ASDA Direct - Customer Service Nightmare

Found 4th Dec 2013
On the 17th April my partner pre-ordered the Playstation 4 through the Asda Direct website (order number: 10602635). This order was placed to guarantee Day 1, release day, delivery at the cost of £20.

On October 11th we received an email requesting us to confirm our package, finalise and pay for the order of the Playstation 4 (order number: 12985080). The Package we chose was the Playstation 4 500gb, plus Killzone: Shadow Fall, plus Camera, plus 2nd Dualshock 4 Controller. All was finalised for a Day 1 release for the Playstation 4.

It started on the 25th November we received an email stating that our £20 deposit would be delivered. On the same day we received an email that informed us to disregard the last email. At this point alarm bells started and I sent Asda an email to the customer services (Incident: 131125-002734). I never received a response to this email.

The following day on 26th November we received an email stating that our Playstation 4 order (order number:12985080) had left the warehouse. This being the correct details I thought the issues had been resolved therefore did not feel the need to contact Asda customer services again.

On the 28th November, the day before release date, we received an email stating that we would receive an email on the 29th November informing us of the delivery time. This being the case my partner took the day off work to accept delivery of the Playstation 4.

To my horror on the morning of 29th November we received the email stating that our order had been delayed by 4 days to 02nd December:

After Checking the tracking details, as per above, on the DPD website I noticed that it stated the Playstation 4 had be transported from Nottingham to London and was actually in London on the morning of the 29th November instead of where I live in Edinburgh.

I telephoned the Customer Service Team 08:00 on the 29th November to inform them of the issues I was having and to let them know at the earliest possible opportunity so Asda would have the opportunity to rectify and expedite the situation. Upon speaking to the Customer Service representative I informed them of the issues I was having and that I had tracked my parcel and it is in London and, I agree, mistakes can be made but I informed the customer service team that if it does not arrive today I would expect Asda to expedite the Playstation at Next Day delivery to arrive at the latest on the 30th November. The customer service representative put me on hold for a while and when she returned she informed me that the Playstation would definitely arrive on today on the 29th November. I informed her again of the parcel tracking information and she informed me to disregard that information at that the parcel would definitely arrive before 19:00. I asked her for confirmation by email as I could feel that your representative was trying to get me off the phone. As suspected the email never arrived. To confirm our conversation I sent an email to Customer Services upon ending the telephone conversation, highlighting all of my concerns (Incident number: 131129-000519). Again I have never received a response to this email concern. I then I informed my partner who was waiting in the house for the parcel, to wait in and that the parcel will definitely arrive.

Throughout the day I kept checking the tracking information and the parcel kept showing ‘in transit’.

At 14:50 after no change in status I decided to call Customer Services again to confirm delivery on the 29th November. After a lengthy telephone call with your representative, to my horror, she informed me that the Playstation would arrive on Monday 02nd December. After discussing the issues that DPD were having and the agreement of the pre-order she put me on hold and the telephone disconnected. I telephoned the Customer Services again and went through the same story and informed them that upon there instruction my Partner had been waiting at home, and taken the day of work, to receive this Playstation for my son. I informed the customer service representative that when there is a guaranteed delivery I would expect it to arrive and being informed at 14:50 in the afternoon is unacceptable. Also for an Item that was ordered in17th April, this is completely unacceptable and unreasonable. I asked the representative why a delivery would take an additional 4 days and, again, to my disgust she informed me that they did not work weekends. To choose a courier that does not work weekends for a guaranteed Friday delivery seems not only insane but disrespectful to the individual who has ordered the product. At this point I informed the Customer Service representative that not only did I have to telephone my partner and inform her that she had taken a day off work for nothing and that she would required additional time off the following Monday to accept delivery but I would also have to tell my 8 year old son that the gift that I promised him would not arrive and he would be without it for the weekend. After a long discussion with your customer service team I spoke to a supervisor who shared my disappointment, upset, grief and angst but she said all she could do was offer me a £10 voucher. I informed her that although I appreciate that is all she can do I would have to decline. She informed me that she would pass my complaint to upper management who would call me back. Again I am waiting for the telephone call. Its so disappointing how unimportant customer concerns are for personnel within the asda business.

On Friday I experienced one of my worst experiences dealing with a company and customer service team. I felt anxious, angry, disappointed, let down by Asda and even now cannot believe a company I have grown up with, in such a positive way, have let us down the way they did with experiences of the past week. I find it hard to believe that everytime Asda have promised a response to my concerns they have not responded.

To add to the above, this being after I have wrote the above, I have received my Playstation 4 at 12:00 on Monday 02nd December and the packaging and box looked as if they had been dropped and generally in bad condition. I removed the Playstation from its packaging and set it up only to find out that the playstation does not switch on. After an half an hour on the telephone to Sony they are to replace the console on Thursday 05th December. My nightmare goes on and I cant help feel that all this is because this unit has been in ‘transit’ for nearly a week. This is the icing on the cake as far as poor service goes.

Feel so let down by this whole situation.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
49 Comments

In before typical TLDR comments

<---

though surely you should be talking to asda not sony about the broken ps4?
Edited by: "brilly" 4th Dec 2013

The movie is coming out in the New Year.

Put this on Asdas facebook page and make the post viewable by all people. The only way companies listen nowadays.

Oh the horror!

First world problems...

I enjoyed the use of 'to my horror' and 'to my disgust'

by the time its all sorted, the price will have dropped after Christmas, early adopter issues

Still I had fun with Amazon last night, IQ levels are a below par pre-requisite for their customer services.
Edited by: "Alfonse" 4th Dec 2013

Creates an account on a forum to put this on. Can this not be defined as self promotion??? Surely this is gonna be the next best seller

Woah loads to read there - I think by sounds of it Asda you have your complaint with as it got damaged with couriers,they need to take it up with carrier. It's very good of Sony to replace and if it comes soon.

nemesiz

It's understandable you feel disappointed not receiving the PS4 on the … It's understandable you feel disappointed not receiving the PS4 on the release date, especially after paying £20 for the privilege, but you must realise that demand has outstripped supply. Even paying the extra money it doesn't guarantee (even though Asda wrongly promised) the right for the consumer to get the product on launch date, as too many factors can impinge on the delivery times. As an ex-sales person I find it incredulous, how sometimes consumers are demanding, expectant and rude not understanding that sometimes certain things are out of their hands. Yes you've the right to ask for your money back for the delivery, as it was late and a contract was signed by both parties, but please understand once the product was dispatched it was out of the hands of Asda, and DPD were expected to deliver the product in a fit and proper state. Unfortunately the couriers underestimated the logistics of the delivery of the PS4 on or before launch day.All owners of damaged PS4 and Xbox One consoles are being told to speak to Sony and Microsoft for certain repairs due to the speed and guarantee of response.PS. I hope the situation gets sorted satisfactorily, with a fully working PS4 but please understand you're one of the lucky people as thousands of parents and children will be disappointed unable to obtain, or simply afford to own a console for Christmas

What about the loss of a days holiday? Possibly 2 in this case?

Anytime I've had to deal with customer services of Asda its never been a great experience especially when I've used Asda direct so consider yourself lucky to get offered the £10 voucher I would have taken it and just not used them again although in saying that almost all companies I've had problems with orders for have been useless the only decent customer service I've had is from Tesco, John Lewis and a long time ago Amazon there customer service has since disappeared (well for me it has anyway.)

I love Asda's customer service - I got a PS4 for free as I didn't even order it.

It had some poor sod from Scotland's address on it but that was close enough for me

Banned

Welcome to Asda Directs wonderful interpretation of "customer service", your experience doesn't surprise me and I sympathize with you! Asda are generally useless!

Banned

Should of took the 10 voucher u could of had a drink while u wait

nemesiz

That is up to the consumer to make arrangements to receive packages, … That is up to the consumer to make arrangements to receive packages, including alternative options. If they want to take a couple of days off on the chance of the package being delivered, the consumer must realise the usual courier practises but also technological products being released on launch date with sufficient supply to satisfy consumer demands is unpractical and unrealistic.

Not really unrealistic is it, as a lot of retailers managed the process smoothly. It you cant deliver don't promise you can, just have in store pick up only.

nemesiz

That is up to the consumer to make arrangements to receive packages, … That is up to the consumer to make arrangements to receive packages, including alternative options. If they want to take a couple of days off on the chance of the package being delivered, the consumer must realise the usual courier practises but also technological products being released on launch date with sufficient supply to satisfy consumer demands is unpractical and unrealistic.

What an absolute load of BS. Sorry, but when companies have been taking pre-orders and guaranteeing day one stock then I think that the person should be compensated for taking time off work and their delivery not arriving.

This person seems to be fortunate that they have holidays which they can take and as such are getting paid for this. How about people who are self employed? If they don't work they don't get paid.

I totally disagree with your statement.

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments guys. Yep thats right 'to my horror and disgust' haha.

You know what ive had a nightmare weekend. The thing that upsets me the most is a company like Asda shouldnt enter into an agreement if they cant follow it through with success. Thats not really an excuse. If Asda take they order they take the responsibility for the product and see that it reaches it destination correctly.

I ordered mine on April 17th yet people who went at Midnight last Thursday were able to pick one up. So they have one not pre-ordered and I dont have one pre-ordered. I tried everything to get it right for my son and to no success. I suppose if you deal with cowboys you get a cowboy service.

Nice to see your enjoying my PS4 though @Towelie haha

Thanks for you comments though, my fingers are killing off typing that last message.....oh the horror lol!!!!!

Hopefully it will be replaced on Thursday and all will be good, although a week late.

Anyway I was thinking of writing a book on my problems and wondered if anyone would buy a copy!! lol

Cheers

Sebas111

What an absolute load of BS. Sorry, but when companies have been taking … What an absolute load of BS. Sorry, but when companies have been taking pre-orders and guaranteeing day one stock then I think that the person should be compensated for taking time off work and their delivery not arriving. This person seems to be fortunate that they have holidays which they can take and as such are getting paid for this. How about people who are self employed? If they don't work they don't get paid. I totally disagree with your statement.

wrong, you can't claim compensation for the original day of delivery only any following consequential loss can be claimed.

the law totally disagrees with your statement.

Alfonse

wrong, you can't claim compensation for the original day of delivery only … wrong, you can't claim compensation for the original day of delivery only any following consequential loss can be claimed.the law totally disagrees with your statement.

I know you cant claim compensation but you should be able to, companies have had plenty of time to sort logistics for this.

Don't want to get into an argument Alfonse, I seem to remember we agreed on something recently. Im not saying my statement was fact, just my opinion.

DPD do deliver on a Saturday. Asda told a porkie on that one

I had an issue with a delivery on Friday (driver was injured doing his route) and they were going to upgrade it to Saturday delivery for free.

I reckon they would have done the same for you too. If it happens again, Contact the courier first as they're usually more helpful.

Sebas111

I know you cant claim compensation but you should be able to, companies … I know you cant claim compensation but you should be able to, companies have had plenty of time to sort logistics for this. Don't want to get into an argument Alfonse, I seem to remember we agreed on something recently. Im not saying my statement was fact, just my opinion.

There are losses you can claim for sure, these situations are a pain I don't disagree, I don't bother waiting for deliveries any more, when its missed, I pick it up from the depot/post office at my convenience, although Amazon pick up point as proved useful recently.

In order to being HUKD in line with current affairs websites such as the Daily Mail Online, all forum threads on Misc that pertain to unsatisfactory customer services from retailers, must now be accompanied by sad face pictures.

Mark2111

In order to being HUKD in line with current affairs websites such as the … In order to being HUKD in line with current affairs websites such as the Daily Mail Online, all forum threads on Misc that pertain to unsatisfactory customer services from retailers, must now be accompanied by sad face pictures.

preferably, I use the facebook gorilla warfare tactics, post it their FB page and get all your friends to share and so on.

Alfonse

There are losses you can claim for sure, these situations are a pain I … There are losses you can claim for sure, these situations are a pain I don't disagree, I don't bother waiting for deliveries any more, when its missed, I pick it up from the depot/post office at my convenience, although Amazon pick up point as proved useful recently.

I agree, some of the courier companies do take the proverbial though.

Fair play Hezsy and hopefully you get a decent resolution.

Keep up the constructive criticism rather than just laying into them as it is a very valid point about pre ordering so far in advance only for people to walk up at midnight and buy one off the shelf.

Sorry I didn't read the OP as my lunch is only 45 mins but fingers crossed you get a resolution as after reading, it is well thought and and written well so hopefully Asda are decent enough to respond and tbh, I would be raging too if I had pre ordered and got nothing.

After a lengthy telephone call with your representative

Oh, so it's my fault now, is it?????

Towelie

I love Asda's customer service - I got a PS4 for free as I didn't even … I love Asda's customer service - I got a PS4 for free as I didn't even order it.It had some poor sod from Scotland's address on it but that was close enough for me

Oh yeah that was my fault, you see I work for the courier and delivered the ps4 parcel to the wrong address.
My boss wasn't very happy with me though and made me deliver the replacement to Edinburgh which really PiS*ed me off so I tied the parcel to the back of the van and dragged it along for the journey up there and then booted up the customers drive way.
It wasn't all bad though because the bird that answered the door invited me in and I gave her one on the kitchen counter.

Ohh I was just thinking about ordering a TV too! Hmm maybe having second thoughts now!

Banned

It's not really the end of the world though is it? Just accept that sometimes things go wrong and suck it up.

OP pre-ordered fun with a side order of hope, exclusivity and anticipation....received disappointment. Non-win.

I hope they give you some form of compensation but they should be dealing with the faulty unit I think, not Sony.

nemesiz

No just worked in jobs such as Computer Sales, and as a Sales Assistant … No just worked in jobs such as Computer Sales, and as a Sales Assistant in which paid way below the national minimum wage, having to work horrendous hours, being insulted, threatened by rude and ignorant customers and still having to be polite, courteous and professional. Remember sales people are human beings, and shouldn't be subjected to derogatory, or abusive behaviour especially at Christmas. If a person has a complaint, explain in detail, don't be rude, know your rights, but don't expect the unrealistic like I stated previously.

At no point have I condoned people being rude. I am a firm believer of speaking to people and dealing with people in the same manner I would expect people to speak to me. However, these are not sales people, they are customer service staff who should be doing their utmost to ensure customer satisfaction.

As previously said, the retailers have had plenty of time to ensure that this launch went smoothly. If there was insufficient stock then they should have stopped taking pre-orders. And I agree with the OP that where additional delivery costs have been incurred I would expect the carriers to work on weekends.

I have in the past waited in for a new mobile phone to be delivered. No delivery up until 5:30, I rung Vodafone who gave me the courier details. I called them to be told that the driver didn't have time to complete his round. I advised them I had paid to have my item delivered that day and insisted that they honour that contract. End result, my phone was brought to me by a nice taxi driver, at the cost of the courier.

Oh god, asda's online service is dreadful, they once messed up my partners order severly, cancelled several items and replaced the rest with more expensive items. (ended up paying more in delivery from the shop basically down the road, for 3 really expensive brands of booze we didn't want).

When we complained, they basically fobbed us off, was rude, still wanted to charge us delivery even with no notification they wouldn't be fuffilling 90% of our order. (the other 10% could of been carried in 2 hands). After requesting in writing our billing and account information be deleted within 45 days under data protection act, they promised it would (including their head of customer care). 3 months later we received personalised promotions to her email including some of the account details in the email, they then tried to claim they had deleted to details and it was just a general message they send out.

If partner is online she might pop in and explain in a bit more detail (rahsykins) but was literally worst service I've ever experienced online.

So your getting a ps4, long story short? Really although it's a pain in the ass you have had to wait, it's not the end of the world.
Post on their fb page, you might get a voucher or something, or a big hanky for your tears

Man buys killzone for 8 year old boy! If anybody wants me I'll be over at Daily Mail online.

spoke to a supervisor who shared my disappointment, upset, grief and angst

God help you if you ever have a real problem.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/271530/head-blown-off-o.gif

Should have took the £10 voucher and given it to someone on here, you would become a VIP

Completely different situation but I had my own little nightmare with asda recently...

Attended an interview to be one of their home shopping drivers, interview went really well, I had nothing but positive feedback from the guy who did my individual interview as well as the combined staff who monitored our group interview & put me through a couple of on-line tests. From there I was asked to attend a 'hands on' interview, where basically I'd go out for the day in one of their vans with one of their colleagues to see how I performed on the job. This had to take place at a different store though as the store I was applying to didn't actually have their home shopping department up & running.

So I turned up at the other store at the date & time given to me & reported to the customer service desk as instructed... who had absolutely no idea of who I was or any knowledge of why I was there, despite me explaining to them. They eventually sent me round to the employees entrance, where I had to buzz in & report to reception, and guess what, they had no idea who I was or why I was there either. So after a while of a quite uncomfortable waiting period in their reception, as you can imagine I was a bit put off by how I'd been received plus their receptionist seemed equally as put out by not knowing who I was, a guy eventually turned up & took me down to the home shopping department.

On the way down there he explained how the day would pan out, basically I was just to go out with one of their drivers on one of their routes, and I was given some paperwork with check lists & stuff I had to fill in as we proceeded. So they introduced me to the driver then basically just left me on my own with him, which would have been fine other than he just didn't seem interested in me being there. He barely went through the check list material etc before we set off, & insisted that I just sit in the van rather than help him load it or anything. He was the same when we got to our first few drops, insisting that I stay in the van whilst he saw to customers. Eventually I said to him, you know mate I'm meant to be here to learn about the job, I've got questions about it that I have to answer and at this rate I'm not going to be able to.

And then I learned the truth behind his sheepishness, he'd only been on the job 3 weeks himself, didn't really know what he was doing, told me they just threw him into the job without any real guidance, but hold him responsible for any mistakes etc so he was as nervous as f**k about cocking things up, and didn't really know whether or not he could teach me anything. At least that broke the ice between us, for the rest of the shift I helped him through the actual delivery process, and on the way back to the depot he helped me fill out the check list. It was still a load of b****cks like but at least when I got back to the store their feedback continued to be positive.They said I'd get a phone call on Saturday to let me know either way, however shook my hand and gave me a nice confident looking nod as the manager said 'either way'.

So I sat by the phone all day Saturday, wouldn't dare go out anywhere as my mobile can be unreliable when I'm out & about. I even missed our game versus Man Utd which I was meant to attend, in case I missed this phone call & got overlooked. No phone call came. Monday morning I sat rigid by the phone in the house, until finally by lunchtime I'd had enough so decided to contact them, as there were places I had to go & things I had to do which I couldn't whilst sat waiting by the phone. "Hi", said the manager, "listen I'm really sorry we haven't been in touch, the thing is there's so much to do, as we speak I'm sorting out shifts and hours for the lot of you, it's been really hectic as you can imagine so if you'd accept my apology, and I'll be back in touch once I have that information".

Great I thought, he's basically just told me that I've got the job hasn't he? He's sorting out my hours and shifts & then he's going to contact me with the finalised details. Yes!! I walked out the front door with a spring in my step, told a few people I bumped into that I'd landed myself a nice little job, buzzing! Got back in about 6 hours later, turned on my wi-fi and immediately got an e-mail notification on my phone, which turned out to be from asda, and started with the line 'we're sorry but your application hasn't been successful this time'...

I could not f**king believe it, especially when I noticed at what time the e-mail had been sent - exactly 1 minute after I'd made the call to asda, I know because I checked the call time on my phone. So this spineless git, who passes himself off as a manager, had conned me into thinking I had a job rather than just deliver the truth to me over the phone, the absolute ****. When I thought about that, plus the way the driver I'd gone out with spoke of asda & his ordeal with them, my eyes were opened up just a little bit as to how they really operate as a company, it's seemingly f**k all like the image they portray to the public anyway. I've never shopped there since, nor am I sure that I ever will again, honestly, what a set of t**ts!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions