Expired

Asda Opticians

Found 3rd May 2014
Hi Guys. Hope someone can advise. Today my friend went to Asda for an eye test. She is entitled to free test and lenses. After the test she asked if they could put the new lenses in her own frames and was told that it would still cost the same,( £50 for 1 pair or £80 for 2 pairs). Can this be right ? Surely she should be able to get the lenses put in for a smaller amount. Many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I would say it is probably good of them to be able to do it in the first place, they could have just said no. It's also probably not cost affective taking their standardised lenses and sticking them in a random glasses frame, would be much easier to just do what they normally do.

You can get frames for very very cheap online, so not much of their costs are going there.
I have also had this problem-it actually worked out the same to just get the same frame (but new). I guess their policies are there to ensure specific profit margins (?)
Original Poster
Thanks Midurix & Mermoo.

Original Poster
MIDURIX

I would say it is probably good of them to be able to do it in the first … I would say it is probably good of them to be able to do it in the first place, they could have just said no. It's also probably not cost affective taking their standardised lenses and sticking them in a random glasses frame, would be much easier to just do what they normally do.You can get frames for very very cheap online, so not much of their costs are going there.

Still a bit confused about this. The voucher she gets from NHS is Band A which is £38.50. She needed 2 pairs, distance and reading so entitled to 2 vouchers = £77.00. So how can they charge her £80 and claim £77 from NHS ?
Just so you know for future reference OP, putting new lenses in existing frames is called 'reglazing'.
Original Poster
Transformers

Just so you know for future reference OP, putting new lenses in existing … Just so you know for future reference OP, putting new lenses in existing frames is called 'reglazing'.

Thanks Transformers
nandito39

Still a bit confused about this. The voucher she gets from NHS is Band A … Still a bit confused about this. The voucher she gets from NHS is Band A which is £38.50. She needed 2 pairs, distance and reading so entitled to 2 vouchers = £77.00. So how can they charge her £80 and claim £77 from NHS ?

so are Asda actually charging your friend £80 - or does said friend pay nothing or the difference (£3)

EliTom
reglazemyglasses.com/

This link sound like its just what you need, I Found this on another money saving website - you can replace the lenses on any glasses, from £10+ depending on prescription.

If you're happy with your frames but your lenses are damaged or your prescription's changed, you can send your specs to ReglazeMyGlasses* to get your lenses replaced.
The price you'll pay depends on which lenses you have (standard 1.5 index starts from £19.90), but we’ve blagged a code to get £10 off your order bringing the basic 1.5 lenses down to £10.

Here's how to get it
Ask for the free ReglazeMyGlasses pack and enter the code MSEFEB£10 to get £10 off your total order. You must order your pack by Sat 31 May, for new and existing users.
Post your glasses in (max two pairs) and once it's received them, ReglazeMyGlasses will call you to discuss lenses suitability.

You only pay if you then decide to use it. We ran a deal before and feedback is good – see the Glasses feedback discussion.

The code's valid on all lenses such as bifocals, varifocals, tinted and polarised lenses (See the full price list). The normal price for standard 1.5 index glasses is £19.90 so, if you go for the most basic lenses, you'll pay £9.90. It's worth noting, the code takes £10 off per order, not per pair, so if you do send off two pairs, only £10 will come off your total.

Standard delivery’s free (allow 10 working days for your order). There are more expensive delivery options which include insurance - if you have pricier frames, this might be worth considering as you're relying on Royal Mail to ensure you get your frames back in one piece.

It's one per person and it can't be used with any other offer.
Original Poster
elitom

so are Asda actually charging your friend £80 - or does said friend pay … so are Asda actually charging your friend £80 - or does said friend pay nothing or the difference (£3)EliTom

The lady just said it would cost the same, so my friend said she would think about it and left.
Original Poster
Sandy1012

http://www.reglazemyglasses.com/ This link sound like its just what you … http://www.reglazemyglasses.com/ This link sound like its just what you need, I Found this on another money saving website - you can replace the lenses on any glasses, from £10+ depending on prescription.If you're happy with your frames but your lenses are damaged or your prescription's changed, you can send your specs to ReglazeMyGlasses* to get your lenses replaced.The price you'll pay depends on which lenses you have (standard 1.5 index starts from £19.90), but we’ve blagged a code to get £10 off your order bringing the basic 1.5 lenses down to £10.Here's how to get it Ask for the free ReglazeMyGlasses pack and enter the code MSEFEB£10 to get £10 off your total order. You must order your pack by Sat 31 May, for new and existing users. Post your glasses in (max two pairs) and once it's received them, ReglazeMyGlasses will call you to discuss lenses suitability. You only pay if you then decide to use it. We ran a deal before and feedback is good – see the Glasses feedback discussion. The code's valid on all lenses such as bifocals, varifocals, tinted and polarised lenses (See the full price list). The normal price for standard 1.5 index glasses is £19.90 so, if you go for the most basic lenses, you'll pay £9.90. It's worth noting, the code takes £10 off per order, not per pair, so if you do send off two pairs, only £10 will come off your total. Standard delivery’s free (allow 10 working days for your order). There are more expensive delivery options which include insurance - if you have pricier frames, this might be worth considering as you're relying on Royal Mail to ensure you get your frames back in one piece. It's one per person and it can't be used with any other offer.

Thanks. Will pass this info on to her.
nandito39

Thanks Transformers

You're welcome.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions