Groups

Asda apologises for dirty home delivery crates

Editor
    Missed the Watchdog special last night, anyone see it?

http://i.imgur.com/attA33j.jpg*

Asda has apologised and taken "immediate action" after a BBC investigation found crates used for its home delivery service were dirty.

BBC One's Watchdog programme carried out an undercover investigation after a whistleblower raised concerns. Tests of bacteria levels on crates from 10 different deliveries found that three were "equivalent to dirt levels of a kitchen floor". Two were "extremely dirty" - the same level as a kitchen bin.

The tests were undertaken by a government-accredited microbiology laboratory for the programme. One whistleblower sent Watchdog photos of mould and squashed fruit on the crates, adding that they were used to deliver food to nurseries and nursing homes. One customer showed the programme maggots she found in a cat food box from one Asda delivery.

A spokesman said: "Our customers expect and deserve the highest standard of service. We haven't lived up to this but our customers can trust us to take complaints seriously and do the right thing to resolve them.
    "Although some of our policies and procedures have not been followed in these six stores, we have taken immediate action to permanently improve standards across all our home shopping services."

The supermarket said it had ordered the deep cleaning of every home shopping crate and van, and briefing all Asda employees on cleaning and food safety rules.

*image/article credit BBC

10 Comments

Can they also ban kids from standing in the shopping trollies ? That's also disgusting.

All these things should be metal for a start, trolleys and baskets are unpleasant too but the plastic ones with the pull up handle for taking them walkies you see in morrisons are unacceptable.

Still people should disinfect all their shopping anyway

airfix

Can they also ban kids from standing in the shopping trollies ? That's … Can they also ban kids from standing in the shopping trollies ? That's also disgusting.

Wouldn't want the food that has travelled halfway around the world in multiple vehicles, been handled by hundreds of people and stored in filthy warehouses before being transferred in a lorry, put on shelves and touched by lots of customers to get dirty now would we.....

g8spur

Wouldn't want the food that has travelled halfway around the world in … Wouldn't want the food that has travelled halfway around the world in multiple vehicles, been handled by hundreds of people and stored in filthy warehouses before being transferred in a lorry, put on shelves and touched by lots of customers to get dirty now would we.....

I don't care, you could argue bus seats accommodate peoples' dirty smelly bums all day so why can't I put my dirty rotten shoes on them ? Well no you can't thank you very much!

Ocado avoid this issue by refunding your old bags on each delivery so you get your shopping delivered in bags each time without paying each time.

airfix

I don't care, you could argue bus seats accommodate peoples' dirty smelly … I don't care, you could argue bus seats accommodate peoples' dirty smelly bums all day so why can't I put my dirty rotten shoes on them ? Well no you can't thank you very much!

Thats because the mud will transfer to peoples clothes making them dirty and when out in public you can hardly just take them off and wash them. Think it through.

g8spur

Thats because the mud will transfer to peoples clothes making them dirty … Thats because the mud will transfer to peoples clothes making them dirty and when out in public you can hardly just take them off and wash them. Think it through.

I was thinking more about the possibility of dog crap from pavements, both on seats and on my food packaging . Think that through.

I quote from OP, "A spokesman said: "Our customers expect and deserve the highest standard of service. We haven't lived up to this but our customers can trust us to take complaints seriously and do the right thing to resolve them.
    "Although some of our policies and procedures have not been followed in these six stores, we have taken immediate action to permanently improve standards across all our home shopping services.".
    The spokesman is the spin doctor here. The problem is clearly not whether or not policies and procedures are followed. The criticial important point is WHO did and where were the supervision and maangement as clearly the dirt was not auto clean itself and would not be cleaned by a spokesman?

only if the customers apologise for their dirty paths and doorsteps that they put bags down on whilst fumbling around for their keys.

seriously, who complains abut mundane stuff like this?
    Edited by: "eset12345" 4th Nov 2016

where were the stores?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044563
      2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1817
      3. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410

See more discussions