Asda Opticians won't give me my pupillary distance

Found 26th Nov 2015
I collected my glasses prescription from Asda in Bristol Cribbs Causeway today and when I asked if I could have the pupil distance the lady told me I wasn't allowed to have it. I told her that my partner was given theirs last year and the lady said that she can't give me it because of some sort of law. I want to buy some new glasses from glasses direct and I'm worried if I measure my pupils myself I might get it wrong. Has anyone ever heard of this law or was the lady at Asda clueless? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

NHS site says:-
An optician is not required by law to include details of the horizontal distance between your pupils (the inter-pupillary distance) in your optical prescription.
The responsibility for ensuring that your lenses are properly centred in your frames lies with the person dispensing your glasses (dispensing optician) and any provider of glasses, whether shop or internet based, should have arrangements in place to be able to satisfy this requirement.
It would be inappropriate for a person not supplying your glasses to be held responsible for this measurement.

Have a look here for what seems like a pretty accurate way to measure:-

tescoopticians.com/hel…PD/

Original Poster

Thank you momartin. Hopefully I'll be able to measure them properly.

You, like me, bought glasses off Asda. I asked for the pupillary distance and when I got resistance I highlighted to them the fact that they had already measured it and they must have a record of it. They gave it to me. I would go back again and ask. I really disn't want to do it myself.

Original Poster

Thanks anthony401. I feel the same as you, they've already got it so what's the harm in giving it to me.

mackenzie

Thanks anthony401. I feel the same as you, they've already got it so … Thanks anthony401. I feel the same as you, they've already got it so what's the harm in giving it to me.

They are losing business by giving it , and know it
So its not in their commercial interests
There's no law stopping them, but none forcing them to either

You can get special free rulers to guide it Mitsui I think was the company that offered them

Original Poster

Thanks Chocci. I'll give that one a go. Thanks mrwhitelabel, I can understand that but they haven't got a great selection to choose from that's why I went to glasses direct, that and the 2 for 1 with 50% off it was a no brainer.

stingy asda

mackenzie

Thanks Chocci. I'll give that one a go. Thanks mrwhitelabel, I can … Thanks Chocci. I'll give that one a go. Thanks mrwhitelabel, I can understand that but they haven't got a great selection to choose from that's why I went to glasses direct, that and the 2 for 1 with 50% off it was a no brainer.

Got my new two pairs from glasses direct last week for £17 delivered. Amazing price and their try before you buy service is genius (free trial of up to 4 pairs and free returns).
Edited by: "chocci" 26th Nov 2015

Specsavers did the same with me, they gave me it in the end

When I've brought glasses online I just use the average pupil distance. Shouldn't think it would make a huge difference.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to measure the distance and it was 60. I did read that it can cause eye strain if the measurement isn't very accurate.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions