Asking for money off after home buyers report

Posted 23rd Oct
Need some advice here.

We recently found are perfect home , it’s a perfect location and priced well for the area .

The house is a probate and the mothers kids are selling the home as she has passed away .It’s took 5 weeks and we have only just started the process after are accepted offer because of the land being unregistered.

This week we got are home buyers report back and there’s two things that have me wanting to go back with money off as I was totally unaware of them. We are replacing heating and windows and doing the place up but the chimney has been removed from the bedroom and is not supported properly it’s basically sat on a concrete cill on the bedroom roof joists!

A builder says this would foist about £800 to have a beam put in , also the garage roof attached to house is asbestos there’s more around the old boiler and the flue pipe is made of asbestos so this need removing before we can start.
The cost of the removal of asbestos and replacement roof as well as chimney repair is about £5000 .

I’m in two minds

Do I leave it and not risk upsetting a seller who has just lost there mum and possibly pull out of the sale

Or ask for £2500 half the cost to the repairs, the repairs came up as a 3 on survey saying work must me carried out
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Hell yes - tell them to either get the work done or take the money off.

Asbestos is not cheap to remove and is hazardous, and the chimney is something they need to address.

They are probably keen to get the deal done, rather than have you walk away.
Really it just depends on how much you want the property and whether someone is likely to want it more than you. If a property has great potential then you risk losing it to a cash buyer who doesn't need a valuation and is prepared to take a punt because they'll be looking to turn the property around in a short space of time. Ask yourself how long was the property on the market, how much (if at all) you got it under asking etc.

If I was in your position I would certainly get my solicitor to ask the question because unless someone has a basic valuation (the one below yours) then this will come up on every further report so its not something they can avoid. I don't think its unreasonable (especially the chimney issue).
For the sake of a couple of grand?!? I wouldn’t bother. If it’s as perfect as it appears to be for you. Yes in practice it would be great if they did contribute, but ask yourself would you be willing to pay £5k extra to secure in a bidding war.
29 Comments
Cheeky,
You should of factored in a budget for some repairs. I've had this before.

Depends on how much you want the sale.
bagga21223/10/2019 12:19

You should of factored in a budget for some repairs. I've had this before. …You should of factored in a budget for some repairs. I've had this before. Depends on how much you want the sale.

I have enough money to cover the repairs but a lot of people in my family are saying I must knock it off the price, I’m thinking it’s going to cause issues between me and the vendor and my worry is the think what will he ask
For next and pull the sale
Hell yes - tell them to either get the work done or take the money off.

Asbestos is not cheap to remove and is hazardous, and the chimney is something they need to address.

They are probably keen to get the deal done, rather than have you walk away.
For the sake of a couple of grand?!? I wouldn’t bother. If it’s as perfect as it appears to be for you. Yes in practice it would be great if they did contribute, but ask yourself would you be willing to pay £5k extra to secure in a bidding war.
if I had the work done, I’d up the price of the house to reflect that.
Worth a conversation and just highlight your thoughts may meet you half way
Really it just depends on how much you want the property and whether someone is likely to want it more than you. If a property has great potential then you risk losing it to a cash buyer who doesn't need a valuation and is prepared to take a punt because they'll be looking to turn the property around in a short space of time. Ask yourself how long was the property on the market, how much (if at all) you got it under asking etc.

If I was in your position I would certainly get my solicitor to ask the question because unless someone has a basic valuation (the one below yours) then this will come up on every further report so its not something they can avoid. I don't think its unreasonable (especially the chimney issue).
Seems it’s 50/50 on what’s best . It’s a tough call to make . I’ve put aside 30k to carry out the work on the whole house but mite not be that much I paid 275 and there a house around the corner that just went up after a renovations
and sold within a week for 325k the exact same lay out as are house we are buying but ares has a an extension and the back looks out of country side and is also in a quiet location so any money I spend is a really good investment

The survey report did say with all the issue factored into the report the asking price is a fair value

Might just take the hit
You can try, but it will go one of two ways!

If there is more than one son/daughter selling then they will all have to agree thus receiving a reduced share so might politely say '..sling your hook...' If the house is as good as you say then they might well find another buyer fairly quickly.

I guess it depends also if you want to risk them putting it back on the market given the amount you will have paid out so far - Searches, Homebuyer Report, Mortgage Valuation fee plus work already undertaken by Solicitors, and then you're back to square one house hunting again.

If the house needs work, what's an extra £5,000 plus you have got relatives doing the work so that is going to make saving obviously not the asbestos removal.
Did the mortgage valuation come in at £275,000?
magicjay198623/10/2019 13:11

Really it just depends on how much you want the property and whether …Really it just depends on how much you want the property and whether someone is likely to want it more than you. If a property has great potential then you risk losing it to a cash buyer who doesn't need a valuation and is prepared to take a punt because they'll be looking to turn the property around in a short space of time. Ask yourself how long was the property on the market, how much (if at all) you got it under asking etc. If I was in your position I would certainly get my solicitor to ask the question because unless someone has a basic valuation (the one below yours) then this will come up on every further report so its not something they can avoid. I don't think its unreasonable (especially the chimney issue).

Well there was 8 viewings in the first day ! I made sure I was first through the door and loved the potential of the house.i went in with a plan to be upfront from the off and told him how good of a position we are in no chain ect ect and by chance he knew my uncle which helped, he rang the vendors there and then on the day and secured the house for us even with loads of viewings

The house would be snapped up in a heart beat, off advice I’m going to not ask for money off and play it safe as 5k will long be forgotten once we are in a new home
ashmac23/10/2019 13:14

Seems it’s 50/50 on what’s best . It’s a tough call to make . I’ve put asid …Seems it’s 50/50 on what’s best . It’s a tough call to make . I’ve put aside 30k to carry out the work on the whole house but mite not be that much I paid 275 and there a house around the corner that just went up after a renovations and sold within a week for 325k the exact same lay out as are house we are buying but ares has a an extension and the back looks out of country side and is also in a quiet location so any money I spend is a really good investment The survey report did say with all the issue factored into the report the asking price is a fair value Might just take the hit

I don't think you have anything to lose because they would have also put money on account for their solicitor so I think its worth the question. If they don't agree then nothing lost. I think its highly unlikely they'd pull out as a result of a question.
JimboParrot23/10/2019 13:14

You can try, but it will go one of two ways!If there is more than one …You can try, but it will go one of two ways!If there is more than one son/daughter selling then they will all have to agree thus receiving a reduced share so might politely say '..sling your hook...' If the house is as good as you say then they might well find another buyer fairly quickly.I guess it depends also if you want to risk them putting it back on the market given the amount you will have paid out so far - Searches, Homebuyer Report, Mortgage Valuation fee plus work already undertaken by Solicitors, and then you're back to square one house hunting again.If the house needs work, what's an extra £5,000 plus you have got relatives doing the work so that is going to make saving obviously not the asbestos removal.

I’m getting the bathroom,kitchen and heating done by family members in the trade for free so I’m Saving a lot there
ashmac23/10/2019 13:18

Well there was 8 viewings in the first day ! I made sure I was first …Well there was 8 viewings in the first day ! I made sure I was first through the door and loved the potential of the house.i went in with a plan to be upfront from the off and told him how good of a position we are in no chain ect ect and by chance he knew my uncle which helped, he rang the vendors there and then on the day and secured the house for us even with loads of viewings The house would be snapped up in a heart beat, off advice I’m going to not ask for money off and play it safe as 5k will long be forgotten once we are in a new home

8 in a day Ok...I take back everything i've said in this thread...
I think asking for half the cost off is a reasonable request, can you go through their estate agent?
magicjay198623/10/2019 13:20

8 in a day Ok...I take back everything i've said in this thread... …8 in a day Ok...I take back everything i've said in this thread...

There was a que almost ! As I left a rang rover pulled up and I was like oh no we are doomed haha but the agent was a brilliant wish and liked us from the off ..sometimes you need look as the house we bid before in the same area we put a bid of 5k over asking and still didn’t get it
Edited by: "ashmac" 23rd Oct
I'd proceed and bite the cost. I'd query the asbestos cost though, that seems high for what you're talking about. My flue and stack I removed (properly and to regs I will add) but the quote was approx £600 for removal and disposal. Garage roof was similar and that's a 25ft garage panel. A replacement roof was anywhere from 800-1700.
Ask for the £5000 to be deducted... I wouldn’t worry about upsetting them it’s a grand each... if they don’t sell find somewhere else...

why would you need advice on saving money...
IMO if the house as you say is the ...
"perfect home , it’s a perfect location and priced well for the area .

Show the estate agent or vendor he report and the cost involved to rectify the issues and ask if they would be prepared to either......
1) rectify it at full cost to them..
or
2) meet you half way with cost.

If the answer is no to both and you really want the house then bite the bullet and accept it as it stands.
If you don't ask you never get.
DevilsReaper23/10/2019 15:49

Comment deleted

If I had a pound for every spelling mistake I see, I wouldn't need hukd
Normally i'd say ask them to do the repairs or take the money off the value of the house.

However as the house is perfect for you, and they have had alot of views i wouldn't rock the boat.

You never know, they might have been able to start a bidding war but just want to conclude the sale with the first offer accepted. Their thoughts if they hear about the 5k might be if it's not going to be a straight forward transaction they might as well have a bidding war as they might as well get more money for hassle.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 23rd Oct
ashmac23/10/2019 17:11

Hate bad grammar it’s “i’ve [Image] “

It's not even that. It's I've
Is it actually asbestos? When we sold our flat, the home report stated the rates ceiling was asbestos. The flat was built about 10 years after it was banned. Surveyor said, it could be old stock? Absolute gob

We got it tested and as suspected it wasn’t and he amended the report.
Oneday7723/10/2019 20:27

Is it actually asbestos? When we sold our flat, the home report stated the …Is it actually asbestos? When we sold our flat, the home report stated the rates ceiling was asbestos. The flat was built about 10 years after it was banned. Surveyor said, it could be old stock? Absolute gob We got it tested and as suspected it wasn’t and he amended the report.

Suspect but it’s a old garage and it has corrugated cement panels it looks like it
Just buy it!!! How often do people put off buying something and when they go back its gone. Don't lose this for the sake of the repairs when you gain to make a profit on it anyway.
ashmac23/10/2019 17:11

Hate bad grammar it’s “i’ve [Image] “

So sad going through previous comments to look for a mistake. What you pulled was an auto correct error on the phone and not with my grammar.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants