Asda pizza counter ! poor hygiene

Posted 14th Jan 2021
I went to get a pizza make your own from Asda where the staff prepare it for you, but the counter was empty. I noticed a lady on the shop floor messing around in the fridges stacking products, she left the shop floor walked straight behind the counter with no gloves on and started making my pizza with her bare hands !

Covid aside I thought it was was the bare minimum standard practice to wash hands before food preparation at home never mind at a major supermarket serving the public .

I got the pizza walked down the isle and dumped it !

No chance I’m eating that ! Very tempted to make a complaint to the manger in-store.
Community Updates
New Comment

42 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    ashmac14/01/2021 15:16

Anyone else seen these practices ?

Would of been better to of asked the person serving you why they didn't wash their hands and put gloves on. Or speak to someone before leaving the store.

However, being realistic, by the time it's cooked in the oven I very much doubt there would of been much to worry about

Edit - I'm not in any way saying what she did is ok or acceptable (edited)
    So you just dumped it in the aisle. I hate it when you walk around the supermarket and see people that have picked up, say from the chilled cabinets, changed their mind and just left the item in the middle of say the tea aisle. Why didn't you just say to her you had changed your mind and given the reason.

I expect they picked you up on cctv
    ashmac14/01/2021 15:56

I put it in the chiller

For someone else to buy?? If you didn't think it was good enough for you to eat and that there was reason to complain it had not been hygienically made, why leave it somewhere someone else could pick it up and buy it?
    Option 1: Address the situation in-store with a view to it being rectified to everyones benefit

Option 2: Whinge to a bunch of strangers on t'internet to make yourself feel better

deleted91754814/01/2021 15:46

There is no requirement for food handlers to wear gloves. I personally …There is no requirement for food handlers to wear gloves. I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with this, but if I did, I'd have mentioned it there. It seems to me that it's always people that have never worked in the food industry that have these kind of ridiciolous standards.I feel people are far too quick to call a manager over this kind of stuff. Potentially putting a persons job at risk over something so trivial that you didn't eat, particularly during these times, just seems petty to me.

I wouldn't have thought that it would be putting a person's job at risk at all. If the OP had raised their concern with a manager it's likely that either A) The manager would say "Don't worry, it's just standard procedure, no hygeine regulations were breached", or B) The manager would apologise and say something like "Sorry, correct procedure wasn't followed, let me get another one made for you and I'll remind the staff member of the procedures to follow". Nobody would be losing their job over it, and if you highlighted perhaps a lack of hygeine training so that the department staff could be educated on it going forward then surely that would actually be a good thing.
    I’m sure I will get stick for this but everybody has different thresholds on things.
    Me personally wouldn’t of bothered me but if it’s something that you feel needs to be addressed you should of mentioned it to someone in store.
    I’m sure many many things go on behind our backs in supermarkets! Many moons ago when I was a teenager just leaving school, I found myself working on produce at ASDA. The produce manager would always open pre-package products (out of date) and place them in the loose packaged version on that item.
    A lot of things happen behind our backs.
    There is no requirement for food handlers to wear gloves. I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with this, but if I did, I'd have mentioned it there. It seems to me that it's always people that have never worked in the food industry that have these kind of ridiciolous standards.

I feel people are far too quick to call a manager over this kind of stuff. Potentially putting a persons job at risk over something so trivial that you didn't eat, particularly during these times, just seems petty to me. (edited)
    deleted419714/01/2021 15:42

you wouldn't see a top chef in a restaurant wearing gloves to prepare food

deleted419714/01/2021 15:40

Food handlers must not multi task when wearing gloves as this may cause …Food handlers must not multi task when wearing gloves as this may cause cross contamination.

Did you guys miss the bit where the OP said that the person handling the food ungloved was literally just "on the shop floor messing around in the fridges stacking products"?
    ashmac14/01/2021 15:16

deleted91754814/01/2021 15:46

There is no requirement for food handlers to wear gloves. I personally …There is no requirement for food handlers to wear gloves. I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with this, but if I did, I'd have mentioned it there. It seems to me that it's always people that have never worked in the food industry that have these kind of ridiciolous standards.I feel people are far too quick to call a manager over this kind of stuff. Potentially putting a persons job at risk over something so trivial that you didn't eat, particularly during these times, just seems petty to me.

bbc.co.uk/new…228

The tests in the programme linked above prove that most people don't wash their hands after going to the loo. This means that you are likely to get e coli in food that is prepared by ungloved or unwashed hands.
    Just so you know, it is correct to not wear gloves. It’s actually more unhygienic to wear gloves as you cannot feel when something is on your hand and needs washing eg when sugaring donuts, you’d feel sugar on your hands, wash them, then get the bread off the trays. But hand washing should be done by everyone entering an open food area.
    Guaranteed they don't wash there hands when they go toilet either etc..
    .MUFC.14/01/2021 17:53

Put me right off my spicy beef pizza
    ashmac14/01/2021 23:29

What do you want me to do with it ? Put it in the bin . The women probably …What do you want me to do with it ? Put it in the bin . The women probably made up another 10 pizzas after me so me leaving it is not the issue

To be fair, if it's not good enough for you to eat why would you leave it for someone else to possibly eat? And if you thought she might be making another 10 after yours, good on you for doing your bit and pointing all this out whilst there at the time to potentially help someone else avoid your issue.

Oh wait, you didn't
    ashmac15/01/2021 00:07

Off topic , the issue is hygiene of Asda staff not where I leave a pizza ! …Off topic , the issue is hygiene of Asda staff not where I leave a pizza ! Jesus

Doesn't reflect well on you to be fair.
    Do food handlers have to wear gloves? It is not a legal requirement for food handlers working in a food business to wear gloves. If food handlers use gloves for handling food in your business you must ensure that they only wear a pair of gloves for a single task. Food handlers must wash their hands before putting gloves on and after taking gloves off. Food handlers must not multi task when wearing gloves as this may cause cross contamination.
    MadeDixonsCry14/01/2021 15:53

Did you guys miss the bit where the OP said that the person handling the …Did you guys miss the bit where the OP said that the person handling the food ungloved was literally just "on the shop floor messing around in the fridges stacking products"?

Not at all.
    Did you miss the part of my post that said
    Store members are trained to wash their hands at regular intervals
    I am not condoning them not washing their hands, I believe they should/have too. (edited)
    MadeDixonsCry14/01/2021 15:56

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40426228The tests in the programme …https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40426228The tests in the programme linked above prove that most people don't wash their hands after going to the loo. This means that you are likely to get e coli in food that is prepared by ungloved or unwashed hands.

I'm not sure one article targeted at ice servings in cafes is applicable to every food handling organisation nationwide. And well, if 70% of my food handled contains fecal matter as claimed, it's clearly not upsetting my stomach as it's being claimed that it should.
    I would expect at the very least a token hand wash and then for the to put gloves on before touching the food.
    Hallsie14/01/2021 16:24

I would expect at the very least a token hand wash and then for the to put …I would expect at the very least a token hand wash and then for the to put gloves on before touching the food.

Do food handlers have to wear gloves? It is not a legal requirement for food handlers working in a food business to wear gloves. If food handlers use gloves for handling food in your business you must ensure that they only wear a pair of gloves for a single task. Food handlers must wash their hands before putting gloves on and after taking gloves off. Food handlers must not multi task when wearing gloves as this may cause cross contamination.
    .MUFC.14/01/2021 22:53

You mean dingleberries?

Not familiar with topping, I’ll check it out thanks
    a666andy14/01/2021 23:45

To be fair, if it's not good enough for you to eat why would you leave it …To be fair, if it's not good enough for you to eat why would you leave it for someone else to possibly eat? And if you thought she might be making another 10 after yours, good on you for doing your bit and pointing all this out whilst there at the time to potentially help someone else avoid your issue.Oh wait, you didn't

Exactly.
    ashmac15/01/2021 00:07

Off topic , the issue is hygiene of Asda staff not where I leave a pizza ! …Off topic , the issue is hygiene of Asda staff not where I leave a pizza ! Jesus

Then tell Asda
    .MUFC.14/01/2021 17:53

What if it's a sloppy Giuseppe ?
    Author
    As said above rather than dumping it in the aisle you should have just taken it over to the customer services desk and asked if you could have spoken about it to a manager. That way they could have spoken to the person that made it and if necessary taken steps to ensure that correct procedures are followed. You could have also been provided with another one that was made in a proper way if need be but you should have just raised your concern there at the time.
    WHY DON'T DOMINO'S PIZZA MAKERS WEAR GLOVES?

Just as you wouldn't see a top chef in a restaurant wearing gloves to prepare food, our qualified pizza makers don't wear them either. Domino’s store members are trained to wash their hands at regular intervals, and we continually monitor and inspect stores to ensure these standards are adhered to.
    once a pair of gloves have been put on they're then 'dirty' after the first thing they touch anyway.
    Author
    JimboParrot14/01/2021 15:48

So you just dumped it in the aisle. I hate it when you walk around the …So you just dumped it in the aisle. I hate it when you walk around the supermarket and see people that have picked up, say from the chilled cabinets, changed their mind and just left the item in the middle of say the tea aisle. Why didn't you just say to her you had changed your mind and given the reason.I expect they picked you up on cctv

I put it in the chiller
    Author
    MadeDixonsCry14/01/2021 15:53

Did you guys miss the bit where the OP said that the person handling the …Did you guys miss the bit where the OP said that the person handling the food ungloved was literally just "on the shop floor messing around in the fridges stacking products"?

This was my issue not the fact that they had no gloves !
    Haircut_10014/01/2021 16:05

I wouldn't have thought that it would be putting a person's job at risk at …I wouldn't have thought that it would be putting a person's job at risk at all. If the OP had raised their concern with a manager it's likely that either A) The manager would say "Don't worry, it's just standard procedure, no hygeine regulations were breached", or B) The manager would apologise and say something like "Sorry, correct procedure wasn't followed, let me get another one made for you and I'll remind the staff member of the procedures to follow". Nobody would be losing their job over it, and if you highlighted perhaps a lack of hygeine training so that the department staff could be educated on it going forward then surely that would actually be a good thing.

OP isn't talking about raising the issue in store. I agree that raising it in store would probably heed the responses that you've suggested.

However, when a customer calls in after the event and given the tone of OP's post, that's when it becomes problematic for an employee. It means a manager having to speak to the employee about a complaint received, a defensive employee then having a crappy day from a complaint received and being put on edge for something that is ultimately pretty trivial to most people. I just feel from the perspective of the employee, address it there but don't call in and complain about something that you never bothered eating.
    deleted91754814/01/2021 16:07

I'm not sure one article targeted at ice servings in cafes is applicable …I'm not sure one article targeted at ice servings in cafes is applicable to every food handling organisation nationwide. And well, if 70% of my food handled contains fecal matter as claimed, it's clearly not upsetting my stomach as it's being claimed that it should.

Work with me here, dude. I'm a logical guy. just because the research was testing ice cubes, that should not remove the reasoning that the source of the fecal matter was staff not washing their hands. Also, because of the high hit rate of the samples, I'm pretty sure that it is safe to assume that the problem is with employee attitudes, as witnessed by the OP.

I do 100% get your 70% comment, but just because your body is ok with it, this does not mean it should be allowed to happen. I pray you are forever in the best of health no matter where your food comes from.

deleted91754814/01/2021 16:14

OP isn't talking about raising the issue in store. I agree that raising it …OP isn't talking about raising the issue in store. I agree that raising it in store would probably heed the responses that you've suggested. However, when a customer calls in after the event and given the tone of OP's post, that's when it becomes problematic for an employee. It means a manager having to speak to the employee about a complaint received, a defensive employee then having a crappy day from a complaint received and being put on edge for something that is ultimately pretty trivial to most people. I just feel from the perspective of the employee, address it there but don't call in and complain about something that you never bothered eating.

I believe that as this employee did not wash their hands when entering the food preparation area, they deserve a crappy day and yes, I do believe they deserve to be fired. This is something so basic, some poor person with low immunity could have had diarrhea for days due to this employee's low standards.

deleted419714/01/2021 16:03

Not at all.Did you miss the part of my post that saidStore members are …Not at all.Did you miss the part of my post that saidStore members are trained to wash their hands at regular intervalsI am not condoning them not washing their hands, I believe they should/have too.

This store member certainly didn't take their training seriously.
    Author
    psychobitchfromhell14/01/2021 16:42

For someone else to buy?? If you didn't think it was good enough for you …For someone else to buy?? If you didn't think it was good enough for you to eat and that there was reason to complain it had not been hygienically made, why leave it somewhere someone else could pick it up and buy it?

What do you want me to do with it ? Put it in the bin . The women probably made up another 10 pizzas after me so me leaving it is not the issue
    Author
    a666andy14/01/2021 23:45

To be fair, if it's not good enough for you to eat why would you leave it …To be fair, if it's not good enough for you to eat why would you leave it for someone else to possibly eat? And if you thought she might be making another 10 after yours, good on you for doing your bit and pointing all this out whilst there at the time to potentially help someone else avoid your issue.Oh wait, you didn't

Off topic , the issue is hygiene of Asda staff not where I leave a pizza ! Jesus
    This is terrible......buying a supermarket pizza, buy an oven and make your own, much nicer
    Author
    Emailed head office , got a reply they have passed it on to the stores manger who will let all staff know about the correct procedure when making fresh food and they should have washed there hands before making Any pizzas.

Job done ✅ (edited)
    ashmac17/01/2021 17:30

Emailed head office , got a reply they have passed it on to the stores …Emailed head office , got a reply they have passed it on to the stores manger who will let all staff know about the correct procedure when making fresh food and they should have washed there hands before making Any pizzas.Job done ✅

Good stuff. Hopefully you learnt a lesson as well.
's avatar
Top Merchants