in all sorts of swirly patterns, what's not to like about it?
CookinBat

hmm how is he going to find out if it contains asbestos?

in 20 years time, his doctor will tell him.
Mark2111

Artex is brilliant. Hides cracks, damp, comes in all sorts of swirly … Artex is brilliant. Hides cracks, damp, comes in all sorts of swirly patterns, what's not to like about it?

It's fugly.
Original Poster
It's norfolk and good!;)
used a wall paper stripper myself years ago, very hard work.Get a plasterer in, use one of the websites where they bid for the job(sorry cant remember what they are called) they are very competitive nowadays as there isn't that much work around. Quotes Ive had for jobs varied from £150 to £600 for the same job!! Check feedback and you will be surprised as there are a lot of decent guys out there as well as the sharks. Good luck
Original Poster
Many thanks t`old fart. We've got a local guy lined up to do the job at a very reasonable price.
The moral of this is never buy a house with loads of rated unless you are a plastered.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. Much appreciated.:p
If you're actually in Norfolk, I can recommend a couple of plasterers who have quoted for me.

Failing that, just use any of the tradesmen comparison sites.
Banned
Mark2111

Artex is brilliant. Hides cracks, damp, comes in all sorts of swirly … Artex is brilliant. Hides cracks, damp, comes in all sorts of swirly patterns, what's not to like about it?

I love cracks , especially the damp ones !
Had to sit on my hands to prevent me typing daughter jokes here.
splatsplatsplat

in 20 years time, his doctor will tell him.

There are plenty of companies who can come and take a sample to see if it contains asbestos.20 years later you don't want to die from it,its one of the worst things to die from ,don't sand it until you get it checked.
Original Poster
Sent a sample off today. Thanks writers21
13norfolk

Sent a sample off today. Thanks writers21

Nice one,hope it all gets sorted and not too expensive .
Original Poster
Email back to say asbestos free. Plasterer in tomorrow. Many thanks to everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants