Artifical grass.. yes or no?

Posted 14th Apr
Hi all. So I have 4 children at home who are spending more time in the garden. At the minute it's slabs. Id love to put some artificial grass down but my slabs are uneven. Can it still be done?or can you recommend anything else? I can't remove the slabs as I'm a private tenant
3441766-kJs0D.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Absolutely yes .

Family member had their back garden done , I was very sceptical . The result is fantastic , kids play all the year round and it looks brilliant .

Not a very scientific approach I know .
ajfrenchie20024276314/04/2020 20:08

Absolutely yes . Family member had their back garden done , I was very …Absolutely yes . Family member had their back garden done , I was very sceptical . The result is fantastic , kids play all the year round and it looks brilliant . Not a very scientific approach I know .

is it expensive?
I'm interested myself to have an artifical lawn, but only really want to go for a quality product, no point doing it too cheaply.

Are you thinking it will lay directly on your slabs? I'm pretty sure that won't happen, the slabs will be taken up and sand and weed membrane will be put down, so problally is your answer.

Also it's not cheap to do it properly, so as you are s tenant are you willing to lose that money if you move out? I know you could take it, but no guarantee that it will be big enough for a new place
Bob2460114/04/2020 20:10

I'm interested myself to have an artifical lawn, but only really want to …I'm interested myself to have an artifical lawn, but only really want to go for a quality product, no point doing it too cheaply.Are you thinking it will lay directly on your slabs? I'm pretty sure that won't happen, the slabs will be taken up and sand and weed membrane will be put down, so problally is your answer.Also it's not cheap to do it properly, so as you are s tenant are you willing to lose that money if you move out? I know you could take it, but no guarantee that it will be big enough for a new place

I was hoping to do it over the slabs.. Didn't realise i would have to take them out. Can you suggest anything else? I' was looking at bark but apparently cats like that as a litter tray so that's a big no no
Nally201914/04/2020 20:12

I was hoping to do it over the slabs.. Didn't realise i would have to take …I was hoping to do it over the slabs.. Didn't realise i would have to take them out. Can you suggest anything else? I' was looking at bark but apparently cats like that as a litter tray so that's a big no no

Just after googling it, you can install on slabs

lionlawns.co.uk/new…bs/

Sorry if I gave the wrong advice, personally I wouldn't do it just on slabs, but I guess your options are limited.
It shouldn't really be laid on slabs , the ground needs leveling with a crush n run .
Then sand then artificial turf .
Drainage would be awful if it was laid on slabs and water would stay under the turf and be squidy under foot .
Also wouldn't have the feel of turf if laid on slabs .
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 14th Apr
We’re having a 7m x 5m lawn returned tomorrow for just over £500 all in. With artificial grass that quote was just over £1100, so it’s a lot more expensive than real grass. Most of that is for the prep work on the ground apparently.

I wouldn’t want to lay it on slabs, it’ll ruck up, not drain properly and won’t feel anything like real grass.
I got artificial grass from the market few years back and it’s been amazing! I clean the grass every now and then as I have a dog but it’s so much better than real grass
In-laws have theirs on block paving and have had for 5 or more years, no issues whatsoever, no rucking, no issues with drainage and little maintenance. Google it it’s the best way of installing it flags, slabs concrete or other hard surfaces and recommend by the major companies.

Cakeboy7914/04/2020 21:07

We’re having a 7m x 5m lawn returned tomorrow for just over £500 all in. Wi …We’re having a 7m x 5m lawn returned tomorrow for just over £500 all in. With artificial grass that quote was just over £1100, so it’s a lot more expensive than real grass. Most of that is for the prep work on the ground apparently. I wouldn’t want to lay it on slabs, it’ll ruck up, not drain properly and won’t feel anything like real grass.

yozzman123414/04/2020 20:27

It shouldn't really be laid on slabs , the ground needs leveling with a …It shouldn't really be laid on slabs , the ground needs leveling with a crush n run .Then sand then artificial turf . Drainage would be awful if it was laid on slabs and water would stay under the turf and be squidy under foot .Also wouldn't have the feel of turf if laid on slabs .

Edited by: "eslick" 14th Apr
We had artificial grass installed about 5 years ago. We purchased from Great Grass who were just brilliant and so helpful. We went for the most luxurious we could afford and as they were out of stock of that we got upgraded free to the next one. It is definitely well worth it. We had it installed by a local person who prepped the ground first and it is laid on sand. No issues whatsoever even with our 3 children and dog. It drains quickly so no issues with heavy rain. We sweep it 5-6 times a year to keep it looking like new. I would definite recommend although can’t comment about laying it on slabs.
eslick14/04/2020 22:20

In-laws have theirs on block paving and have had for 5 or more years, no …In-laws have theirs on block paving and have had for 5 or more years, no issues whatsoever, no rucking, no issues with drainage and little maintenance. Google it it’s the best way of installing it and recommend by the major companies.

Block paving has excellent drainage. Flags don't.
You answered your own question.
yozzman123414/04/2020 22:31

Block paving has excellent drainage. Flags don't. You answered your own …Block paving has excellent drainage. Flags don't. You answered your own question.

I will change my original comment, should have said its recommended by the major companies on any flag stones, slabs, concrete.
eslick14/04/2020 22:34

I will change my original comment, should have said its recommended by the …I will change my original comment, should have said its recommended by the major companies on any flag stones, slabs, concrete.

If laying on flags , they recommend laying shock pad , its a rubber matting that gives a soft feel to foot so its similar to a real lawn .
Also to make sure water can drain .
Its not the recommended way .
But you can do that instead of ripping up the flags .
The PROFESSIONALS and top firms would put a sub base , sand and lay . Then you get your 25 year guarantee if using a top product .
yozzman123414/04/2020 22:43

If laying on flags , they recommend laying shock pad , its a rubber …If laying on flags , they recommend laying shock pad , its a rubber matting that gives a soft feel to foot so its similar to a real lawn . Also to make sure water can drain . Its not the recommended way . But you can do that instead of ripping up the flags .The PROFESSIONALS and top firms would put a sub base , sand and lay . Then you get your 25 year guarantee if using a top product .

Exactly
yes yes yes
I have done my hole garden if your slabs are a little uneven it will be fine if they are more uneven you will need to put down some sand to even it out a little make sure you buy the width you need and the length then all you do is unroll it like a huge rug . I did our 20 foot garden in it as it was always water logged and a pain to try and mow that was 8 years ago and it looks great all year while everyone else is mowing there lawn mine looks great and I have four kids and two big dogs playing on it and if they have a paddling pool it does not damage grass under it and floor get all muddy so no more muddy foot prints in the house 😁 have fun your kids will love it mine say it is the best thing I ever did for them .
Don't put it directly on paving. It will look soft but be rock hard and dangerous, especially if uneven slabs and your kids will end up in a&e
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions