Expired

Asda online grocery shopping charged me higher price than stated on website, is that right?

Found 28th Jun 2011
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with Asda's online grocery shopping as I was shocked by their response to my complaint.

I ordered a packet of peanut for £1.00 as part of my grocery order to be delivered in a few days, when I received the delivery I read through my receipt thoroughly and spotted that they had actually charged me £1.10 for the peanuts, when I called to complain, I was told that the T&Cs stated that the price I would be charged is the price at the time of delivery and not at the time of ordering, and hence I was refused a refund. Its now more a case of the principle than the 10p hike as I feel that I can't use Asda again knowing that they can increase their prices just like that without warning and there is no way to get a refund once that happens.

I know that all the order online stores like Ocado, Tesco & Sainsbury all honour the price you pay at the time of ordering. Tesco are notorious at charging a different price to the one you ordered so I have complained to them many times but each time they have always refunded me with no hassle!!!

Is what Asda is doing right? is this the norm? as I have only ever ordered twice from them.
Community Updates
50 Comments
Mod & Ed
Op after a celeb badge?
Yes it’s the norm with Asda, happened to me with a BOGOF offer which had ended the day before my delivery was due. I would perhaps complain again and threaten to take your business elsewhere, that might make them give you a refund but for 10p I don’t think it’s worth it, you’ll probably spend more than that in the cost of phonecalls alone.
'I feel that I can't use Asda again knowing that they can increase their prices just like that without warning and there is no way to get a refund once that happens.'....FOR 10P!!!!!!!!! You pay whatever the price is on the day of delivery. So glad I dont work for asda customer services...I couldn't handle calls like this.
Just order the night before you want it delivering & check the expiry date of any offers, its printed in the description.
this thread is about complaining to get back 10p amirite?

I was told that the T&Cs stated that the price I would be charged is the … I was told that the T&Cs stated that the price I would be charged is the price at the time of delivery and not at the time of ordering, and hence I was refused a refund

As above, same with all the big supermarkets online I believe. I would imagine you could still return the item (not sure if you could take it to a store) and get a full refund.
Banned
I know that all the order online stores like Ocado, Tesco & Sainsbury all honour the price you pay at the time of ordering

Tescos are the same as ASDA and I suspect Sainsburys & Ocado are the same

lol at ringing up for 10p!
Banned
danmc

Just order the night before you want it delivering & check the expiry … Just order the night before you want it delivering & check the expiry date of any offers, its printed in the description.

true but prices could still change on the day they pick the items

I always check my guide price vs the actual bill and dont worry if its within 5% on the day of the delivery

lifes too short (not for the OP I guess)
Banned
Seriously? 10p? You spent more on the phone call complaining you idiot
You agree to accept the terms and conditions when you order. It's YOUR fault for agreeing to them and not checking the date offers expire. All this flapping for 10p is ridiculous.
Maybe we should have a whip-round for the OP?
Tesco honour pricing at time of ordering.
Original Poster
No no its not about the 10p, more the fact that they charged a different price, was surprised as with all the other big stores, they gave me refunds straight away if the price differed, whether it was by £2 or 10p.

As I realise from the thread that this is norm with Asda I'll just not shop with them again. Not a fan of ordering the night before as I don't always get the delivery spot I need.

Question answered, thanks everyone - I'll stick with Tesco
Bully

From the mouth of the horse itself --

What is the guide price?The guide price is what we estimate your order … What is the guide price?The guide price is what we estimate your order will come to when we do your shopping. You may find that your final bill is slightly different from the guide price.So why is the guide price different to my final bill?The guide price is based on today's prices instore. But we shop for your order on the day you want it delivered, just as though you were shopping yourself. The final bill can vary because:The guide price uses an estimated weight for weighed items like grapes and cheese. But what you pay will use the exact weightThe guide price doesn't include all promotion and offer discounts. But what you pay will include all the promotions and offers that are valid on that day, including any new offers that applyThe guide price is based on the prices in-store today. But what you pay is the price in-store on the day of delivery and some prices may have changed.If we have to substitute any item you'll be charged the price for the substitute instead.If the final price charged for any item is more than you wanted to pay or you are unhappy with the substituted item, you can return it and we'll give you a full refund. Just give it back to the driver and we'll take care of it for you.

Edited by: "thrustmaster" 28th Jun 2011
This thread makes the bank one pale to insignificance X)
Banned
Nigella Awesome

No no its not about the 10p, more the fact that they charged a different … No no its not about the 10p, more the fact that they charged a different price, was surprised as with all the other big stores, they gave me refunds straight away if the price differed, whether it was by £2 or 10p.As I realise from the thread that this is norm with Asda I'll just not shop with them again. Not a fan of ordering the night before as I don't always get the delivery spot I need.Question answered, thanks everyone - I'll stick with Tesco

they shouldnt have done as they operate the same as Asda
Sloth/Mod
Bully

No, they charge the instore price at the time they do you shop as well.
Banned
Bully

more of your usual misinformation I see!
Mod & Ed
only another 81 posts to go
Banned
Bully

What is the guide price?The guide price is what we estimate your order … What is the guide price?The guide price is what we estimate your order will come to when we do your shopping. You may find that your final bill is slightly different from the guide price.So why is the guide price different to my final bill?The guide price is based on today's prices instore. But we shop for your order on the day you want it delivered, just as though you were shopping yourself. The final bill can vary because:The guide price uses an estimated weight for weighed items like grapes and cheese. But what you pay will use the exact weightThe guide price doesn't include all promotion and offer discounts. But what you pay will include all the promotions and offers that are valid on that day, including any new offers that applyThe guide price is based on the prices in-store today. But what you pay is the price in-store on the day of delivery and some prices may have changed.If we have to substitute any item you'll be charged the price for the substitute instead.If the final price charged for any item is more than you wanted to pay or you are unhappy with the substituted item, you can return it and we'll give you a full refund. Just give it back to the driver and we'll take care of it for you.

exactly!

sainsburys is the same

2.1 The prices shown on this Website at the time of ordering are guide prices. They are the in-store selling prices that day at the store at which your goods will be selected. The prices you will be charged for goods will be the actual prices displayed in that store on the day of delivery, including any promotional offers if applicable. You accept that prices of goods may, therefore, increase or decrease between the day of ordering and the day of delivery.
We could pick on any grammar issues X)
Original Poster
Maybe I was lucky every time but Tesco always seem to refund me any price differences to what is stated at the time of ordering (unless weighted item).

The only problem (regarding Asda) with:
If the final price charged for any item is more than you wanted to pay or you are unhappy with the substituted item, you can return it and we'll give you a full refund. Just give it back to the driver and we'll take care of it for you.

Is:
The driver doesn't have the patience to hang around while I check my receipt against the ordered price and by the time I've spotted the price hike its too much hassle to physically return the product to the store for a refund.
I tend to find that most products prices will stay the same when I order, however some go up a couple of pence and some will come down a couple of pence. I'll only say something if the pricing is way off and even if something has gone up a lot, the Tesco delivery team are pretty good and tell me when they deliver and ask if I want it or not. I've even had some steaks delivered when the price went right up, the delivery person said straight away that it wasn't fair and changed the price to 0p for me! Apparently it was because by the time he had done all the other deliveries, they wouldn't be able to go in the store so I may as well enjoy them. Sometimes a thanks and general politeness to certain delivery staff (obviously excluding most parcel companies) goes a long way
Nigella Awesome

Maybe I was lucky every time but Tesco always seem to refund me any price … Maybe I was lucky every time but Tesco always seem to refund me any price differences to what is stated at the time of ordering (unless weighted item).The only problem (regarding Asda) with:If the final price charged for any item is more than you wanted to pay or you are unhappy with the substituted item, you can return it and we'll give you a full refund. Just give it back to the driver and we'll take care of it for you.Is:The driver doesn't have the patience to hang around while I check my receipt against the ordered price and by the time I've spotted the price hike its too much hassle to physically return the product to the store for a refund.

I've had the second problem before with Tesco, phoned them up and they told me to keep the item and they refunded it. I don't have any problems with Tesco delivery (though I don't work for them, have shares or similar interests) and find they are generally very helpful. If you don't like Asda, then vote with your feet, same as you would with your phone company or your elecricity supplier.
Original Poster
OK, hands up I should have read the T&Cs so guess I got away with getting refunds from all the other stores

If they're willing to give the refunds then its their mistake and Asda by refusing are just following the rules

by the time I've spotted the price hike its too much hassle to physically … by the time I've spotted the price hike its too much hassle to physically return the product to the store for a refund

It's too much hassle to drive to the store to get your 10p back??? I'd be down there like a shot!
weather is 10p or £10, op is saying its the principal of the matter, not the value of the overcharge!!
deleted55054
The ones I hate are the rollbacks, there's no date for when the rollback will end. I've ordered head and shoulders before and they were reduced to half the price so had ordered about 8 bottles to shove in the cupboard, and the rollback had finished on the day of ordering so I was charged a lot!
AATS

weather is 10p or £10, op is saying its the principal of the matter, not … weather is 10p or £10, op is saying its the principal of the matter, not the value of the overcharge!!

True however the t&c's are stated regarding this when ordering.
midjet666

The ones I hate are the rollbacks, there's no date for when the rollback … The ones I hate are the rollbacks, there's no date for when the rollback will end. I've ordered head and shoulders before and they were reduced to half the price so had ordered about 8 bottles to shove in the cupboard, and the rollback had finished on the day of ordering so I was charged a lot!

Thats not very good of them, Tesco do say when offers end on their website.

I know that all the order online stores like Ocado, Tesco & Sainsbury all … I know that all the order online stores like Ocado, Tesco & Sainsbury all honour the price you pay at the time of ordering

* Why might the guide price be different to my final bill?
The guide price is based on today's prices instore. However as we shop for your order on the day you want it delivered, some of the prices may have changed.
The guide price uses an estimated weight for weighed items like grapes and cheese. But what you pay will use the exact weight, so the price may vary slightly.

^ That's off a confirmation e-mail from a TESCO delivery.
also LOL at this thread.
cis_groupie

Maybe we should have a whip-round for the OP?

it'll cost three times as much to post, never mind collect it all in! ;-) And PP will take 4% as a fee if you're sending it that way!
I was woried that you might have heart-attack,when you said you were shocked.
I would eat your peanut and take the packet back for a refund telling them there should surely be more than 1 in the packet
deb8z

This thread makes the bank one pale to insignificance X)

I don't know - didn't that dippy bint go from screaming at some bottom-level worker over something they couldn't possibly do anything about to crying floods of real tears, while holding up a queue and wasting the time of about half a dozen people, for the sake of 35 measily pence?
Banned
AATS

weather is 10p or £10, op is saying its the principal of the matter, not … weather is 10p or £10, op is saying its the principal of the matter, not the value of the overcharge!!

and the principal of the matter is always read the T&Cs!

anyway, we're all missing the main problem with ASDA deliveries and that is they are useless at fulfilling a large order (my last order had 20+ items not delivered / wrong). Havent been back since.
midjet666

The ones I hate are the rollbacks, there's no date for when the rollback … The ones I hate are the rollbacks, there's no date for when the rollback will end. I've ordered head and shoulders before and they were reduced to half the price so had ordered about 8 bottles to shove in the cupboard, and the rollback had finished on the day of ordering so I was charged a lot!

On the plus side - at least your dandruff is under control!!!
I was overcharged £8 due to promotions coming to an end, and to get a refund I have to take the goods back. At least Tesco tell you, when you check out, whether promotions will end by the delivery date.
If the price had gone down by 10p between when you ordered and when it was picked.. would you be spending time and effort complaining that you should be paying the higher price?
is not about 10p guys is about what they doing. I have placed my order night before delivery and i have been overcharged £7!!!!
They charged me full prices for all offers and its not first time! Its ok one off but not if its happened few times.....Honestly I get so upset
Just wont shop with them again...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions