Artificial Grass

Found 6th Jul
Hi guys,

Been thinking about laying Artificial Grass in my garden. My garden has very patchy grass and weedy, so it needs to go.

Anyway all the videos I've seen, they create a perimeter, sub-base, compact using compactor, sand, use compactor and so on...

My question what's the point of sub-base / sand? I don't want to raise the ground, can I not remove the patchy grass, apply weedkiller, lay weed membrane and then the artificial lawn over it?

My garden is pretty flat / levelled so wouldn't need much compacting really.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Drainage?
Artificial turf isn’t as ‘deep’ as say normal turf so chances are you’ll get puddles if there’s no sand level under it to take the water.
Why not just grow something in it ?
some easy to maintain lavender plants say that the bees will love
You could buy some really cheap grass seed from b&q a few quid a box,
with a gardening fork just rake along to lift the soil a little chuck the seeds liberally and and walk over it so its pressed in, and water regularly to start with, you might need to make a scarecrow at first, to keep the birds of the seeds, you'll get a great lawn for very little effort and not much money
Edited by: "sido" 6th Jul
buttonpushervic6th Jul

Drainage?Artificial turf isn’t as ‘deep’ as say normal turf so chances are …Drainage?Artificial turf isn’t as ‘deep’ as say normal turf so chances are you’ll get puddles if there’s no sand level under it to take the water.

Hmm. Surely it'll just seep into the ground no? I've still got soil in the garden.
Wongy1106th Jul

Why not just grow something in it ?some easy to maintain lavender plants …Why not just grow something in it ?some easy to maintain lavender plants say that the bees will love

Yeah, I'm planning to have a veg patch and some flowers on the edge. But still need to sort out the middle area.
sido6th Jul

You could buy some really cheap grass seed from b&q a few quid a box, with …You could buy some really cheap grass seed from b&q a few quid a box, with a gardening fork just rake along to lift the soil a little chuck the seeds liberally and and walk over it so its pressed in, and water regularly to start with, you might need to make a scarecrow at first, to keep the birds of the seeds, you'll get a great lawn for very little effort and not much money

I've considered that. Not great with keeping the lawn looking good. It used to be nice when we bought the house few years ago. Now it's just a mess. With Artificial Grass I can just forget about it.

On another note, you can get grass seed with bored deterent coating. Anyone tried that? Do they work?

For now I can go with you option and when I have funds i can get the Artificial Grass done by a pro.

Thanks.
laluuk2 h, 33 m ago

Hmm. Surely it'll just seep into the ground no? I've still got soil in the …Hmm. Surely it'll just seep into the ground no? I've still got soil in the garden.

If the soil is compacted enough to support the turf with no movement then the chances are it won’t drain very well... compacted sand, although firm, still allows drainage... you’ll also probably end up with muddy artificial grass if there’s a good downpour which kind of defeats the object of it.
buttonpushervic3 m ago

If the soil is compacted enough to support the turf with no movement then …If the soil is compacted enough to support the turf with no movement then the chances are it won’t drain very well... compacted sand, although firm, still allows drainage... you’ll also probably end up with muddy artificial grass if there’s a good downpour which kind of defeats the object of it.

I see. Guess I'll just have to save up then and get it done by a pro.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants