Expired

Asda warranty for household goods.

Found 29th May 2014
Do you need the receive to return a faulty product?
My hot water kettle is not working anymore. I do have the box. But not the receive. Its about a year old.

Any experience with this sort of thing? Or should I just bin it?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
receipt ?
A year old kettle is about as long as they live,seems like it's time for a new one.
Original Poster

Thanks, it started to make very loud noises while heating up.

soozyqt

A year old kettle is about as long as they live,seems like it's time for … A year old kettle is about as long as they live,seems like it's time for a new one.

Asda have a very strict policy that faulty electrical goods within warranty must be accompanied by the original receipt.

You could try ringing the Asda product helpline - they can be far more helpful than in store. They may be able to authorise an exchange. Some batches of kettles are known to be faulty.

Did you purchase in store or at Asda Direct?

If the kettle is an Asda brand the serial number on the base often gives a clue to when it was made - this may help identify if the kettle is under a year old.

I suceeded once without a receipt as I knew the exact date, rough time and method of payment used when I returned a failed kettle in store. The customer service desk ran a database check on kettles sold that day and my purchased showed up.

Edited by: "barneybar" 29th May 2014
If asda still sell this kettle they will probably exchange it. I returned an iron recently which was about 9 months old and had no receipt which they exchanged without fuss. It is worth a try if they still sell it.
Did you pay by cash or card? Check credit or bank statements if paid for by card if you need proof of purchase - receipt is best, but not only, proof.
soozyqt

A year old kettle is about as long as they live,seems like it's time for … A year old kettle is about as long as they live,seems like it's time for a new one.

Really? Lol, that makes my 15yr old kettle that I still use daily a real trooper then...

(Cheap Hinari "Summer Meadow" plastic kettle - bought from Argos.)

As to the OP's question: Ask yourself the same question if YOU were the retailer. Would you accept someone returning an "about" a year old appliance with NO receipt. Yes, some retailers might as a goodwill gesture but many will take the hard line. If the kettle (or any appliance) is a brand that is solely distributed by the retailer then it can work FOR you. I'd still back it up with some sort of proof of purchase; like a card/bank statement; as someone already pointed out.

So, worth a try - yes. But, don't get angry/annoyed if they refuse as they are quite within their right to. Best way (in my experience) is to be as nice as possible and play for sympathy as much as you can. Don't demand anything - instead try pleading with the CS assistant. I can honestly say that I've wanted to help more people in the past who've approached from a defensive standpoint rather than a full-on assault!

Good luck, OP. Now, go put the kettle on...

Oh...

(_;)

cheap kettles do make loud noises

probably the seal on the lid needs a good clean as maybe steam is escaping so it is overboiling

Have you tried descaler? It's about £1.50 for 3 sachets or you can just pour white vinegar in and leave it over night.

Original Poster
Thanks for all your advice. Its an Asda brand. I'll try the descaler first, then I'll try to give it back.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions