ASDA Disc repair service

Found 28th May 2011
Hi I wanted to know if anyone on here has used Asda's disc repair service before? And Is it any good?
Community Updates
Misc
28 Comments
ive heard gud things about disc cleaning services generally, think theres a few places that do it.. but dependant upon what it was and what u paid for it id be tmepted to return straight away
Thanks for the reply, the ebay seller is willing to pay for the repair but is going on holiday for a few weeks and I would rather sort it asap, dont want to ask him or her to pay for it if the game still wont work after the repair.
id say...

its up to you, take the risk and repair it and take there money

or return it

i cannot see a happy ending if you risk taking the money for a repair, it doesnt work and then you want a refund...

and like i said if it was me it would be based on what id paid for it and what it was, jsut return it if you dont want the risk, its not as described, nothing lost
I would say send it back! Disk repair maybe fine for music CD, but for game data...... NO NO
Think about it, discs are full of data, if you make big scratch you have taken away some of that data, no way to repair.... As said a music cd maybe fine as a mili second is nothing more than a skip, but a data/game disc may freeze at a certain point unknown to you at first.
True you guys make some good points, might as well send it back not worth the risk. Thanks for all the advice its greatly appreciated.
ive had several discs cleaned by GAME and they have always run fine.

do you really think GAME would offer this service if it effected game play. its your call but i guarantee it will do no harm to the game itself.

good luck
Game are only cleaning your discs, think about it...... how can they possibly replace data removed by a scratch??? DangerGod please dont post unless you know what your talking about...
louise735

Game are only cleaning your discs, think about it...... how can they … Game are only cleaning your discs, think about it...... how can they possibly replace data removed by a scratch??? DangerGod please dont post unless you know what your talking about...

you think scratches on a game disc actually wipe off data? you are clueless.
louise735

Game are only cleaning your discs, think about it...... how can they … Game are only cleaning your discs, think about it...... how can they possibly replace data removed by a scratch??? DangerGod please dont post unless you know what your talking about...

would you like salt and vinegar on your extra large portion of FAIL?
DangerGod

you think scratches on a game disc actually wipe off data? you are … you think scratches on a game disc actually wipe off data? you are clueless.

Clueless?? How deep is the scratch? Have you heard a CD with scratches on it? Are you willing to put scratched discs in your console?
A scratched disc is only as deep as a piece of string is in length folks lol
If you accept scratched discs, then you are the one that is clueless LMAO....
louise735

Clueless?? How deep is the scratch? Have you heard a CD with scratches on … Clueless?? How deep is the scratch? Have you heard a CD with scratches on it? Are you willing to put scratched discs in your console? A scratched disc is only as deep as a piece of string is in length folks lolIf you accept scratched discs, then you are the one that is clueless LMAO....

Data is not even stored on the bottom of the disc.Put the wine and spade down and go to bed, you are starting to look really,REALLY stupid.
Just for clarification, how deep can scratch be??
DangerGod

Data is not even stored on the bottom of the disc.Put the wine and spade … Data is not even stored on the bottom of the disc.Put the wine and spade down and go to bed, you are starting to look really,REALLY stupid.

So you happily accept scratched discs, good for you...
Does that mean the rest of us shoud happily accept them?? NO it does not!
I am not stupid, i am realistic.
where did he say he happily accepts scratched discs? he said he has had discs cleaned by game

which drug are you taking tonight? or is it a mix? what ever it is, it appears to be awesome, let me in on your secret
louise735

So you happily accept scratched discs, good for you...Does that mean the … So you happily accept scratched discs, good for you...Does that mean the rest of us shoud happily accept them?? NO it does not!I am not stupid, i am realistic.

you what? when did i say i would accept a scratched disc? that wasn't even the debate. the argument was whether or not a scratch would remove data from a disc.

dataload

where did he say he happily accepts scratched discs? he said he has had … where did he say he happily accepts scratched discs? he said he has had discs cleaned by gamewhich drug are you taking tonight? or is it a mix? what ever it is, it appears to be awesome, let me in on your secret

Acid would be my guess. lol
dcx_badass

A disk scratch does not remove the data which is on the top foil, it … A disk scratch does not remove the data which is on the top foil, it scratches the plastic coating over it which refracts the laser, so they just smooth out the plastic.

If my dog was to scratch your face, it would do a lot more than take the 'foil' off your face!

I would like to trade in clean discs, if you think im wrong then you need to go have a good hard look at what your selling/trading........
Not feeding the trolls anymore, i thnk the majority like clean discs??????????
ps: heres one to mess with your head

since you compare a panda scratching you to a scratch on a disc, i'm using your logic here, explain this

if i run you over with a car, several times, you'll die
if i run you over with a toy car, (it's still running over with a car) several times, you wont die

how does that work??????????wtf????????????????

does the real car hurt you more than the toy car? just like a little scratch on a disc isn't as bad as a big panda scratching you????? i'm so confused.com?????????
Your typical scratch won't go right through the protective layer.

But carry on being stupid Louise
Removed all the name calling posts, you guys need to calm down. Remember there are rules on these forums.
Do those rules include pictures of Down syndrome babies?
Think and look before reply................
Does it work on PS3 games?

I am sure when I took some games to trade they said that PS3 games aren't successful when cleaned.
toothpaste
Data on a PC/XBOX/PS3 disc (any data disc) is only stored on a very fine foil on the disc. Most of the thickness of a disc is a clear layer of plastic. Nothing more. Then there is a very thin aluminium layer (the shiny bit beneath the plastic) and then a laquer layer on the very top (where the disc info and cover is printed)

See link
http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/2pr18mcjtayt9/2dzj4z/how-a-cd-rom-works.jpg

When a disc is scratched, the plastic is damaged causing the laser in the media player to refract

see http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=906&q=define%20refract&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

When light goes back to the sensor, it reads a binary 1, when it doesn't, it reads a binary 0.

See http://www.thefreedictionary.com/binary

That means the laser bounces off at an odd angle, it cannot be read properly. The light does not go back to the sensor and just reads 0000000000000000000000 which is not a legitimate binary code

When you take a disk into Game or Asda for repair, all they do is slice off a layer of that protective plastic. This makes that scratches shallower and less likely to read 000000

Some more expensive repairs actually fill the scratches in with a liquid plastic, The EXACT same as when you have a crack in your windscreen and they fill it with a resin.

And if a dog WAS to scratch dcx_badass's face, the surgeons actually remove layers of skin and muscle then repair it with other skin and muscle from the thigh. The same really.

Scratches on discs can be repaired temporarily with some rather odd methods - Toothpaste, Smooth Peanut Butter, Vaseline, extreme heat from a lamp and extreme cold from a freezer. The point is to stop the laser from being lost and returning 0000000

So overall, louise735, Google is a useful tool. Please check it before acting like you know something. Otherwise you just look stupid. It is completely fine to accept a scratched disc as long as the foil is undamaged (but unless the purchase and cleaning costs less than a better conditioned one, I wouldn't), and passive-aggressive threats of dog attacks are not needed.

The dog scenario didn't even make logical sense. If a disc scratches, we don't put it down

((My information come from my current profession designing Video Games and my past as a Agricultural Veterinary for many a year))
voxdea

Data on a PC/XBOX/PS3 disc (any data disc) is only stored on a very fine … Data on a PC/XBOX/PS3 disc (any data disc) is only stored on a very fine foil on the disc. Most of the thickness of a disc is a clear layer of plastic. Nothing more. Then there is a very thin aluminium layer (the shiny bit beneath the plastic) and then a laquer layer on the very top (where the disc info and cover is printed)See linkhttp://knol.google.com/k/-/-/2pr18mcjtayt9/2dzj4z/how-a-cd-rom-works.jpgWhen a disc is scratched, the plastic is damaged causing the laser in the media player to refractsee http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=906&q=define%20refract&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iwWhen light goes back to the sensor, it reads a binary 1, when it doesn't, it reads a binary 0. See http://www.thefreedictionary.com/binaryThat means the laser bounces off at an odd angle, it cannot be read properly. The light does not go back to the sensor and just reads 0000000000000000000000 which is not a legitimate binary codeWhen you take a disk into Game or Asda for repair, all they do is slice off a layer of that protective plastic. This makes that scratches shallower and less likely to read 000000Some more expensive repairs actually fill the scratches in with a liquid plastic, The EXACT same as when you have a crack in your windscreen and they fill it with a resin.And if a dog WAS to scratch dcx_badass's face, the surgeons actually remove layers of skin and muscle then repair it with other skin and muscle from the thigh. The same really.Scratches on discs can be repaired temporarily with some rather odd methods - Toothpaste, Smooth Peanut Butter, Vaseline, extreme heat from a lamp and extreme cold from a freezer. The point is to stop the laser from being lost and returning 0000000So overall, louise735, Google is a useful tool. Please check it before acting like you know something. Otherwise you just look stupid. It is completely fine to accept a scratched disc as long as the foil is undamaged (but unless the purchase and cleaning costs less than a better conditioned one, I wouldn't), and passive-aggressive threats of dog attacks are not needed. The dog scenario didn't even make logical sense. If a disc scratches, we don't put it down((My information come from my current profession designing Video Games and my past as a Agricultural Veterinary for many a year))

Maybe for you but not in any circumstance is a scratch welcomed (acceptable) (well except when you have a broken bone and a plastercast) Nor is it fine to accept anything in that condition when a scratch can and often does lead to a cyclic redundancy check / read error / corrupted data (when it cannot be read) or a failed servo due to overuse of having to lower the read speed and re focus the laser again /repeat many times to be able to read the data (even after a scraping (which I would also never use as the resonance of the disc's can be affected afterwards)

It should be pretty obvious that a disc in a clean and well looked after condition is preferable to looking like Torvill and Dean used it for a practice session.

Always look after your disc's
louise735

I would say send it back! Disk repair maybe fine for music CD, but for … I would say send it back! Disk repair maybe fine for music CD, but for game data...... NO NO Think about it, discs are full of data, if you make big scratch you have taken away some of that data, no way to repair.... As said a music cd maybe fine as a mili second is nothing more than a skip, but a data/game disc may freeze at a certain point unknown to you at first.

If you look at what Louise735 said. She means that on a CD a scratch is bad but better protected against loss of data, CIRC, ARQ, FEC and EFM, repetition code and that the consequence of the disc being in a really bad (damaged condition ) where none of the features of the drive and standards can correct this damage your songs may just jump / stutter etc. On a game though failing to read the correct data can be catastrophic e.g your game halts with a DDE or crashes with the Game code running from wrong / malformed, missing data meaning your game is simply unplayable at that or any given time when not running from the actual data it was meant to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants