Expired

Asda overcharging policy (instore)

Found 22nd Sep 2013
This isn't actually a deal and may well be moved elsewhere but I thought it was the best place for people to seee it.

Asda's policy if you are overcharged for any individual item is to refund the amount overcharged and ALSO to give a £2 gift card. This applies to each item but not multiples; i.e. if you bought 2 loaves of bread which were priced at £1 but charged at £1.50 your 50p x 2 would be refunded and you would receive one £2 gift card.
If you bought a loaf of bread and were overcharged and also bought a carton of milk which was overcharged you would receive the overcharge back plus 2 x £2 giftcard.
Some of their stores don't even know about this policy and I was also told on one occasion that it only applies to large stores. It doesn't - it apllies to ALL stores.
It pays to check your receipt every time - so far this year I have over £60 in gift cards for overcharges......I have now amalgamated them all onto one card and it will be handy for Xmas!

1. Misc
  2. Charger
64 Comments

Banned

too complicated.

Banned

so how many loaves of bread and pints of milk do I need to buy to make £60?
Edited by: "ewwaxo" 22nd Sep 2013

ewwaxo

too complicated.

If your over charged, take your reciept to customer service and ypu.get a refund and £2 gift card

Original Poster

My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 each or 2 for £1". I obviusly bought 2 and was charged £4. Complained to cutomer servoices where they confirmed that the "2 for£1" card had been displayed in error. £3 refunded and then given a £2 giftcard, so Asda actually PAID me £1 to take 2 oven trays!
Worcester sauce recently was priced at £2 on SEL but charged £2.20. 20p refunded and £2 card received. Next day used card to buy another bottle....still charged £2.20 so refunded and card given again. Third day the same! 3 bottles....£6.60 paid in total, 60p refunded plus £6 giftcards given....bottles were free in the end!

Original Poster

ed1980

If your over charged, take your reciept to customer service and ypu.get a … If your over charged, take your reciept to customer service and ypu.get a refund and £2 gift card

The point I was making is that it applies to each item but not multiples; even the stores are a bit hazy on that one so I was giving examples. Nothing complicated!

I you scottish by any chance Lou?

(not just the username giving it away btw )

Banned

Lou Scotland

My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 each … My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 each or 2 for £1". I obviusly bought 2 and was charged £4. Complained to cutomer servoices where they confirmed that the "2 for£1" card had been displayed in error. £3 refunded and then given a £2 giftcard, so Asda actually PAID me £1 to take 2 oven trays!Worcester sauce recently was priced at £2 on SEL but charged £2.20. 20p refunded and £2 card received. Next day used card to buy another bottle....still charged £2.20 so refunded and card given again. Third day the same! 3 bottles....£6.60 paid in total, 60p refunded plus £6 giftcards given....bottles were free in the end!

aeeerrreergh. stop !!!

Banned

bloody Asda.

they flumped me off last time trying to charge me £10 for JVC headphones that were in a £5 sale box.

Scanned at £10, I said they were £5, assistant came, taking ages to come back saying they were £10 ( went to normal electrical section where still marked £10).

Being a skilled HUKD ninja, I bloody knew they were £5, but they were trying to make me at fault. so I left it.

Raging, I went back and scanned the headphones at self checkout and they were £5, but had a tag on it and I was in a rush, **** off and left.

The things you will do to save £5.

It was Asda Govan by the way.

Scammers.

So yeah, this deal is clearly not for me!
Edited by: "ewwaxo" 22nd Sep 2013

I wasn't aware of this policy, so thanks very much for sharing Lou Scotland.

Lou Scotland

My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 each … My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 each or 2 for £1". I obviusly bought 2 and was charged £4. Complained to cutomer servoices where they confirmed that the "2 for£1" card had been displayed in error. £3 refunded and then given a £2 giftcard, so Asda actually PAID me £1 to take 2 oven trays!Worcester sauce recently was priced at £2 on SEL but charged £2.20. 20p refunded and £2 card received. Next day used card to buy another bottle....still charged £2.20 so refunded and card given again. Third day the same! 3 bottles....£6.60 paid in total, 60p refunded plus £6 giftcards given....bottles were free in the end!

Lou Scotland

My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 e … My best one so far is when I saw £2 oven trays clearly marked as "£2 each or 2 for £1". I obviusly bought 2 and was charged £4. Complained to cutomer servoices where they confirmed that the "2 for£1" card had been displayed in error. £3 refunded and then given a £2 giftcard, so Asda actually PAID me £1 to take 2 oven trays!Worcester sauce recently was priced at £2 on SEL but charged £2.20. 20p refunded and £2 card received. Next day used card to buy another bottle....still charged £2.20 so refunded and card given again. Third day the same! 3 bottles....£6.60 paid in total, 60p refunded plus £6 giftcards given....bottles were free in the end!

It's hardly rocket science ewwaxo.

Banned

Transformers

I wasn't aware of this policy, so thanks very much for sharing Lou … I wasn't aware of this policy, so thanks very much for sharing Lou Scotland. :)It's hardly rocket science ewwaxo.

i'm scared of the customer services lady.

ewwaxo

Awwwww, don't be mate.

Hopefully next time, you will be successful. Don't let one noob, put you off all of them.

Banned

Transformers

Awwwww, don't be mate. :)Hopefully next time, you will be successful. … Awwwww, don't be mate. :)Hopefully next time, you will be successful. Don't let one noob, put you off all of them.

dude she looked like this.

http://scary.hostei.com/arcade-game/img/picture+scary+witch2.jpg

Banned

which Asda in scotland btw Lou?

Original Poster

ewwaxo

which Asda in scotland btw Lou?

One of the Edinburgh stores, but this policy is nationwide.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

dude she looked like this.

markq

I you scottish by any chance Lou?(not just the username giving it away … I you scottish by any chance Lou?(not just the username giving it away btw )

Yep, and if you are implying that we are mean, we're not! Saving cash is quite another thing, though, and I'm quite happy to take as many giftcards as asda want to give me!

Banned

Lou Scotland

One of the Edinburgh stores, but this policy is nationwide.

lol no wonder

Original Poster

Transformers

I wasn't aware of this policy, so thanks very much for sharing Lou … I wasn't aware of this policy, so thanks very much for sharing Lou Scotland. :)It's hardly rocket science ewwaxo.

Many people aren't aware of this because they certainly don't publicise it. I knew about it but was told in one store that the policy didn't exist (wrong) and then, after checking with management - that it only applied to 'supercentre' stores (also wrong). Even when I emailed customer services they told me that it as clearly stated in the Asda magazine (no, it wasn't).
Finally got a clear response from them, but it pays them not to publicise it! Sorry....I now have

Original Poster

nemesiz

So if I buy Five loaves and two Fishes I can feed 5000 people and receive … So if I buy Five loaves and two Fishes I can feed 5000 people and receive 2500 Sestertius from Asdaus?

You probably could if the till charged more than the shelf price!

Original Poster

ewwaxo

I usually ask for the overcharged amount to be refunded and then, if it looks like they won't bother to offer a giftcard, I smile sweetly and say "I believe that you issue a £2 giftcard for being overcharged?". Usually works unless it's some newbie who doesn't know what they are doing and then I enlighten them

Lou Scotland

The point I was making is that it applies to each item but not multiples; … The point I was making is that it applies to each item but not multiples; even the stores are a bit hazy on that one so I was giving examples. Nothing complicated!

Never said it was complicated. Calm down or you'll end up losing your £60 gift card

Original Poster

fps_d0minat0r

its on their site

Thank you! Very helpful but I notice it doesn't explain about the different item/multiple item thing. (Once I was overcharged for 2 different items and the CS person said I was only entitled to one £2 card. I soon put them straight....;)

Original Poster

Extract from email response from Asda;

"Thank you for contacting us regarding our policy on overcharging on products in
Asda stores.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been overcharged on various items at our store
in Leith. I would like to assure you that we have a very thorough procedure in
our stores, of checking that the product goes through the till at the price
marked on the shelf. Therefore I'm disappointed to hear that on more than one
occasion, you have found this to not be the case.

We do certainly have a policy in our stores, whereby if you are overcharged on
an item, you will receive a refund on the excess you've paid, as well as £2 on a
gift card as a gesture of goodwill. If you are overcharged one more than one
item, you will be given £2 as goodwill for each different item. Therefore if you
buy multiples of one item which go through the till at the wrong price, you will
receive one £2 gift card, plus the appropriate refund, but if you buy two
different items for which you are overcharged, you will receive £4 on a gift
card.

I'm sorry to hear this hasn't appeared to be the case when you have visited our
Leith store recently, and I will be contacting the store to make sure that all
my colleagues there are aware of how the policy works, so you shouldn't have any
more problems regarding this in the future. I'm very sorry about the confusion regarding your usual store. I will now
contact the store, and make them aware that the policy
applies per different item, not per separate receipt. I can confirm that we
operate the policy on overcharging for goods in all our stores across the
country, regardless of their size.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us, and if you have any
further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards

ASDA Service Team
Tel: 0800 952 0101

Original Poster

ed1980

Never said it was complicated. Calm down or you'll end up losing your … Never said it was complicated. Calm down or you'll end up losing your £60 gift card

oO

Banned

right everyone start posting overpriced stuff in asda

go -:)

£6.60 paid in total, 60p refunded plus £6 giftcards given....bottles were … £6.60 paid in total, 60p refunded plus £6 giftcards given....bottles were free in the end!

I thought you said multiples didn't receive an extra £2?

I guess your local customer service assistants know you well?

Original Poster

Johnboy_1975

I thought you said multiples didn't receive an extra £2?I guess your … I thought you said multiples didn't receive an extra £2?I guess your local customer service assistants know you well?

No, multiples only receive £2.
That was 3 separate transactions on 3 different days. They should have changed the shelf price straight away but didn't, and it wasn't until 3 days later they got around to changing it. Even if it had been separate transactions on the same day it wouldn't have mattered, it's only a multiple if it's the same transaction (the same receipt).

i go there late evening and never anybody on CS desk.
always loads of misprices though, my local store is rubbish at updating price labels

Original Poster

tommay

i go there late evening and never anybody on CS desk.always loads of … i go there late evening and never anybody on CS desk.always loads of misprices though, my local store is rubbish at updating price labels

You could make a small fortune then :)...there's always lots of people filling shelves at my local Asda late in the evening, if you ask one of them I'm sure they would point you in the right direction to get a refund sorted out.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

right everyone start posting overpriced stuff in asdago -:)

You want me to start? Notebook today in Leith store, shelf price £1, charged £1.50. Bar code was different but that was their mistake, not mine, so 50p refunded and £2 card received (Don't all rush at once, though, they only had a couple of those notebooks left and that was at lunchtime today!!). Well, you did ask....:p

ewwaxo

so how many loaves of bread and pints of milk do I need to buy to make … so how many loaves of bread and pints of milk do I need to buy to make £60?

depends.....can you walk on water and heal lepers?

I bought a systema bottle which said £1.50 on the shelf, got home, saw they charged me £2, checked online (£2), went to asda a few weeks later, left it in the car with receipt to check first (and photo) the shelf price (which was £2)
couldnt be bothered to go back to argue the case, just incase they point out Im mad bro. so stole a tv on the way out.

damn thieves.

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat

I bought a systema bottle which said £1.50 on the shelf, got home, saw … I bought a systema bottle which said £1.50 on the shelf, got home, saw they charged me £2, checked online (£2), went to asda a few weeks later, left it in the car with receipt to check first (and photo) the shelf price (which was £2)couldnt be bothered to go back to argue the case, just incase they point out Im mad bro. so stole a tv on the way out.damn thieves.

On a serious note, always check your receipt before leaving the store (I try to keep an eye on the prices as they are being rung through, but not easy, or go to a self scan). If you realise when you get home, phone them and ask them to check, and then they will keep a note of it until you go into store.

I'm always getting overcharged in my local asda and often follow them when they go and check as have been known to remove the shelf edge label completely then come back and say no sorry it's right etc just no ticket out yet!
I got 10 asda AAA batteries today clearly marked at £2.88 but went through at £3 so managed to get another £2 gift card

What is Tescos policy?

Original Poster

bunny_boiler

I'm always getting overcharged in my local asda and often follow them … I'm always getting overcharged in my local asda and often follow them when they go and check as have been known to remove the shelf edge label completely then come back and say no sorry it's right etc just no ticket out yet!I got 10 asda AAA batteries today clearly marked at £2.88 but went through at £3 so managed to get another £2 gift card

That's the way to do it! Next time you are in the store, just check that the label has been changed....my local store is very lazy about that so I just buy the item again, so another gift card!

Lou Scotland

That's the way to do it! Next time you are in the store, just check that … That's the way to do it! Next time you are in the store, just check that the label has been changed....my local store is very lazy about that so I just buy the item again, so another gift card!

Ooh good idea x

Original Poster

bunny_boiler

What is Tescos policy?

I actually don't know! I remember that there was a bit of confusion about that....they had a double the difference refund policy for a while but last time I was overcharged in Tesco they just refunded the overcharged amount. I will check when in Tesco!

Original Poster

A bit off topic but today, in Morrisons, I took 2 packs of 4 Birds Eye garlic and herb chicken thingies out the freezer where they were clearly marked £1.62. Bargain! I then noticed another stack of the same product next to them with a label clearly saying £3.25. I asked a manager-type person what price was correct and he said they had been on offer but that had ended and the higher price was correct. However, as I had taken 2 packs from the lower price section, he told a supervisor to make sure I was charged the lower price. He didn't have to do that so thank you Morrisons!

Lou Scotland

A bit off topic but today, in Morrisons, I took 2 packs of 4 Birds Eye … A bit off topic but today, in Morrisons, I took 2 packs of 4 Birds Eye garlic and herb chicken thingies out the freezer where they were clearly marked £1.62. Bargain! I then noticed another stack of the same product next to them with a label clearly saying £3.25. I asked a manager-type person what price was correct and he said they had been on offer but that had ended and the higher price was correct. However, as I had taken 2 packs from the lower price section, he told a supervisor to make sure I was charged the lower price. He didn't have to do that so thank you Morrisons!

Yes he did otherwise he was in danger of a visit from trading standards. By law they have to sell it to you at the lowest advertised price.

Although you didnt get a great deal i imagine they were bogof at 3.25.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions