Asda - application successful but they don't have a job for me

Found 27th Apr 2016
So, I went to their Asda Magic Event, after applying for an online shopper position. After a week, today, I get an email saying they want to offer me a position but they don't have anything suitable for my skills and requirements at the moment.

I find it hard to believe that since I pretty much told them I was willing to do any role and gave my availability as 24/7. Not joking.

Are they stringing me along? Do you think I should contact the store and query this response? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
how can they offer you a position if one doesnt currently exist? Just tell them you accept their offer and when do you start
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Apr 2016
I know, it's kind of absurd really but their email said the good news is that they want to offer me a position but the bad news is at the moment they don't have the right role for me. The status of my application on the Asda website says "assessment successful - waiting for right role".

I don't think it's to do with my requirements as I didn't have any special requirements!
Unfortunately Henry the trolley pusher has put back his retirement until after the warm summer weather, hence they don't have any suitable positions for you at this moment.
NEtech

Unfortunately Henry the trolley pusher has put back his retirement until … Unfortunately Henry the trolley pusher has put back his retirement until after the warm summer weather, hence they don't have any suitable positions for you at this moment.

You joke, but I need a job ASAP and this seems like they're taking the ****
Edited by moderator: "." 27th Apr 2016
Ah! The joys of HR, personnel and recruitment. Pound to a penny Asda have outsourced their recruitment function to a well meaning external company who have jumped the gun a little to get ahead of the game. As soon as a store shouts "we need extra staff and quick" they can come straight to you and hope you haven't found a job elsewhere in the meantime. The more people they can keep hanging on the easier and faster their job appears to be.
So, don't sit idly by hoping, just keep looking for another job. I hope you get sorted soon.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 27th Apr 2016
Just hang in there if you can but keep looking elsewhere. There should be plenty of
opportunities in the summer as staff take leave. If you get offered somewhere, take it.

Don't be too mad with them as you never know if you need them again in the future.
Get a friend to go to the store
- pick a fight with one of the staff
- get them fired
- job position open...

In seriousness, not much you can do until there is a position. Will probably be zero hours contract anyhow.
think of it as an opportunity to find something better. Every cloud ...
I used to work for ASDA pal - They did the same thing to me. However, i kept on ringing on a daily basis to show my "enthusiasm" so to speak. The thing is with that company they ALWAYS have positions unless you want a specific one.
I think I'd keep ringing, could be a test to see how much you really want to work there.
DennisDavid

I used to work for ASDA pal - They did the same thing to me. However, i … I used to work for ASDA pal - They did the same thing to me. However, i kept on ringing on a daily basis to show my "enthusiasm" so to speak. The thing is with that company they ALWAYS have positions unless you want a specific one.

I am gonna call a different store tomorrow as I see they are advertising vacancies in that store. I am hoping they will take into account the fact I passed their assessment already and ask me to go and see them for an interview but not holding my breath honestly. I am quite annoyed that they can't offer me anything seeing as I said I was available at all times all week and I said I was willing to cover pretty much all the roles they have. Just feels like I was a second choice and someone else got offered the job as a first choice. I spoke to the woman from the recruitment team who was at the Asda Magic Event and she said: "we didn't have 13 jobs"... meaning, I am on hold for now because evidently they gave the job to someone else and since I didn't completely suck they want to keep me available for something else.

I have an interview with another company on Friday so I am not just concentrated on Asda, but it bothers me that I passed an interview stage for once after months of job searching and rejections and still, I don't get the job.

Edited by: "mr_geese" 27th Apr 2016
I'd put asda behind me and move on - things happen or don't happen for a reason' stuff em and get onto tescos or morrys if supermarkets are what you want to do.
pennyfarthing88

I'd put asda behind me and move on - things happen or don't happen for a … I'd put asda behind me and move on - things happen or don't happen for a reason' stuff em and get onto tescos or morrys if supermarkets are what you want to do.

Yes, well I am not gonna be waiting for them to decide they want me. I am looking elsewhere but it's very disheartening as I am coming from months and months of looking for any job without success.

I am self-employed so I am getting by with that but I need something stable and it seems impossible really as I am struggling so much and I am not even fussy with what jobs I am willing to do.
mr_geese

Yes, well I am not gonna be waiting for them to decide they want me. I am … Yes, well I am not gonna be waiting for them to decide they want me. I am looking elsewhere but it's very disheartening as I am coming from months and months of looking for any job without success. I am self-employed so I am getting by with that but I need something stable and it seems impossible really as I am struggling so much and I am not even fussy with what jobs I am willing to do.

Well unfortunately the UK job market isn't great and hasn't been for years - it's not you it's the market!
Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll get there eventually.
pennyfarthing88

Well unfortunately the UK job market isn't great and hasn't been for … Well unfortunately the UK job market isn't great and hasn't been for years - it's not you it's the market!Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

Thanks!
Keep a record of who you apply to. Keep applying to other jobs while you wait. Speak to the manager?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants