Asda Smartprice corned beef warning

Found 13th Feb 2012
Having picked up a tin of Asda Smartprice corned beef (340gms) I noticed they had changed the tin shape,now looks like a tin of spam.

Anyway I bought it and when I opened it the first thing I noticed is it didn't look like corned beef,more like luncheon meat,but beef instead of pork.The taste was disgusting,its going back today for a refund.
Be warned this so called corned beef is made in........Romania !!!!,Not South America where most of it comes from
Community Updates
54 Comments
pics??
Does smartprice corned beef need to come with any additional warning other than its name???
Sorry OH is in the process of returning it.Their website still shows the old style tins,but they have changed all the smartprice labels and in this case the tin shape.Also the price was £1.58 a tin,not £1.39 as on their website.
master_chief

Does smartprice corned beef need to come with any additional warning … Does smartprice corned beef need to come with any additional warning other than its name???

I'm just saying it looks and tastes nothing like corned beef as we know it.I just thought I would warn people of the fact thats all.In the past I have found just as good as other brands of corned beef
Edited by: "UnclePotter" 13th Feb 2012
deleted265520
Smart price corned beef? I'd rather starve.
dtovey89

Smart price corned beef? I'd rather starve.

corned beef is corned beef

except when its made in a completely different country bit like coffee thats been grown in tunbridge wells ,,would you >?
Bin it and buy a proper tin!
Feed it to the dog - it's the same stuff but worse.
wanderer

corned beef is corned beefexcept when its made in a completely different … corned beef is corned beefexcept when its made in a completely different country bit like coffee thats been grown in tunbridge wells ,,would you >?

+1

Thats my point.........Corned beef made in Romania.......:p
Asda smart price corned beef
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/475379_o.gif
Fail on so many levels

1. Buying corned beef
2. Buying "smart price" corned beef
3. Highlighting both of the above facts.
Corned beef is what we won wars on....food of the Gods,Corned beef and picallili sandwiches...you've never lived.:D
Corned beef sandwiches nicely toasted in a Brevill sandwich maker are fab
OP you = brave

a) you admit to the whole internet the fact that you buy not only asda smart price stuff but asda smartprice corned beef

b) you admit to the whole internet that you will happily return asda smart price items and so will your wife

c) i like the tiles in your bathroom

[img]byfiles.storage.msn.com/y1p…POi?PARTNER=WRITER[/img]
UnclePotter

Sorry OH is in the process of returning it.Their website still shows the … Sorry OH is in the process of returning it.Their website still shows the old style tins,but they have changed all the smartprice labels and in this case the tin shape.Also the price was £1.58 a tin,not £1.39 as on their website.

Prices on web and in store do not have to be same
http://i.imgur.com/ZpqDT.jpg

LMFAO

dataload

OP you = bravea) you admit to the whole internet the fact that you buy … OP you = bravea) you admit to the whole internet the fact that you buy not only asda smart price stuff but asda smartprice corned beefb) you admit to the whole internet that you will happily return asda smart price items and so will your wifec) i like the tiles in your bathroom [img]http://byfiles.storage.msn.com/y1pfU6gySCg6nBIEPVljPcacoLaB8yX__N7bIRUvsna7Wp81spUGbWG3s0y0Ueh9POi?PARTNER=WRITER[/img]

dontasciime

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Erda/Tea_Bagging_Cat.jpg
dataload

OP you = bravea) you admit to the whole internet the fact that you buy … OP you = bravea) you admit to the whole internet the fact that you buy not only asda smart price stuff but asda smartprice corned beefb) you admit to the whole internet that you will happily return asda smart price items and so will your wifec) i like the tiles in your bathroom [img]http://byfiles.storage.msn.com/y1pfU6gySCg6nBIEPVljPcacoLaB8yX__N7bIRUvsna7Wp81spUGbWG3s0y0Ueh9POi?PARTNER=WRITER[/img]

Thank you.you are very kind.

Although why you felt the need to post a picture of your bathroom is beyond me.

I only use Andrex,I need something extra soft with all the corned beef I eat X)

Edited by: "UnclePotter" 13th Feb 2012
Why the hell is corned beef so expensive is beyond me , i dont eat it personally but Husband asked me to get him some as a change from ham etc......paid about £2.50 for 4 slices oO..and that smelt and looked like something you would give the dog so god knows what cheap tinned stuff smells /tastes like ..yuk lol

I have never had meat from a tin ever, I don't intend to ever go there either.

UnclePotter

Corned beef is what we won wars on....food of the Gods,Corned beef and … Corned beef is what we won wars on....food of the Gods,Corned beef and picallili sandwiches...you've never lived.:D

Purely down to the simple fact that the boys had two choices: 1) take a headshot 2) get back home to real food asap. With those two choices I'd want to win a war as quick as poss.

shopstilldrops

Why the hell is corned beef so expensive is beyond me , i dont eat it … Why the hell is corned beef so expensive is beyond me , i dont eat it personally but Husband asked me to get him some as a change from ham etc......paid about £2.50 for 4 slices oO..and that smelt and looked like something you would give the dog so god knows what cheap tinned stuff smells /tastes like ..yuk lol

Being a bit of a corned beef expert

About 3 to 4 years ago it was 39p a tin for a very long time then suddenly it doubled to 78p,it then has slowly crept up to over £1.50 a tin with the likes of Fray Bentos well over £2 a tin oO
As you say God knows why it is so expensive.
UnclePotter

Being a bit of a corned beef expert :DAbout 3 to 4 years ago it was 39p a … Being a bit of a corned beef expert :DAbout 3 to 4 years ago it was 39p a tin for a very long time then suddenly it doubled to 78p,it then has slowly crept up to over £1.50 a tin with the likes of Fray Bentos well over £2 a tin oOAs you say [b]God knows why it is so expensive[/b].

Just asked Hubby and he reckons its because thet have to cook it twice and because it comes from South America ( as you said ) just told him about your smart price one fron Romania and he said ewwww X).....gonna stick with ham lol .
shopstilldrops

Why the hell is corned beef so expensive is beyond me ,

payback for the Falklands.
shopstilldrops

Just asked Hubby and he reckons its because thet have to cook it twice … Just asked Hubby and he reckons its because thet have to cook it twice and because it comes from South America ( as you said ) just told him about your smart price one fron Romania and he said ewwww X).....gonna stick with ham lol .

It mostly comes from South America, always has - it's actually a cured product so the cooking twice thing is odd!
Corn Beef tastes like crap no matter the tin.

http://paintingmama.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/snob121.jpg

Legendary snobbing going on in here.

Tescos marketplace potatoes, quality potatoes atm, better then any lead brand for roasting, jackets, mash etc.
Sainsbury basic corned beef is the best. (chilled one)
I'll sleep safe and sound tonight knowing someone on HUKD is tracking the price of corned beef.
dimebars

I'll sleep safe and sound tonight knowing someone on HUKD is tracking the … I'll sleep safe and sound tonight knowing someone on HUKD is tracking the price of corned beef.

Good .......well after all this is a deals site
aldis corned beef slices are nice
Gotta love corned beef. Corned beef sandwich and English mustard......a true sandwich!!!!
dimebars

I'll sleep safe and sound tonight knowing someone on HUKD is tracking the … I'll sleep safe and sound tonight knowing someone on HUKD is tracking the price of corned beef.

Worry not my friend,the corned beef angel will be watching over you....:D
No creatures were harmed in the making of this product!
Be warned this so called corned beef is made in........Romania !!!!,Not South America where most of it comes from

Even back then Be warned (_;)
youchoose

Be warned this so called corned beef is made in........Romania !!!!,Not … Be warned this so called corned beef is made in........Romania !!!!,Not South America where most of it comes fromEven back then Be warned (_;)

make your mind up (france or romania)

hotukdeals.com/mis…413

either way, its about as bad as 'food' can get
Why is it unexpected for the OP to be buying smart price items, we are all on a deals forum.
Saying that I will admit, I do go for a branded CB, but given the latest horsemeat drama, it seems that trusting well known brands isn't going to always get you a better product.

I love Cornbeef & Beetroot sarnies, or Cornbeef hash.
Ive just realised this is nearly a yr old!!!!!!
skellysgirl

Ive just realised this is nearly a yr old!!!!!!

Probably is a yearling
it was totally corned horse
Who the hell buys smartprice tinned meat anyway?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions