Artex, scrape, plaster, reboard, other?

Found 12th Feb
Hello everyone, I fitted a wooden loft ladder yesterday and need to patch up where the old hatch was, all my ceilings are artexed and my hatred for it grew yesterday. Has anyone removed artex lately? I done it maybe 5 years ago using a steamer and scraper and it was a nightmare. Is there any product that I can apply to soften the artex to scrape or am i better off getting a plasterer in to skim it or even pulling the ceiling down and reboarding.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

I believe artex can be removed with a special laser type machine but its expensive. Scraping it off will be a complete nightmare, seems like having it covered over with skim could be one of the easiest options. I have been looking for a long time and there is no easy or cheap way.

If the original artex ceiling was done 20 years ago or more the chances are it will contain asbestos.

removed the ugly mess a few years ago with a wallpaper steamer and sharp scraper, messy but effective

I'm a artexer. Lol.. Well I was. Anyway. Is it an older ceiling. Pre 2000? Asbestos may be a worry, Get it skimmed is best bet.

I'm a artexer. Lol.. Well I was. Anyway. Is it an older ceiling. Pre 2000? Asbestos may be a worry, Get it skimmed is best bet.

Just get it skimmed over, provided the plasterer is ok you'll never know it wasn't flat to begin with...also I'm pretty sure asbestos was used in artex until 2003 so I personally wouldn't start chipping away. It's perfectly safe provided you don't mess with it and release the fibres.

If it's something like a stipple artex then just scrape the nibs off dry then you can give it 2 or 3 skims of artex depending if you can do that sort of thing or not. No need to steam it off .
Alternatively use easyfill instead of artex .
I've done this literally dozens of times and comes out looking as good as new plaster but i am in the trade so it may take extra skims if you are new to it.
Mkae sure you wear a mask and goggles for scraping though.
Or just get a plasterer in to skim it .
Many years ago i used do it without any mask or anything .
Low risk levels of asbestos in artex but i'll probably still be dead in a year or two !

Edited by: "apocalypsenow" 12th Feb

R0adRat

Just get it skimmed over, provided the plasterer is ok you'll never know … Just get it skimmed over, provided the plasterer is ok you'll never know it wasn't flat to begin with...also I'm pretty sure asbestos was used in artex until 2003 so I personally wouldn't start chipping away. It's perfectly safe provided you don't mess with it and release the fibres.

​Artex stopped using asbestos before 1990, I was told that by rep. The last asbestos I seen was in suretex brand in 1992ish. Still better to be safe than sorry

Original Poster

I've found a product called

X-TEX Water Based Textured Coatings Remover 2.5L

The description says

This product allows the safe removal of textured coatings such as Artex and polytex without causing dust from harmful fibres. Water based, non-irritant, no fumes, no need for ventilation. Will remove: 
• Bonded and non-boded textured coatings
• Painted wallpapers
• Textured paints

I might see what a plasterer will charge first and if it's too dear (if I can even find a reliable one) I'll give this a go.

yrs ago the best way of removing artex was using a steamer and an aluminium pan lid upside down , the type of lid that fits tight in the top of the inside rim of a pan , basically it was better than a scraper because it didnt stick into the artex and being an upside down lid it caught most of the pieces of broken artex inside the lid

I'm a plasterer/artexer. Asbestos stopped being used in artex around 82. If you should wish to remove the artex completely scrape the high points off with a scraper and then use a wallpaper stripper to soften the artex enough to be completely scraped off. From experience you never clean it off sufficiently to just paint the ceiling though. Instead you may find it easier and cheaper to get a plasterer in to unibond and skim it!!!

wayners

​Artex stopped using asbestos before 1990, I was told that by rep. The l … ​Artex stopped using asbestos before 1990, I was told that by rep. The last asbestos I seen was in suretex brand in 1992ish. Still better to be safe than sorry

​Ah ok, I'm just a Diy-er so didn't know for sure. I've just read it has been banned since 1999 so I anything after then you should be safe.

Move house, less work and probably cheaper.

A Steamer, a scraper, a tarp to catch the bits, and a bin with a binbag. My house was held together with the stuff, every room from top to bottom nearly; once you get the knack of how much time the steamer needs, it isnt so messy.

I know what I would do and it ain't scraping it off. X)

My kitchen had a heavy thick artex on walls and ceilings. I over-boarded mine as the ceilings and wall were not that good.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. clocks go Back weekend 28 October why not check and clean ur smoke alarm at…65262
    2. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz56
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…56119
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314659

See more discussions