Asda launches game to make it easier for children with autism to help out with the shopping

SuperEd 7
Found 12th Sep 2017
Good idea and now being rolled out to over 300 stores

From 11 September to 17 September, Asda stores will be holding awareness events to introduce the games and hand out Happy Little Helper packs to any parents who feel they might need help getting around the shop with their children.

The Happy Little Helpers initiative involves the launch of a child friendly shopping list, that turns helping out with the shopping into a game.

It’s the creation of Jenny Barnett, who has a five-year-old with autism, Charlie, and knows how difficult it can be to get through the weekly shop with him in tow.

The game works by encouraging kids to find items on the shopping list and pop them in the trolley, helping them to get involved and distracting them from any overwhelming stimuli.

2787813-Xfkv3.jpg
It’s made up of a little shopping list on a board, with velcro backed counters representing different items. Parents can select items they need and stick the counters on to the list.

Once each item has been added to the trolley, the parent then adds a smiley face next to that product. There’s also a star counter to represent a treat chosen by the child.

It’s a simple idea, but one that could help loads of parents to bring their children with them when shopping.

Source

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

Any idea of what stores are involved

Would be even better if they also signed up to National Autistic Society Autism Quiet Hour.

Its gone in nearly 400 stores its all stores with a community champion xx

As a mum to a girl with high functioning autism this has really ground my gears. 1: do they not think that parents of autistic children already do things like this to try and get through a shop anyway?? I print things off at home and take with me and it still isn't going to stop all sensory issues to crowds and noise because of concentration ect 2: because although my daughter is 14 her brain function is that of a 6 year old yet everything is *little* helpers and is obviously aimed at smaller children 3: I would be way more impressed if all these big supermarket chains put a few hours aside and had autism friendly shopping times so we don't have crowds or music playing at ten decibels or huge ques at checkouts!!!! Sorry to rant I realise this will work for some if not most but please can people start thinking of children who are older but still suffer from autism? 😊

Leigh.Morgan52 m ago

As a mum to a girl with high functioning autism this has really ground my …As a mum to a girl with high functioning autism this has really ground my gears. 1: do they not think that parents of autistic children already do things like this to try and get through a shop anyway?? I print things off at home and take with me and it still isn't going to stop all sensory issues to crowds and noise because of concentration ect 2: because although my daughter is 14 her brain function is that of a 6 year old yet everything is *little* helpers and is obviously aimed at smaller children 3: I would be way more impressed if all these big supermarket chains put a few hours aside and had autism friendly shopping times so we don't have crowds or music playing at ten decibels or huge ques at checkouts!!!! Sorry to rant I realise this will work for some if not most but please can people start thinking of children who are older but still suffer from autism? 😊

Just because they're older doesn't mean they're development has caught up yet though does it? Why get annoyed by it? they're trying to help people, are helping people and raising awareness. it's such a wide spectrum it's near impossible to accommodate for all affected by it.

As a father of an autistic child i get where you're coming from believe me I do, but they don't HAVE to do anything do they? The fact that they are is wonderful. So stop getting wound up and focus on the good of it. Lots of them already do have autism friendly shopping hours and lots of places especially asda are trialling it more and more.

It would be nice if they turned off or even made the till noises quieter , the noise of the tills cam be heard by me right at the back of the stores.
And if they need shoppers music make that background noise .
But hey it is better they are joining in
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions