artist help

my 14 year old son is currently underway in his art GSCE coursework. he needs to know some famous artists who use a lot of tone in their work. any suggestions?

7 Comments

He needs to think outside the box and look at the new current artists who showcase around the Uk and Europe.

Pieces can be viewed here on ]POW and they link directly to the artists websites. I've bought a few signed prints from here and watched some triple in value.

Look at Banksy for example. And Mode 2 who I think is great.

Tone

Tone is shading, from dark to light.

Original Poster

he was looking more for classical artists but thanks anyway

Caravaggio was the king of tonal stuff - Chiarascuro as it is known in the Italian

Lots of 16th century Baroque stuff, I'd suggest he looks into some of that - its wonderful stuff.

Good luck!

MC Escher used a lot of tone in his artwork. Lots of black and white/illusion/mathematical art. Well worth a look, and i used his work in my GCSE Art exam! lol

Banksy is stencil/graffiti work, and not much tone to it?

Original Poster

thank you guys

For something more diturbing and likely to appeal to a 14 year old boy ( it did to me at that age) try H.R. Gieger.[URL="www.hrgiger.com"]www.hrgiger.com[/URL]http://www.hrgiger.com/images/spell1_40.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions