Asda smart Price

I've recently started buying smart price and Asda own in order to see how much I could save on my shopping, as often the only difference is the packaging. I wondered if anyone would be interested in starting up a list. For example:

Asda smart price midget gems 175g for 27p are exactly the same as Maynards
asda smart price pitta breads 6pack 25p tend to split on the sides but Asda own pittas 47p 6 pack are just as good as the misson deli ones.

anyone interested?

31 Comments

asda smart price bran flakes taste just the same as kelloggs and are 71p for 750g compared to £2.18 for the same amount of kelloggs bran flakes

Banned

caggarooney;2876013

asda smart price bran flakes taste just the same as kelloggs and are 71p … asda smart price bran flakes taste just the same as kelloggs and are 71p for 750g compared to £2.18 for the same amount of kelloggs bran flakes

I used to work in a soft drinks factory and they used one conveyor belt for expensive juice and one for cheaper juice.

I think, it was the same stuff ;-)

I get smartprice kitchen foil, loo roll (unless we're having guests stay over!), kitchen roll, spagetti, orange juice, lemon squash.

I tend to try each product it once then decide - one to avoid is the smartprice balti sauce - we both nealy died after we had that! We've gone back to decent sauces now but just get them on multi buy. Just about to go back to making our own from scratch - since having the little un we reverted to sauces cuz it's a lot quicker\easier, now that shes 18 months we have some time again

worto03;2876188

I get smartprice kitchen foil, loo roll (unless we're having guests stay … I get smartprice kitchen foil, loo roll (unless we're having guests stay over!), kitchen roll, spagetti, orange juice, lemon squash.I tend to try each product it once then decide - one to avoid is the smartprice balti sauce - we both nealy died after we had that! We've gone back to decent sauces now but just get them on multi buy. Just about to go back to making our own from scratch - since having the little un we reverted to sauces cuz it's a lot quicker\easier, now that shes 18 months we have some time again

my dad buys loads of spice packets online at raffis spicebox
spicebox.co.uk/
he swears by them

spaghetti, blackcurrent juice and sausage rolls yummy!

Smoked back bacon, Smart Price £1.09 for 6 rashers, branded bacon £2.38. Used for bacon butties on Sunday morning, absolutely bob on :-D

i buy asda frosted flakes oh and kids prefer them and had malted wheaties for breakfast this mornin just as nice a shreddies

Original Poster

I tried Asda smart price Weetabix but jeez they were awful! Taste similar, but they're very thin and tend to break when you get them out.. . Although Asda own brand are absolutely fine

Asda smart price midget gems 175g for 27p are exactly the same as Maynards

No they are not. ASDA might even be nicer but Maynards are much softer and the blackcurrents ones are proper purple, unlike the ASDA pinky purple ones.

Original Poster

The asda smart price snacks (12 pack with S&V sticks, Onion rings and cheese curls) 52p. Really nice, although Tesco value equivalent are awful as they all tend to taste like a mixture of all flavours

i always thought smart price or economy was the same as normal food just cheaper non branded/marketed items..

The thing is you need to check what rubbish they put in them - they are cheap for a reason...Some ingredients that are in more expensive products are substituted by something similar but not as good for you. (although with sweets there's nothing good for you in them - doesn't stop me eating waaaay too much though).

Original Poster

I always thought that too, I'd heard stories year ago about Armani making M&S suits for example, which is why I thought of doing it. . I do agree that the majority is just the packaging, so I reckon a lot of people would be able to cut their shopping bills in half. . . Just embarrassing if you bump into someone with your over flowing smart price trolley!

yep, many items are just in different packing, some are not so nice tho, like burgers...yuk! but the jaffa cakes are ok

Original Poster

with what you were just saying Bigfootpete, I was just reading on the MSE forum about the substitutions. For example, they were saying with cheap end biscuits they might use dried eggs, whereas the more expensive ones they use very fresh eggs.

Original Poster

The site Garri referred to earlier is well worth a read. . I'm on page 4 of 54, think I'll be here all night!

i use the smart price baby wipes for parrot poo,buy sp kitchen foil,loo rolls,cling film,cloths,scrubbing pads and my littlest loves the choco rice,alternative to coco pops!

hi yes good shout!! we buy smartprioce choc digestive biscuits they are 25p not sure how much mcvities are these days way over a pound i know, we also buy smartprice foil and various food that is asda own make. I think a lot of it you should try it once and if no good dont buy again, as we have to have heinz soup and heinz beans but everyone toi their own choice!! just hide all the smart price stuff with your whoops in bottom of your trolley lol

We much prefer cheapo chocolate digestives, they taste alot more wholemeal-y and satisfying. Not sure about the dried vs. fresh egg thing but I can't say I've noticed the difference, perhaps when one has their entire head stuck in the tin it's not your first thought? Smartprice foil is top knotch, and though my house might be full of ecover I've still got my secret stash of smart price pine fresh!!

smart price meatballs are the same as campbells,

also i have to say smart price casserole sauce is ace for making sausage casserole!! Its 30p a jar!!!

Smart Price Bol Sauce at 27p a jar is fine , not ragu type but we eat it now.

Smart Price ravioli my son loves and the macaroni cheese in a tin.

Like someone else pointed out, the 17p squash is fine, as well.

ps I now do my shopping online @ asda using the free delivery codes

I buy as many smart price products as i want as NOONE will see me!!

Sorted!!

Banned

smart price custard crems are the same as the rest.

Banned

I love smart price stuff. Just check the fat content on some stuff though, especially the minced meat!!!

I've recently started using the internet for grocery shopping and alternate between Tesco and Asda, I've used the smart price foil, its fine for lining the grill pan etc. spart price beetroot is fine too :thumbsup:

Helen-Leeds;2878709

I always thought that too, I'd heard stories year ago about Armani making … I always thought that too, I'd heard stories year ago about Armani making M&S suits for example, which is why I thought of doing it. . I do agree that the majority is just the packaging, so I reckon a lot of people would be able to cut their shopping bills in half. . . Just embarrassing if you bump into someone with your over flowing smart price trolley!

:? why is it embarrassing??
i always buy them. most smartprice items fine. potatoes are half price compare to asda's own brand just not washed! .
others whi give you funny look it is their lose!! it does not bother me a bit.

one to avoid is vegitable instant soup i think they are 26p for 4!
awfull test like you know what i mean!!!:shock:

I am sure there is / was a website that actually lists what store foods were made by what manufacturer etc.

If I come across it again I will keep you informed.

its a case of trying them really. some of the smart price is yuk others taste the same. same with asda brand name. sometimes there is just no substituting like with heinz spaghetti hoops.

and another thing to know is if you buy smartprice goods when you do your online shop, if its out of stock they will substitute it with higher price item, and price match! thats great for me!! I always buy smart price!

don't buy the toilet tissue though. its wafer thin and you need half a roll just to wipe a wee without going through the tissue. tmi.I have kids lol!!! i have to invest in antibacterial handwash to compensate!

I just got the smartprice tuna and beans, they are just as good as any of the others

Original Poster

I've seen the site that Gerry refers to too. You type in for example 'jaffa cakes' and it's some food critic that's tried the brand against smart price etc and rates them out of 10. I thought I saved it into faves but can't find it. I know I did come across it under the MSE 'great disgused own brand hunt' if anyone can be bothered trawling through the 50 + pages. It was a really good website though.
By the way, I bought Asda smartprice mozarella for 50p and thought that was lovely.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …814
    2. word survey11
    3. What would be HELL to you?2227
    4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710953

See more discussions