Found 8th May
I have Triton t300si 10.5kW electric shower and need A 30mA residual current device (RCD )45A. there are a few 50A MCB on EBAY not 45A. So do you think I can use this or I have to get 40A because some reason I can not find 45A in the market thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Bathroom & kitchen are perscribed areas where only qualified sparks should be working/designing circuits.

The fact you need to ask others leads me to believe you are not qualified to work in this area.

MikeT

Bathroom & kitchen are perscribed areas where only qualified sparks … Bathroom & kitchen are perscribed areas where only qualified sparks should be working/designing circuits.The fact you need to ask others leads me to believe you are not qualified to work in this area.

Completely wrong. The OP is legally allowed to do the wiring himself as long as its inspected before and after - and also after making a building regulation application (regardless of wet zones etc)
Instead of being a HUKD lawyer with incorrect facts, try helping.

Edited by: "INDUSTRYHATER" 8th May

MikeT

Bathroom & kitchen are perscribed areas where only qualified sparks … Bathroom & kitchen are perscribed areas where only qualified sparks should be working/designing circuits.The fact you need to ask others leads me to believe you are not qualified to work in this area.

​What does perscribed mean?

After nearly burning down my bathroom because I personally installed a higher KW shower unit than my wiring could handle, I'd recommend getting a qualified electrician to install this for you rather than getting (probably conflicting) advice on here!

Hasano

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I have Triton t300si 10.5kW electric shower and … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I have Triton t300si 10.5kW electric shower and need A 30mA residual current device (RCD )45A. there are a few 50A MCB on EBAY not 45A. So do you think I can use this or I have to get 40A because some reason I can not find 45A in the market thanks\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

What make is your current consumer unit (fuse box), there are quite a few makes that are compatible with others, knowing what type you have currently we may be able to offer a compatible brand in 45amp...?

You can put whatever amp rating MCB you want in as long as the cable can handle it. The current rating is there to protect the cable, not the device which should have it's own protection.

*I'm not a qualified sparky so feel free to shoot me down

andynicol

What make is your current consumer unit (fuse box), there are quite a few … What make is your current consumer unit (fuse box), there are quite a few makes that are compatible with others, knowing what type you have currently we may be able to offer a compatible brand in 45amp...?

Hang on. That's a sensible answer. Nice to see not everyone on HUKD is bickering!

Original Poster

Amazon\x09\x09Your Orders\x09 | Your Account | Amazon.co.uk
Order Confirmation

Hello,
Thanks for your Amazon Marketplace order with Electricbase. We’ll let you know once your item(s) have dispatched. Your estimated delivery date is indicated below. You can view the status of your order or make changes to it by visiting Your Orders on Amazon.co.uk.
Arriving:
Thursday, May 11 -
Saturday, May 13

Your delivery option:
Standard Delivery

Your Orders\x09
Your order will be sent to:

Order Details
Order #016-7983863-5523127
Placed on May 08, 2017
\x09BG CUSHOW1-01 1 Way Shower Consumer Unit with 63A / 30mA RCD + 50A MCB
Condition: New
Sold by Electricbase
\x09 \x09 \x09£12.88
Item Subtotal:\x09£10.73
Postage & Packing:\x09£0.00
Total Before VAT:\x09£10.73
VAT:\x09£2.15
Order Total:\x09£12.88
Selected Payment Method:\x09Mastercard

Original Poster

New message from: electricalsupplies_uk Top Rated Seller(11,032YellowShooting Star)
Hello,

Thank you for your message. Either the 40A or 50A would work for you.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Above answer comes from the company also I read all comments and I have got my answer thanks.

INDUSTRYHATER

Completely wrong. The OP is legally allowed to do the wiring himself as … Completely wrong. The OP is legally allowed to do the wiring himself as long as its inspected before and after - and also after making a building regulation application (regardless of wet zones etc)Instead of being a HUKD lawyer with incorrect facts, try helping.

Whilst you are correct, there are things to be aware of.

Part P states that anyone carrying out electrical work in a dwelling must ensure that reasonable provision has been made in the design and installation of the electrical installations in order to protect any persons who might use, maintain or alter the electrical installation of that dwelling from fire and injury, including electric shock.

Assuming that the OP isn't a qualified sparky, he would need someone competent to 'design' what he is installing. Ie, ensuring that it is fit and safe for purpose, possibly carrying out calcs etc. It may sound pedantic, but the size of mcb/rcbo would differ depending on the size of the cable, and derating factors such as cable length, thermal factors ect. Should something go wrong, the Op would need to prove he had fulfilled this obligation.
It's also notifiable as a bathroom is a special location.
By the time he has paid a qualified sparks to advise him, and test, and notified building control, it would probably be cheaper, quicker and easier to get a part p registered installer to carry out the work for you.

I realise this was not the advice you were asking for, but bear in mind that there are around 12500 fires a year caused by sub standard work, and falling foul of part p regulations can carry large fines.

donthasslethe

Hang on. That's a sensible answer. Nice to see not everyone on HUKD is … Hang on. That's a sensible answer. Nice to see not everyone on HUKD is bickering!

I really don't get this site at times, ask the OP a very valid question which would help to provide a positive answer to the query and get voted down..:(

Hasano

New message from: electricalsupplies_uk Top Rated … New message from: electricalsupplies_uk Top Rated Seller(11,032YellowShooting Star)Hello,Thank you for your message. Either the 40A or 50A would work for you.Kind Regards,PaulAbove answer comes from the company also I read all comments and I have got my answer thanks.

10.5 kw is around 46 amps, so you don't want a 40 amp mcb. Also, the ebay seller cannot possibly advise you on what mcb to fit without a decent knowledge of the installation.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Foo fighters presale code.2829
    2. Xbox 360 - Noisy PSU?59
    3. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo213
    4. With or without cream?22

See more discussions